October 09, 2023
2589 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2785 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

[PbF] Funnel World!

More
23 Nov 2013 09:28 - 24 Nov 2013 22:30 #165853 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Solvi
Generally follow the crowd. If we come near any important looking partial buildings, especially anything ornately decorated---break off and peer into any accessible ruins that appear to be of significant or important buildings

Jorda
Follow the crowd from my position in the rear---I assume we're advancing into the lava field.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2013 22:30 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2013 18:25 #165859 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Gergda
I try to get close to Thorgana. "I expect you know a thing or two about mining," I say. "This lava is fairly brittle, if we find something suspicious I expect it wouldn't take much to dig it out." I scan the lava rock for anything that looks out of the ordinary.

Othilde
I shuffle along with the pack, trusting our leader. I keep quiet. I pick my nose.

More
23 Nov 2013 19:03 - 23 Nov 2013 19:04 #165860 by Da Bid Dabid
Steini:
Not quite used to being in such a large group, I slowly distance myself and move to the periphery. I carefully scan the area surrounding the ruins looking for newly cut trail or lasting signs of some other recent activity.

Gera:
Stays with the crowd, waiting for an order or call for assistance.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2013 19:04 by Da Bid Dabid. Reason: added recent

More
23 Nov 2013 21:18 - 23 Nov 2013 23:32 #165862 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Hey everyone, I just wanted to post a few points of clarification for the thread, so we're all on the same page. Da Bid Dabid PM'd me with some questions to which everyone would probably like to know the answers.

As you've seen, l will post narrative text in italics, and put questions or prompts that need responses in bold.

Out-of-character (OOC) commentary is totally fine for this thread. Everything that follows one of your character's bolded names should be in-character, but anything you post before that, or any post that does not include a bolded character name, will be considered OOC. Feel free to talk about whatever you want -- we should converse, joke, ask rules questions, etc. just like we might if we were sitting around a table together.

I will address narrative posts to "everyone" or to specific characters. Whenever I ask everyone what they do, it helps me if you post something for each of your characters even if they do nothing (i.e., "I wait to see what happens"), just so I can track who has chimed in and who hasn't.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of that.

Thanks!

PS So far everyone is doing a great job, everything is proceeding as it should.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2013 23:32 by Jason Lutes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Da Bid Dabid

More
24 Nov 2013 13:55 #165878 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Gudfu

Mutters to herself 'I wish these idiots would get on with it....'. Looks around, finds herself staring at Brother Thunkes arse for rather too long. Looking for some kind of entrance to the depths (not Brother Thunkes arse...the monastery, in case anyone was wondering).

Etirr

Still doesn't really understand WTF is going on and remains convinced all these people are out to help him get his marriage papers. Essie and Etirr follow the general crowd with some occasional kissing as they are newly wed.

More
24 Nov 2013 21:50 - 24 Nov 2013 21:53 #165893 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Arkif

I give a bit of an eye roll looking at the mixed reactions of the motley crew that has followed me up the mountain side.

"Not my problem." I think to myself. "Except my foolish sister. Why did she follow me when I left town after that night? Lord only knows."

My problem is to find that murderous monk. If he's here he's going to pay.

I move forward looking for any signs of recent activity. Remains of camp fires, trash, and the like. Perhaps any likely locations a person might take shelter from the elements.

Salbja

I move forward feeling for the proper aura. The crystal will call to me. I stretch my fingers wide so that I might better feel it.

Did that man just kiss that sheep? Ah, kindred souls are not bound by physical form. Happiness and harmony to them.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2013 21:53 by repoman.

More
25 Nov 2013 08:46 #165915 by Jason Lutes
Status: waiting on stormseeker75. No rush, just keeping everyone apprised.

More
25 Nov 2013 09:46 #165918 by stormseeker75
Sorry, no time for love today. I'll hit this up tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
25 Nov 2013 20:29 #165967 by stormseeker75
Sorry folks. I had a cluster F at work today.

Thorgana - slightly slurred speach Gergda, you've come to the right dwarflady. My hammer is ready. Keep your beady eyes peeled. Gera, let me show you how the dwarves explore caves. Our race is superior to all others, especially underground. *BURP*

Gunnva - GUNNVA NEED TO GET BACK TO WATER. LETS FINISH LOOKING IN HOLE.

More
26 Nov 2013 08:30 - 26 Nov 2013 08:32 #165994 by Jason Lutes
Arkif
You lead the way cautiously between two sets of crumbling walls, toward the middle of the ruins, with the mob trailing behind you. You scan your surroundings as you go, keeping an eye out for anything of interest.

In the course of describing what your character does, you will trigger "moves," which are mechanics attached to certain actions, classes, items, environment, and other things. "Basic Moves" are moves available to all characters. In this case, Arkif has triggered the basic move "Discern Realities," which reads,

"When you closely study a person or situation, roll +WIS."

The basic roll in Dungeon World is a 2d6 roll, usually modified by an ability modifier (in this case, WIS). To make a roll, you roll 2d6, add them together, add the relevant ability modifier, and report the result.

So, Arkif, Roll +WIS, and report the result.

Brother Thunke
Noting the columns as the most identifiable feature, you move to the front of the crowd so you'll be the first one to get a closer look, testing the lava with your staff as you go. One of the benighted villagers, a sickly-looking man carrying a rusty sickle and a burlap sack, tags along behind you, asking questions about the High Spirit of the Morning. You ignore his blasphemous mutterings, intent on trying to piece together this puzzle. Work for the disciplined mind!

You reach the nearest pair of columns and count four more pairs in varying states of collapse, lined up in a northerly direction. You study the broken stones and visible foundation lines, trying to recall what you know of Hvitric architecture.

You have tiggered the move "Spout Lore," which reads,

"When you consult your accumulated knowledge on something, roll +INT."

Roll +INT, and report the result.

Illdauga
Staying close to Arkif, you scan the ruins, noting the way the lava poured over, in and around the structures that once stood here, tracing back the direction of the flow to the slope of the mountainside where it meets the eastern edge of the Fell. You realize that most of that slope, though overgrown with low scrub, is lava, and—it goes up as far as you can see, perhaps to the mountain's very top.

Fride
You lead your ox a short distance across the cracked and porous rock to a semicircular wall of stone that seems to indicate the place where a tower once stood. Leaving Yamir on less treacherous ground, you clamber over a heap of masonry into the area enclosed by the wall, and start to poke through the debris to see what you can find.

You are attempting to discern realities. Roll +WIS, and report the result.

Valga
Low gray clouds hang across the sky from horizon to horizon, so thick that even the gaze of Nyabja herself might not pierce them. You can't see more than a hundred yards up the slope before it dissolves into mist; who knows how far you would have to climb to reach the summit of this mountain they call Hvitr's Horn—to reach the Cradle itself. You sense the approach of rain.

Everyone
Even if I haven't addressed you directly in this post, you may still write a reaction or response to something another character does. Or you can sit back and see what happens. Also, depending on the situation, in some cases I will wait for all characters who have been prompted before making a new post, and in other cases I will respond to each character as they answer.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 08:32 by Jason Lutes.

More
26 Nov 2013 08:44 #165995 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Arkif

Roll 2d6+0 = 4

The dice will kill you. The dice will make you king!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
26 Nov 2013 09:01 #165998 by DukeofChutney
Brother Thunke

Roll 2d6=9 -1int = 8

If only this dirty urchin would give me the peace to think!

More
26 Nov 2013 11:38 #166008 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Fride
2d6 (9) + WIS (2)= 11
(humming to myself as I start to poke around)

More
26 Nov 2013 12:54 - 26 Nov 2013 12:56 #166015 by Jason Lutes
Arkif
Across the board, when you make a 2d6 roll, a 10 or better is the best outcome, a 7-9 is a success with some cost or compromise, and a 6 or worse is trouble and 1 point of experience (XP).

The results of the discern realities move are as follows:

10+: Ask the GM 3 questions from the list below, and take +1 forward when acting on the answers.
7-9: Ask the GM 1 question from the list below, and take +1 forward when acting on the answer.
6-: Mark XP, and the GM makes a move.

• What happened here recently?
• What is about to happen?
• What should I be on the lookout for?
• What here is useful or valuable to me?
• Who’s really in control here?
• What here is not what it appears to be?

You rolled a 4, so mark XP and ignore that list of questions. This means you get 1 experience point, which you should track on your character sheet. Congratulations!

"The GM makes a move" means that I can do any number of things, which I won't go into here. Suffice it to say that my moves are usually, in varying degrees, "bad" for the characters. The important thing to realize is that the move I make when you roll a 6 or less may not necessarily pertain directly to what you just did, and it might make something happen "behind the scenes." GM moves can be anything from an ill omen to the introduction of a new threat to straight up damage.

You notice an area where the lava is particularly thick, maybe five feet deep, frozen in mid-flow as it squeezes through what looks like might have been an alleyway between two buildings. The light catches on something small and shiny, either resting on or embedded in the lava. You'll have to move closer to find out what it is.

What do you do?

Brother Thunke
The results of the spout lore move are as follows:

10+: The GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the subject relevant to your situation.
7–9+: the GM will only tell you something interesting—it’s on you to make it useful.
6-: Mark XP, and the GM makes a move.

You rolled an 8, so:

You decide that, judging by their diameters and the amount of ground across which they are spaced, the columns must have supported the ceiling of the largest room in the settlement. And as any visit to a Hvitric place of worship has taught you, the largest room would have been the central chamber of the main temple.

You recollect Elder Sarantor's teachings: temples to the Storm of Justice are always oriented so the congregation faces north, toward Skeikip, Hvitr's castle in the clouds. Which would put you—yes, there are the stone jambs that mark the threshold! You are standing at what used to be the entrance to the temple. You are also a genius.

What do you do?

Fride
Following the same results noted for discern realities above, you get the 10+ result:

10+: Ask the GM 3 questions from the list below, and take +1 forward when acting on the answers.

• What is about to happen?
• Who’s really in control here?
• What here is not what it appears to be?

So, ask 3 of the listed questions, and I will answer them. Note that if you ask a question that is not relevant to your situation, I will tell you as much and it will be a wasted question. So consider your questions carefully.

"Take +1 forward" means that you get +1 to your next relevant roll. In this case, your next relevant roll will be any roll that relates to any of the questions that you ask. The next time you make such a roll (and only the very next time), you get to add 1 to that roll.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 12:56 by Jason Lutes.

More
26 Nov 2013 13:02 #166018 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: [PbF] Funnel World!
Fride

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.417 seconds