October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Ogre...Kickstarter...you in?

More
12 Apr 2012 20:57 - 12 Apr 2012 20:58 #122733 by Michael Barnes
Asking for money UP FRONT from customers to buy a VAPORWARE product is NOT how professional business is conducted. A professional business doesn't ask for money- and take it- to "see" if doing something is viable. They take a risk, market, and hopefully provide a desirable product. I completely agree that business integrity DOES NOT include effectively asking the customer to foot the bill in advance for a product, and claiming that "backing" a project is in any way an investment is borderline fraud.

There are, believe it or not, certain kinds of projects where Kickstarter makes sense. But consumer products like this made by professional publishers are NOT those projects.

I completely agree with Wadenels.

People need to quit getting excited about buying a new board game and start thinking about what they're actually doing by buying these Kickstarter projects in advance of them being sourced, manufactured, or even possibly fully developed.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2012 20:58 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Fallen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2012 20:58 #122734 by VonTush

Michael Barnes wrote: If I jimmy up some counter sheets and post a rulebook online, maybe take out an ad or two, would you give me $20,000 to print Milch und Gherkin?

No. I haven't backed a KS product yet and I'm fairly certain that Milch und Gherkin wouldn't be the first one. Ogre may have that honer.

More
12 Apr 2012 23:32 #122743 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: People need to quit getting excited about buying a new board game and start thinking about what they're actually doing by buying these Kickstarter projects in advance of them being sourced, manufactured, or even possibly fully developed.

Yeah, but until that happens Kickstarter is the land of stupid money. It doesn't surprise me to see big publishers giving it the once over. At a minimum you get exposure.

S.

More
12 Apr 2012 23:36 #122745 by Mr Skeletor
Kickstarter - proving there is a sucker born every target goal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Ancient_of_MuMu, engineer Al

More
13 Apr 2012 04:35 #122758 by wolvendancer

Michael Barnes wrote: I was ready to jump, but then I remembered my distate for Kickstarter...professionally run, operated, and managed businesses DO NOT "crowd source" their funding. They put money on the line and if they deliver a quality, saleable product then they make a profit. By putting your money up front, there's no real incentive for them to give you value for your money. Not like SJ has done that in years anyway.

This is, not to put too fine a point on it, complete horseshit.

Kickstarter is an amazing opportunity for artists and fans to take the labyrinthine, self-defeating, often corrupt 'publication and funding' bits out of the production of the things we love. I've backed five projects so far. In every single instance, the project I helped fund would not have been possible in a 'standard' creator environment. First bit of money was a band LP by a few acquaintances of mine who, despite being very talented, didn't have the money for studio time. Second, an independent film, which is in post- and looks great. And three video games, none of which would have been created in the current 'iPad game or blockbuster' video game environment.

Do all projects deserve funding? Of course not. Do people need to careful consider which projects are likely to move to completion (Kickstarter itself already has a vetting process)? Absolutely. Are there going to be failures? Sure, there will be money wasted, but hell, I waste money every year on ubstandard games movies etc, and I'm fairly stringent in my selection process (try to play beforehand, read multiple reviews, etc). At least this way I'm directly funding motivated artists. It's motivating, it's effective economics, and it's pure awesomesauce.

Finally, just because a business doesn't 100% fund their own projects does not mean, as you claim, that they have 'nothing on the line'. Reputation has always mattered in business, and that's true now more than ever. What do you think happens to Brian Fargo and his company if they don't produce a stellar Wasteland 2, after he's spent the last month pissing off publishers very publically? Something this side of insolvency? What about Hairebrained Schemes LLC and Shadowrun (neither company, by the way, able to fund either project)? Do think, perhaps, that (especially as Kickstarters tend to be much more proactive and educated about their projects) certain companies will accrue positive reputations, some less so, and if their only sources of funding comes directly from public will, that might affect the future of their companies? Existential threats sound like 'having something to lose' to me.

All this, and we haven't even spoken about the most interesting crowd-funded projects: projects that are charitable or human interest. The anti-Kickstarter crap on here and other geek forums is astounding.

TL/DR: Every issue listed in this thread re: Kickstarter is present in normal commerce as well. KS allows consumers to directly fund artists, and projects, they are excited by, projects that in many cases would never see the light of day otherwise. Use your brain, practice due diligence, then get involved.

Me? I have no intention of funding SJG, because the project doesn't meet my personal criteria. But if other people want their Ogre, all the power to them. Kickstart away, brothers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Schweig!, TheDukester, milgate, Dair

More
13 Apr 2012 08:48 #122768 by ehanuise

TheDukester wrote:

ehanuise wrote: ... proper, well established publishers should not have to use KS.

This is such horseshit.

Those publishers are also in business. And businesses — successful ones, anyway — are always on the lookout for new revenue streams and opportunities to reach new and/or broader audiences. Kickstarter is nothing more than a (potential) tool to make that happen. "Proper" has absolutely fuck-all to do with anything.

Even so. Does it make sense to give up 10% of your cash just to 'be on KS' ?

More
13 Apr 2012 11:59 #122777 by luckyb0y
10% seems steep but once you factor in logistics and exposure it is definitely worth it. Even guys like Schafer or Fargo had trouble getting funding until they got to Kickstarter. They are the big names in the industry and they couldn't get publishers to spend a lousy couple of millions for their pet projects. In terms of average video game budget this is fuck all and they still weren't able to secure it. I doubt they could do that on their own just setting up pre-orders on their own website. Sure they would probably get some funding but I guess nowhere near what they got through Kickstarter.

More
13 Apr 2012 12:51 #122782 by Schweig!
Kickstarter's success doesn't surprise me at all. I'm just pissed I didn't think of it first... In essence it is a post-capitalism method of producing goods and all that was required is getting enough people with shared interest together from around the world. The internet does that. It's entirely possible that more and more non-essential items will be produced that way and I don't blame established publishers for jumping on the bandwagon, even though bigger companies should have the resources to simply develop their own Kickstarter-type market research tool. After a few catastrophic failures I guess we'll see safer methods of funding. What the boardgame Kickstarter programs have in common is that they actually abuse the system - Kickstarter initially wasn't meant to provide the funder with a product of actual worth, only a token of support. But, as I said, the way Kickstarter has developed isn't surprising, and maybe in the future all production of non-essential goods could be handled that way - it would certainly be more democratic than all market systems that ever existed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, wolvendancer, red black

More
13 Apr 2012 13:28 #122784 by El Cuajinais
This thread has reinforced my view that a good portion of hobby gamers are super-consumers. Their tastes may be niche compared to the general population, but their insatiable hunger for the new products is probably in the same class as the “trendy” women who collect purses and shoes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor, Shellhead, scissors, Bullwinkle, DeletedUser, Fallen

More
13 Apr 2012 13:32 - 13 Apr 2012 13:33 #122787 by scissors
"...their insatiable hunger for the new products is probably in the same class as the “trendy” women who collect purses and shoes."
Comment of the month far as I'm concerned.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 13:33 by scissors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Fallen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds