October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Ogre...Kickstarter...you in?

More
12 May 2012 18:27 #125394 by Dogmatix
Pffft. I *did* back it, so I can pick up anything you might really want from the shop if you end up deciding to pull the trigger on a retail copy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2012 07:45 #125430 by Notahandle
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. Your previous post did make me wonder whether I'll regret passing on the Kickstarter.

More
13 May 2012 14:54 #125444 by rog5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix

More
13 May 2012 20:20 #125456 by Dogmatix

rog5 wrote: More info on the other $4500 sheets:
forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1371500&postcount=42

If that 9th sheet is, indeed, a distribution promotion, it's going to be the lone pain in the ass in the lot I suspect. I surely don't need or want a 3rd copy of the game just to land that one.

More
14 May 2012 07:22 #125482 by ehanuise

Dogmatix wrote:

rog5 wrote: More info on the other $4500 sheets:
forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1371500&postcount=42

If that 9th sheet is, indeed, a distribution promotion, it's going to be the lone pain in the ass in the lot I suspect. I surely don't need or want a 3rd copy of the game just to land that one.

Completion compulsion at its finest :p
I'd like to have them all as well, but honestly, if one's missing... so be it. There's plenty of game in the box already.

More
14 May 2012 14:37 - 14 May 2012 14:46 #125509 by Dogmatix

ehanuise wrote: Completion compulsion at its finest :p
I'd like to have them all as well, but honestly, if one's missing... so be it. There's plenty of game in the box already.

Yea, I've *always* had a profound weakness for expansions and promo items--variant and errata counters for wargames, usually found in long-OOP issues of some magazine are always tops on my "gotta catch 'em all" list. Unlike most addicts, I don't deny my problem; I *embrace* mine...Hell, I've built it a comfortable little room all its own with comfy furniture and lots of natural light so it can grow and flourish. (Though my wife is now talking about scaling back on work to spend more time with Der Kinderspawn, so I'm thinking this year is going to be the last where I can indulge my hobbies without much budget analysis first).

Besides, aren't you "Mr. Flatlined Games"? I'm thinking you should also embrace and monetize this weakness of mine and do up a small bonus sheet of real counters for the "Dragon Rage: Bunny of Death" Easter special. :) While you're at it, if you'd be so kind as to retrieve my left arm from your postal service and ship it back with whatever your next game is, I'd appreciate it. I'll see if I can't figure out how to return the favor for you if you're buying the Ogre KS package ;-)

More seriously, as mentioned before, I do still play Ogre/GEV, so bonus material would likely, depending on what's on the damn sheet, actually get used. The Nihon stuff and FireMountain Games' campaign kit would get played. BGG's terrain overlays probably would depending on what's on there [bridges, water, and some winter terrain would be extremely nice, especially if they do a Battlesuit set in the same vein as the 1" counter bonus Ogre set down the road, which I think is a real possibility...]. Ogre variants and "flat Ogres"? Yea, probably [especially flat Ogres--I'm a klutz and thus not compatible with "standup" units like the "leader counters" GMT often includes. I can't see knocking these models over, but I'm sure I can find a way--it's one of my Jedi skills, after all]. The Vatican stuff? If it doesn't come with dedicated scenarios and is just a set of standard units in purple? Eh, now THAT would be just completism in action. I'm hoping, actually, that there will be some horse-trading of those sheets down the road; though I suspect it will be dominated by the "straight to ebay" crowd...
Last edit: 14 May 2012 14:46 by Dogmatix.

More
14 May 2012 15:10 - 14 May 2012 15:15 #125514 by ehanuise

Dogmatix wrote: Besides, aren't you "Mr. Flatlined Games"? I'm thinking you should also embrace and monetize this weakness of mine and do up a small bonus sheet of real counters for the "Dragon Rage: Bunny of Death" Easter special. :)

Yup, it's me. I'd love to, but at the moment I'm building up cash to pay for the new Essen release, so anything else it out of the question. Flatlined Games is just me, financing the games stuff with my real job (business analysis consulting), and I (foolishly but proudly) am totally self financed. No bank loan, no obligations, but no boatload of cash to do cool stuff (yet) either. Hopefully so, over a couple year it'll be a profitable enough business that I can live off it and start doing cool things like printing that kind of goodies.

Dogmatix wrote: While you're at it, if you'd be so kind as to retrieve my left arm from your postal service and ship it back with whatever your next game is, I'd appreciate it. I'll see if I can't figure out how to return the favor for you if you're buying the Ogre KS package ;-)

I'd love to but I'm impaired, having left a leg and hand in the Ogre KS shipping fees to europe ($191, yikes!) ^^

Kidding apart, I'm hard at work on the next release, involving robots, gems, Belgian designer Philippe Keyarts and talented artist Kwanchai Moriya, which draws great robots. And gems. And a Naming contest.
Last edit: 14 May 2012 15:15 by ehanuise. Reason: Me got no brainz

More
14 May 2012 15:39 - 14 May 2012 15:49 #125520 by Dogmatix
Yea, the international shipping is just scary. I really think SJG had absolutely no concept of the demand, let alone international demand, this thing would generate. "35 year-old game in a box the size and weight of a small dog? Who the hell is going to buy this thing? ... Oh. Well, uh...hrm. We'll get back to you on this."

I wish I had thought about this previously, though. For the handful of international FA:Tties interested, I suspect I could have had an order sent to me and opened up the package, punched it to reduce some weight, and re-sealed it to re-ship. I'd at least then be able to mark the customs form "Used board game/gift $49." The problem, ultimately, is going to be the size of the box itself as USPS is utterly unforgiving when it comes to oversized packages.

When it hits retail distribution, I may be able to do this for a couple of FA:Tties that are are unable to buy locally. Shipping will still be a big number, but it may actually be cheaper to buy in the US and ship depending on the currency and exchange rate at the time.

On an unrelated note, looking forward to seeing more on your new game--that sounds like it should be both entertaining and a bit goofy. Is Noble Knight going to be in on this one too? (I'm happy to send monies to YOU, but, echoing the sentiments of any number of international geeks looking at US-only distribution systems, your postal service can bite my shiny metal ass. ;))

Edit: Hrm, robots pushing each other around for shiny objects? Is "Bite My Shiny Metal Ass" taken? Shame that licensing cost for an image of Futurama's Bender would likely be crippling. I also wonder how many entries for "Gem-blow" you'll get...
Last edit: 14 May 2012 15:49 by Dogmatix.

More
14 May 2012 17:02 #125539 by TheDukester

Dogmatix wrote: I really think SJG had absolutely no concept of the demand, let alone international demand, this thing would generate. "35 year-old game in a box the size and weight of a small dog? Who the hell is going to buy this thing? ... Oh. Well, uh...hrm. We'll get back to you on this."

SJG had more than one critical fail in their little KS adventure. In some ways, they were just utterly without a clue.

But their enthusiasm, the high level of communication, and their willingness to admit mistakes really helped them out.

More
14 May 2012 17:35 #125547 by ehanuise
That KS starter project was like the spanish inquisition : no-one can prepare for that :p
They run after it all the way, but they did a fantastic job of catching up. And you can be sure the car wars KS will be quite different in that aspect.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds