October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Star Wars Destiny - now totally collectable

More
28 Feb 2017 10:56 #244643 by Msample
Well, talk about an about face from the LCG model:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/...been-an-awakening-1/

Glad I didn't jump in. If you're thinking of dumping it, might be a good time before people start deciding not to keep up.

While I suspect part of this is production based, as the dice have been problematic , at the end of the day this is a very deliberate decision on the part of FFG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2017 11:05 #244645 by Matt Thrower
Was vaguely tempted by this, but I'm just walking away right now. What a shame: sounds like a cracking system.

Feels a bit like free to play levels of greed is in danger of leaking into collectible card games.

More
28 Feb 2017 11:11 #244647 by Msample
I was teetering, but this totally pushed me away. As it will others I suspect.

More
28 Feb 2017 11:29 #244648 by Gary Sax
I'm confused what has changed here. Wasn't the previous model big sets of random boosters that cost 400 to get every one of? What changed? Is it that now they're going to retire these waves every year?

Also, yeah, no deal for me.

More
28 Feb 2017 11:36 #244649 by Msample
Each release is going to basically be printed once , at least as far as boosters are concerned. They'll release them in "waves" but if the initial run is any indications, they won't last long.

Basically, if you don't pre order, you could be shit out of luck. I am guessing this will be allocated product, so stores will possibly be short shipped what they order.

There was no "previous model" because the game is so new, and this is FFG's first foray into the collectible realm. Sounds like the dark days of MtG when product shortages were rampant. This just gives an up front notice to that effect IMO. I think its a mistake to do this so early in the life cycle of the game, as I think it will scare people off, understandably so. And the starter sets offer far less replay value than the Dice Masters starter sets .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Feb 2017 12:56 #244651 by charlest
While some of this may be profit driven, I'd be the main factor is that they have one factory pumping this out (this has been stated) due to the unique nature of the dice. They're stuck in a situation where they spend limited factory manpower to re-release old sets or produce new ones.

If you were looking to get into this as a new player, you'd have to get in not caring about collecting specific waves. Just pick up packs here and there and get what you can.

More
28 Feb 2017 13:03 #244652 by Msample
While I get that producing the dice is problematic, its not like it is high tech either. If production is truly fixed and is operating at max capacity, then this game is doomed from the get go in terms of growing the player base if they already have to move on from the first set and start producing the second set.

More
28 Feb 2017 13:18 #244653 by charlest

Msample wrote: While I get that producing the dice is problematic, its not like it is high tech either. If production is truly fixed and is operating at max capacity, then this game is doomed from the get go in terms of growing the player base if they already have to move on from the first set and start producing the second set.

True, but the odd screen printing they do could be proprietary and only available at this specific factory. Trying to implement it elsewhere and maintaining quality control could be an issue.

This company is exploding and now part of Asmodee, I imagine if they could pump out more sets they wouldn't have left the money on the table from the gap in the print run. Quite a few people are paying outrageous ebay prices for this stuff.

More
28 Feb 2017 15:41 #244655 by mads b.
Nothing has changed other than a reprint of the first booster series. It was never ment to be a LCG style game.

Yes, maybe it will make rare dice even more rare, but at the same time they also say that they'll increase production. And some of the good cards/dice will most likely be recycled into the core sets.

Also, this is a really cool game. Getting enough dice to really do deckbuilding is not cheap, but it's very solid. It's fast, it's fun, and it has lots of choices you have to make.

More
28 Feb 2017 16:07 #244657 by Msample

mads b. wrote: Nothing has changed other than a reprint of the first booster series. It was never ment to be a LCG style game.

I don't think anyone was ever under the impression that was going to be an LCG or perpetually be in stock. But this early in the product cycle of the product, its not a good sign. I think FFG has both been caught by surprise on the demand for the product as well as been hamstrung by the production issues.

More
28 Feb 2017 16:17 #244658 by mads b.
Ah, I misread your original post to mean that they had turned from the LCG that was planned for this game, and not - as I see now - that this game is quite a turn from that model.

I honestly think they'll make A LOT of copies of the new print runs. Demand has been extremely high for this game, and as long as they reprint some of the good stuff in the core sets, I don't see a huge problem. But that being said I'm a very casual player and can do fine with a core collection and then buying the occasional booster every now and then.

More
28 Feb 2017 17:50 - 28 Feb 2017 17:51 #244662 by Sevej
They actually pointed out in a video that the tech to produce these dice is rather new. That tech enables the game to be produced at all.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 17:51 by Sevej.

More
28 Feb 2017 22:02 #244664 by Colorcrayons
I am glad that nothing FFG makes in a collectible format holds any sway over me.

But if they ever make more Wiz-War and make the cards collectible... I'm so fucked.

More
01 Mar 2017 04:14 #244669 by Matt Thrower

mads b. wrote: Demand has been extremely high for this game, and as long as they reprint some of the good stuff in the core sets, I don't see a huge problem.

No, indeed. But they haven't made that promise, even though doing so would allay a lot of the fear that this has generated and in fact the release is worded in a way that suggests the opposite. Which makes it questionable as to whether there will be any reprinted material.

More
01 Mar 2017 09:19 #244674 by Shellhead
Is anybody outside of FFG/Asmodee happy about this gaming being collectible?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds