October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

PETA takes aim at Warhammer 40K

More
01 Feb 2017 05:14 - 01 Feb 2017 05:15 #243345 by OldHippy
www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/what-to-play/...er-game-stop-making/

If you buy GW games you probably can't afford to wear fur anyway. I imagine this is just about getting publicity for PETA and I'm playing into their hands with this but I'm curious what kind of conversation this could spark here. Now that you guys talk politics so much maybe this can gain some traction too. ;)

I lived on a reserve in Northern Ontario for some time and worked on a trap line with my girlfriends father. So I have some sympathy for trappers and some for the animals. I'm not sure what I think about the fur trade in general, when it gets industrialized it's clearly pretty fucked up but when it's done the way I saw and experienced it seemed ok to me. We ate the meat in many cases too although it wasn't always the best. Either way I'm not sure what to think about this kind of PR tactic. PETA is pretty popular so perhaps it works. Maybe it'll be good for GW too though. That's a potential plus.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2017 05:15 by OldHippy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2017 08:17 #243346 by hotseatgames
Now they are coming for our cosplayers! But I'm not a cosplayer, so I did nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
01 Feb 2017 08:19 #243347 by stoic
When you believe that harvesting meat and consuming animal products is murder, and, for that matter, murder that is morally equivalent to and/or even a greater atrocity than human murder, then, of course, you'd object to any glorification or use of fur products. Portraying them in works of sculpture, though real fur isn't used, is an even a greater offense. It all makes sense.

Warhammer promotes violence, murder, murder, death, murder, murder, murder, murder, murder, heroic death, murder, murder, murder, murder, animal murder, bloody mayhem, death, and more murder.

It should be stopped because Warhammer players clearly become violent mass murders. They constantly see images of murder, violence, and fur. They're willing cultists in an apocalypse of death. Murder and violence are glorified through miniature sculptures. Warhammer gaming creates nefarious schemes by which only the most violent are rewarded at the hands of chance. Warhammer players act out their sick fantasies about violence and murder. They mentally project their subconscious desires to be the very violent, furry, and murderous characters that they see on a table top. Violence only begets more violence. Warhammer players should be institutionalized or murdered. The creators and purveyors of these violent Warhammer games should be incarcerated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
01 Feb 2017 08:35 - 01 Feb 2017 08:36 #243348 by OldHippy
In all fairness to GW, many of these people could use a good murdering.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2017 08:36 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney, stoic

More
01 Feb 2017 08:47 #243351 by Michael Barnes
I am 110% behind the general messages of animal rights, animal welfare and preventing cruelty to animals. I have never hunted and I haven't fished in 30 years. I have not eaten meat in 25 years. I would never patronize a rodeo or circus or any event where the possibility for animal mistreatment exists.

But this is fucking stupid. It makes me angry when PETA showboats like this because it just makes animal welfare, vegetarianism and all look like wacko, fringe politics. It does far more harm than good and it only serves to drive people away. No one playing or interested in 40k has had their awareness of real world animal welfare issues raised, it's only made PETA look ridiculous and petty. By proxy, it makes their message and anyone close to it look like cartoonish freaks. And it is a FAR cry from industries that routinely harm animals on a daily basis, like factory farming and luxury goods industries.

I just bough some High Elf White Lions and they are draped with lion skins. I'm a monster.

More
01 Feb 2017 09:05 #243353 by Legomancer
I live in the bluest state and hang around a lot of the leftiest of the lefty and have never heard anyone mention taking PETA seriously. In fact, they are looked on with some hostility by a lot of animal rights activists.

Also, if it matters, I've never heard any lefty say anything at all about George Soros. The right wing seems fascinated by him, the left is all "who?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
01 Feb 2017 09:10 #243354 by dysjunct
I've been vegan for two decades and I have never met any vegans who respect or support PETA.

More
01 Feb 2017 09:30 #243355 by Colorcrayons
I wish someone would have copy pasted the meat of the article, because I refuse to click on any and all Peta links.

But the gist is that since fur is modeled on figs, that 40k promotes hostility to animals?

This is why Peta hasn't been relevant for decades. An organization that had the best intentions went full retard long ago. They are the most extreme liberal group I have ever seen and a lot if their messages are full blown Jack Chic style cartoons.

More
01 Feb 2017 09:43 - 01 Feb 2017 09:44 #243357 by stoic

Legomancer wrote: Also, if it matters, I've never heard any lefty say anything at all about George Soros. The right wing seems fascinated by him, the left is all "who?"

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. The world is about who gets to eat a free lunch and who gets to pay for it.

Someone has to pay for the travel expenses, lobbying, buses, printed signs, press agent releases, community organizers, advertising, donation handling, legal teams, accountants, administrative personnel, agents provocateur, crowd agitators, etc. for these non-profit groups. These movements and groups aren't spontaneous. It takes money and a lot of it.

If you talk to the rank-and-file, then, yes, they don't usually know anything about the daily operations or finances for these non-profits entities, their CEO's, officers, board of directors, or events. But, yes, many of them are, indeed, financed by Soros and a web of shell entities. Non-profit groups are about big money for their leaders and directors.

Notwithstanding under-the-table illegal, unreported cash contributions, if you want to know the actual extent, what and who finances these entities, then all you have to do is look up their official IRS Form 990 which discloses non-profit financing and contributions. This Form 990 is a public record and it is freely available from the IRS and/or private non-profit entities such as Guidestar.org. With a little research you can unravel the onion.

Moreover, notwithstanding under-the-table illegal, unreported cash contributions, you can also see political contributions made to politicians and PACS via financial disclosure forms mandated by Federal law via FEC ( www.fec.gov/disclosure.shtml ).

Each state also has a state election commission which also require disclosures of public record.

Many of these forms, however, are often intentionally left incomplete and enforcement for disclosure and contribution law is lax.

As Deepthroat said: follow the money.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2017 09:44 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
01 Feb 2017 09:59 - 01 Feb 2017 10:07 #243359 by OldHippy
During my years as a tree planter I met hundreds of vegetarians.. vegans, both mild and extreme... protesters... all the hippie left you could stomach. Many of them do take PETA seriously... I never could because I grew up a hunter and I simply don't agree with them philosophically. But I get where they come from in some areas. They are influential and everyone from Iggy Pop and Morrisey to Justin Beiber and Alyssa Millano to Bill Maher have spoke in their defense at some point.

They are relevant whether you like it or not. But they are also a joke. However they do create conversation so they serve a purpose. Sometimes these types of crazy over the top statements have a whiff of performance art about them. People will think that clearly they couldn't actually mean what they say. But I think in many cases they do. I suppose the argument is that this kind of use of fur normalizes trapping (I wonder how many have lived with actual trappers in small poor rural communities before). They may have a point in that way but I'd say it's more likely that this is a result of a normalized fur trade... not something that causes it to be that way.

But fuck man.. they also wear skulls in GW models.. actual skulls and some of those skulls are of species that don't even exist. I mean killing something there's plenty of is one thing, killing something that is endangered is another... but to kill something that doesn't even exist... God that has to be the worst.

Actually I wonder if the pelts are even of actual animals or just fictional ones from the GW universe.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2017 10:07 by OldHippy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
01 Feb 2017 10:06 #243360 by stoic

JonJacob wrote: ut to kill something that doesn't even exist... God that has to be the worst.

Actually I wonder if the pelts are even of actual animals or just fictional ones from the GW universe.

Fictional fur pelts are an even greater act of amorality than actual furs viciously stripped from the backs of actual animals because it's an evil and triggering THOUGHT CRIME.

More
01 Feb 2017 10:34 #243361 by fastbilly1
But if they dont have furs, they will just have more skulls. The last thing we need is a grimmer darker Grimdark...
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
01 Feb 2017 11:10 #243363 by Michael Barnes
Next up: The Society for the Humane Treatment of Anthropomorphic Mammals is going to speak out against the use of the term "Vermin" to describe Skaven.

I wonder how many have lived with actual trappers in small poor rural communities before).

Answer- almost definitely NONE. Vegetarianism and the refusal to use animal products is a MIDDLE CLASS LUXURY. It is not a feasible or sustainable way of life for lots of folks in rural and undeveloped regions.

I actually support responsible subsistence hunting. If someone hunts and kills animals to feed, clothe and provide for their family then that is a very, very different thing than corporate/government controlled factory farming and manufacture. It is not the same as buying a Big Mac and not ever considering the environmental and animal cost of it. PETA does not draw that distinction. It's people hunt for sport or in excess of what they need that I'm ready to go on a hunt sab.

More
01 Feb 2017 11:10 #243364 by SuperflyPete
Cool. Now I can make a Space Wolf talisman to wear while I murder rabbits for the crime of simply being too annoying

More
01 Feb 2017 11:20 #243365 by hotseatgames
This scandal shall be known as the Horus Hairesy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Msample, OldHippy, SuperflyPete, birdman37, sornars, stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds