October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

New GW 40K Assassin Board Game

More
21 Apr 2015 16:59 #201240 by charlest
Four Assassins try to take out a Chaos Space Marine Priest and his minions.

125USD, or 100 euros.

– 4 brand new multipart plastic Imperial Assassins – a Callidus, a Cullexus, an Eversor and a Vindicare
– A Chaos Space Marines Terminator Lord and familiar (existing 43-12)
– 3 Chaos Space Marines (existing 35-31)
– 15 Chaos Cultists (existing 3x 35-34)
– A rulebook, board sections, cards, counters and dice
– A missions book

Doesn't quite meet the Kickstarter threshold of $1 per mini. Damn that's expensive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2015 17:25 - 21 Apr 2015 20:02 #201243 by mikecl
Kickstarter gets more outrageous by the day. Here's the come-on for the Master's Edition of Apocrypha, a PACG-inspired horror I mean it's just a card game, right?

For $333 plus shipping, you can get the Master's Edition. That's a special upgraded version for the ultimate adventure card game player. With a beautiful embossed deluxe box in the style of Doctor Zeez's Aesculapian Journal (see below), the Master's Edition will be numbered and signed by Mike Selinker, have upgraded custom dice, an Apocrypha dice bag, and more! And of course it will have all the cards from the base set and all the chapters we unlock. The box will have an insert that will hold the cards in place, even if you put it on its side like on a bookshelf. The cover will be faux-leather with a strap to hold it shut. It will hold all the cards whether sleeved or not. It will look something like this, give or take

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Apr 2015 20:02 by mikecl.

More
21 Apr 2015 17:36 #201246 by Michael Barnes
The box will have an insert that will hold the cards in place, even if you put it on its side like on a bookshelf.

How can they put this kind of space-age technology in the box for JUST $333?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, mikecl

More
21 Apr 2015 19:05 #201250 by hotseatgames
Got a link for that GW game?

More
21 Apr 2015 20:42 #201258 by Sevej

More
22 Apr 2015 08:45 #201271 by charlest

hotseatgames wrote: Got a link for that GW game?

www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/warham...game-games-workshop/
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
22 Apr 2015 09:43 #201277 by DukeofChutney
predictions, is this going to be dreadfleet or spacehulk successful?

More
22 Apr 2015 10:01 #201278 by Egg Shen
I'm pretty close to buying this sight unseen. I've been on a 40K kick lately and this looks like it could be really awesome. My gut is that this will lean more towards Space Hulk. Might just be wishful thinking though.

More
22 Apr 2015 10:29 #201282 by VonTush
I'll be buying sight unseen (likely). It's a co-op where 1-4 players play as the assassins against the Chaos Marine's AI.
It has the stupid dynamic posing for the assassins but the Chaos Marines appear to be the more modest (and usable) posing.

As far as popularity goes, I think this will sell like hotcakes for them. DF was a line that didn't appeal to boardgamers because of the measuring and free movement. And it didn't appeal to the 40k'ers because the models weren't usable. So this appeals those crowds once again so I'm pretty sure these will move quickly.

I was looking at the board photo from the White Dwarf images that leaked thinking..."Boy those look familiar" and then it hit me, there's a bit of WizWar in the wall design.

www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/645016.page

More
22 Apr 2015 11:31 #201292 by charlest
I don't know, Space Hulk had a ton of nostalgia and years of advertising/hype going for it which allowed people to buy it on recognition alone. This will be a tougher sell, especially at the same price with less minis.

It also has less minis that can be re-purposed for 40K (the assassins are less useful than Terminators/Nids).

I think it's more likely to have some solid word and some fans but not explode.

More
22 Apr 2015 12:04 #201295 by VonTush
Yeah, I don't think it'll reach SH levels but should well surpass DF levels and my thinking is come pretty close to SH. As I mentioned it has minis that would retail close individually close to the base game retail. Also it brings back a board and spaces which was a major deterrent from Dread Fleet. Also, let's not forget that this has a solitaire component which provides a huge bump to a game's appeal. All these stack up to what I feel will be a pretty big success.

Now this is just hip shots from me, but I also really think this would be a great topic for a campaign style game where the assassins develop skills and improve over the course of the campaign with missions that progressively increase in difficulty. Unlike Marines that are pretty static, the 40k assassins would make great heroes to advance. But...This is just wishful thinking on my part.

More
22 Apr 2015 14:23 #201310 by Michael Barnes
Ugh...expensiveness. I really want this because I like the concept and would expect the production to be as good as SH, but the reality of it is that this is just too fucking much money. If I had some review material to sell off I'd be mighty tempted though. I could sell Imperial Assault and all the expansion packs to finance it but I have friends that would murder me. And those bastards won't buy their own copy of it any time soon.

Also, I would be really shocked if this game were, design-wise, closer to SH than Dreadfleet in terms of quality.

Wish this shit wasn't limited so I could have some time to dwell. Or that GW did review copies.

More
22 Apr 2015 14:41 #201313 by VonTush
One thing that I just read that may cause issues is that the pieces aren't snap-fit like SH. That's going to turn a good handful of people off.

Rules complexity, I think it'll actually be more difficult than both SH and DF. DF really isn't that bad, just heavily random. SH is the poster child for thematic simplicity. Here though from that leaked WD board photo, there's a lot more going on.

There's also comments that indicate that there are multiple stand alone boxed games planned this year. Color me intrigued if that's the case.

More
22 Apr 2015 14:54 #201314 by Egg Shen

VonTush wrote: There's also comments that indicate that there are multiple stand alone boxed games planned this year. Color me intrigued if that's the case.

I certainly hope that is the case. GW is such a damn wildcard at this point...but it's kinda of exciting to see them dive back into boardgaming.

More
22 Apr 2015 15:01 - 22 Apr 2015 15:02 #201315 by VonTush
That dakkadakka link I posted above has some more images from the leaked German White Dwarf (anyone speak German?) and I'm starting to get a different sort of vibe. One more of games like Bomberz over the Sulfur River, Dragon Masters, Lost Patrol. More games that are thrown together and slight flawed in some regards, but also providing a different way for people to play (and buy) Citadel Miniatures. And if the rumor of this being the first of a line it sort of makes sense, not trying to go for a blockbuster type release like SH and DF.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2015 15:02 by VonTush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds