October 09, 2023
2606 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2807 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG announces - Imperial Assault

More
15 Aug 2014 19:21 #185009 by Gary Sax
^Sag, that's why they're being very smart in establishing the systems with original trilogy stuff. They're hoping Ep 7 will be good and then they can release multiple waves, maybe even another starter set, of new film stuff. But if it sucks they already got tons of sales off proven original trilogy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2014 19:22 #185010 by black inferno

madwookiee wrote: So why does the consumer - the one that creates demand, by definition - get a free pass? That's some dumbfuckery right there.

Should have quoted - I was responding to black inferno, not Barnes.

They don't get a free pass, I'm just not interested in calling other board members idiots. It's more interesting (and fair) to attack hegemonic entities like FFG - they're the big guy on the block, not x random overweight aspie down at the FLGS. Same reason why it's fun to rag on Gamestop or Wal-Mart.

More
15 Aug 2014 19:26 #185011 by Hex Sinister

black inferno wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote: For the record, before two years ago I owned absolutely ZERO Star Wars lisenced products. It's an empty niche

It's pretty cool of Lucasfilm to finally license the Star Wars brand to a third party.

Alright, wiseguy. Name 3 really good Star Wars board or miniature games in print right now that you could recommend to us all?

Also fuck off with the fat comments. Are you like 12? I know some cool dudes who are fat.

More
15 Aug 2014 19:27 - 15 Aug 2014 19:30 #185012 by Michael Barnes
I'll single out Barnes. If you watch the demo it, it is way too complicated and process heavy along with fiddly components. For those around here who are now bitching about how complicated FFG shit is, how it's horrifically bloated and they want to play games that only have one mechanic, don't fucking buy Armada. What is the problem???

I did watch it, and it looks...I dunno. I think you're likely right about that and I may not be in the market for it anyway. But I _do_ want a game like it, and there's lots that appeals to me about it.

I've never claimed to not be a completionist. When I revisted the LOTR LCG, I bought _everything_ that was available for it because I wanted to get into every nook and cranny of it. I bought all of Legendary when I tried it out. I wouldn't get into X-Wing if I could buy the Y-Wings but no A-Wings. That's on me, not FFG, of course. I get frustrated with games that have a lot of expansions or that I fall behind on, not because I feel like I have to horde the whole thing but because if it's a game I really like I don't want keyword text that's for something I don't have or scenarios I can't play because I didn't buy a particular item. And I don't appreciate "hooks" built into the product to upsell me on something else. Like the whole "Hey, you can have three of each card...but we only put two in this box" thing. Or when Mansions of Madness had a card that affected Fire Vampires...but no Fire Vampires anywhere in the package.

This is why I waited for the big box to get Blue Moon, for example.

But no, that's not FFG's fault, and I think it is correct that you don't HAVE to have it all. But that's really not the issue here, we're talking more about marketing and expectations as a consumer more than consumer decision-making.

I think.

Or does this have something to do with Obama?
Last edit: 15 Aug 2014 19:30 by Michael Barnes.

More
15 Aug 2014 19:31 #185015 by VonTush

madwookiee wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: No, I do agreee with you- they are responding to the market, and I do agree that they're doing the right thing by that. But I'm angry and old and want the market to be smarter and different. And it's friday and I want to fight about something.

Exactly what I'm saying - we're in complete agreement. As a game company, I wish they would put out something unique and edgy and non-licensed (or non-Terrinoth). As a business, they're fools to do so. Unfortunately.

Where's Corey K these days? I haven't seen anything from him in ages.

Like Android? Aye, Dark Overlord? Blood Bound? Planet Steam? Gearworld? Dungeon Fighter? The Last Banquet? Black Gold? Red November? Winter Tales? Rock Band Manager? Letters of Marque? Magnifico? And taking ownership of the Dust Games?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Aug 2014 19:34 #185017 by black inferno

Hex Sinister wrote:

black inferno wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote: For the record, before two years ago I owned absolutely ZERO Star Wars lisenced products. It's an empty niche

It's pretty cool of Lucasfilm to finally license the Star Wars brand to a third party.

Alright, wiseguy. Name 3 really good Star Wars board or miniature games in print right now that you could recommend to us all?

Hey, I'm not your little monkey. You said "products" - like, I dunno, Darth Vader power toothbrushes or R2D2 measuring cups. Which are both actual things, apparently.

I know some cool dudes who are fat

"I have plenty of black friends"

More
15 Aug 2014 19:34 #185018 by madwookiee

black inferno wrote:

madwookiee wrote: So why does the consumer - the one that creates demand, by definition - get a free pass? That's some dumbfuckery right there.

Should have quoted - I was responding to black inferno, not Barnes.

They don't get a free pass, I'm just not interested in calling other board members idiots. It's more interesting (and fair) to attack hegemonic entities like FFG - they're the big guy on the block, not x random overweight aspie down at the FLGS. Same reason why it's fun to rag on Gamestop or Wal-Mart.

People generally get what they want. If someone is really into cardboard-tasting pseudo-meat hamburgers, they'll buy Micky D's. There are other options available, but for some reason Micky D's still seems to sell a shitload of "burgers". I have to conclude, on some level, that means that people are genuinely getting something that they want when they eat at Micky D's. It makes no sense for me to shake my fist at the company and rage about their burgers.

Put another way - craft beer is experiencing a golden age right now, and Pete Coors gave an interview recently saying that he just can't understand it, can't understand why he's losing taps to craft beer. The answer is that people generally get what they want - and it seems like craft beer has hit a point where it has real, market-moving momentum. Pete Coors can't figure it out, but he's going to have to try a bit harder if he expects to stay in business for the long run. In this case, the market got more discriminating - I don't blame Coors for producing American light lager, because that's what people wanted for a long time. But times change.

I don't think anyone on here who buys a game and gets what he or she wants is an idiot. It might not be for me, but as long as someone gets his or her money's worth out of it, that's their call. I might wish that the market is other than what it is, but the only way that happens is if I buy what I want and try to convince other folks to do likewise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
15 Aug 2014 19:34 #185019 by VonTush

Michael Barnes wrote: Or does this have something to do with Obama?

I've already posted my complaint to his wall, and I assume before the weekend is out we'll have our Government Issued FFG Stamp Book to subsidize my game purchases.

More
15 Aug 2014 19:40 #185021 by madwookiee

VonTush wrote:

madwookiee wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: No, I do agreee with you- they are responding to the market, and I do agree that they're doing the right thing by that. But I'm angry and old and want the market to be smarter and different. And it's friday and I want to fight about something.

Exactly what I'm saying - we're in complete agreement. As a game company, I wish they would put out something unique and edgy and non-licensed (or non-Terrinoth). As a business, they're fools to do so. Unfortunately.

Where's Corey K these days? I haven't seen anything from him in ages.

Like Android? Aye, Dark Overlord? Blood Bound? Planet Steam? Gearworld? Dungeon Fighter? The Last Banquet? Black Gold? Red November? Winter Tales? Rock Band Manager? Letters of Marque? Magnifico? And taking ownership of the Dust Games?

But that's my point exactly. What happened to those games? They get printed, they don't catch on, and they go out of print. Also, you forgot Deadwood.

I'm not hating on FFG. I like a lot of their stuff. I'm just saying that I'm buying less FFG games now than I ever have. And this year's Gencon announcements included not a single game like that. I'm genuinely concerned that they're in the process of becoming another Hasbro - because if that happens, I expect that stuff like those games won't make the cut.

Do you think today's FFG would put out Android? I'd like to think so - but I'm not sure. And again, I say that with regret, not malice.

More
15 Aug 2014 19:40 #185022 by black inferno
Madwookie, for the record, I'm totally cool with just waving off the FFG stuff and talking about craft beers. I'm sipping a Stone Ruination as I chill here and lose my Friday Freakout virginity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, madwookiee

More
15 Aug 2014 19:49 #185024 by madwookiee
Well, craft beer is for suckers. I just finished up an excellent homebrewed maibock. Stop giving money to The Man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: black inferno

More
15 Aug 2014 19:50 #185025 by black inferno

madwookiee wrote: I'm genuinely concerned that they're in the process of becoming another Hasbro - because if that happens, I expect that stuff like those games won't make the cut.

FFG should really just go hard corporate and start churning out re-themes with random licenses a la Hasbro. That new Legend of Zelda Monopoly game? Fuck that, LoZ Talisman. Hell, do a Star Wars game with the Talisman/Relic system, I'd buy that shit.

More
15 Aug 2014 19:52 #185026 by black inferno

madwookiee wrote: Well, craft beer is for suckers. I just finished up an excellent homebrewed maibock. Stop giving money to The Man.

Is Samuel Adams the FFG of craft beer, or is FFG the Sam Adams of hobby games?

More
15 Aug 2014 19:52 #185027 by VonTush

madwookiee wrote: Do you think today's FFG would put out Android? I'd like to think so - but I'm not sure. And again, I say that with regret, not malice.

I think they'd put out whatever they think is going to make them money. In today's climate where procedure heavy games on their way out? Likely not.

Now look at a game like XCom, that I think is a huge risk. This is the game where they test the market to see if people will buy into a game with an app requirement. Sure it has the license but that at least gives it some base appeal and helps them hedge their bet.

More
15 Aug 2014 19:54 #185028 by madwookiee

black inferno wrote:

madwookiee wrote: Well, craft beer is for suckers. I just finished up an excellent homebrewed maibock. Stop giving money to The Man.

Is Samuel Adams the FFG of craft beer, or is FFG the Sam Adams of hobby games?

YOU WIN FRIDAY FREAKOUT
The following user(s) said Thank You: black inferno

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds