October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Recommend me some new music

More
14 Oct 2014 16:02 #188628 by Michael Barnes
Ex Hex is good ol' American power pop...Pretenders/Cheap Trick/Replacements. Pretty good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2014 13:56 #188667 by Columbob

stormseeker75 wrote: On the other hand, I've recently discovered that I like Judas Priest. Great music for running. I've listened to British Steel and some other greatest hits album. Any other Priest albums you really like?

Screaming and Painkiller are the two obvious ones after British Steel, and all three albums don't sound anything alike.

Personally I prefer their 70s output such as Stained Class, Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather (different titles in UK/US, Americans prefer killing stuff to helly stuff), Sad Wings of Destiny. Sin After Sin has great songs too, and Unleashed in the East is the live rendition of the 70s classics.

New album is good, if too long (ergo inevitable filler).

More
15 Oct 2014 14:06 #188670 by Columbob

wice wrote: I went on buying Accept's Hungry Years compilation album on cassette (plus another one that had both Helloween's Helloween EP and the Judas Maxi (Judas + Ride The Sky live), a fucking great purchase as well, I still think that Helloween was better off with Kai Hansen on vocals, and the much "harder" sound than their later, critically acclaimed stuff). I was at first disappointed to see that Hungry Years didn't have Midnight Mover, but that only lasted until I heard the first track, Fast As A Shark. This is the finest proto-Speed Metal song, and also one of the best metal songs ever, period.

Speaking of Helloween, if anybody has yet to hear Keeper of the Seven Keys I & II, do yourself a favour, go ahead and do that right now, especially the second one. Next 2 albums with Kiske on vocals are really uneven, even if Kids of the Century is a catchy hit.

The Andi Deris stuff is also really good, favourite album 2000's The Dark Ride. Unfortunately most people have stopped paying attention after the Keeper stuff and Kiske's departure. Wah-wah, Andi's not Kiske.

More
16 Oct 2014 15:04 #188748 by stormseeker75
Billy Bragg was kind of fun. Thanks, Thirsty!

Ex Hex is up now. Sounds kind of T Rex/The Sweet. I'm into glam rock. Big Mott the Hoople fan.

I'll try Helloween because hey, why not.

More
16 Oct 2014 15:13 #188749 by Michael Barnes
Columbob has the right of it- Keeper I & II are about all you need of Helloween. I actually saw them on the Headbanger's Ball tour, one of the first shows I ever went to. What an amazing bill. Anthrax (State of Euphoria tour), Helloween and Exodus. I thought I was so bad ass being 14 years old and walking into the Atlanta Omni, dropped off by my parents, wearing my denim jacket with a Nuclear Assault patch on the back.

Have you listened to Slade? Definitely worth a listen if you like Mott/The Sweet...if you want to really dig into the 2nd tier, check out Jobriath- he was championed as sort of an American Bowie and went on to become one of the first musicians to die of AIDS-related illness. Morrissey reissued his records on the Attack label a couple of years ago. If you REALLY want to excavate the tomb of glam rock, have a listen to Mud and Wizzard.

What about some classic Alice Cooper? You can't beat "Love it to Death", "Killers" or "Billion Dollar Babies"...fucking great records.

More
16 Oct 2014 15:43 #188753 by stormseeker75
This may sound like a travesty, but I've never listened to Alice Cooper. I'm seeing him open for Motley Crue in a few weeks.

< Hangs head low >

More
16 Oct 2014 15:47 #188754 by Columbob

stormseeker75 wrote: This may sound like a travesty, but I've never listened to Alice Cooper. I'm seeing him open for Motley Crue in a few weeks.

< Hangs head low >

Saw him open for Maiden in 2012 (he even went golfing right by my place that day), and a few years earlier before that at Heavy MTL, he still puts on a great show. Billion Dollar Babies rocks, if you're all the way up front you might catch some paper money with his face on the bills.

More
16 Oct 2014 16:08 #188758 by Michael Barnes
There's your mandate right there. Those three records and School's Out are all you need.

More
17 Oct 2014 09:40 #188795 by stormseeker75
Cool, thanks Barnes!

Helloween is pretty freakin' awesome. That's going on when I do my long run on Saturday morning.

I don't love power metal when I'm just sitting listening to music, but I do love it when I run. Really keeps me moving.

More
17 Oct 2014 13:29 #188814 by ThirstyMan
Stiff Little Fingers (or Stuff Lartle Farngers if you want the accent)

Suspect Device and Alternative Ulster both rate in my 'want this played at my funeral party' list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds