October 09, 2023
2530 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

BSG Pegasus expansion!

More
10 Jun 2009 20:13 #31853 by dragonstout
new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=596

Looks like you can choose to play as a Cylon now, too. Cooool. Hope this doesn't bloat the near flawless base game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2009 21:11 #31855 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!

Will an open Cylon Leader be able to vent the last remaining humans into space, giving the toasters control over the galaxy?

Th real question: Will we finally be able to toss the damn Cylons out of the airlock?

More
10 Jun 2009 21:18 #31857 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!
Very cool. But no release date.

More
10 Jun 2009 21:29 #31859 by Michael Barnes
There it is then, both of my wants for two expansions bundled together- Pegasus and New Caprica.

Admiral Kane better be a playable character. And Hot Dog.

More
10 Jun 2009 21:36 #31860 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!
woohoo!

More
10 Jun 2009 22:15 #31861 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!
Michael Barnes wrote:

There it is then, both of my wants for two expansions bundled together- Pegasus and New Caprica.

Admiral Kane better be a playable character. And Hot Dog.

Agreed. If this is clever, it won't try to force the IMHO very tight, fully realized gameplay in the original into anything else. I think that game is almost perfected--adding *different* gameplay elements is the only thing that would really help the game IMHO. Take for example, the Pegasus--having rivalry between the ships and having different goals for both crews would create a completely different tension on top of annihilation by the Cylons.

Glad to see they aren't just doing a "add more cards!" expansion. I just don't see that being a super fruitful avenue of expansion because I like the original so much.

More
11 Jun 2009 01:09 #31871 by dragonstout
I don't understand all the clamoring for a release date. It's coming out in the fall, and even as little as a month ahead of time FFG usually never gives a more accurate release date than that.

It did make me a little sad, though, since it means the Cosmic Encounter expansion is coming out even LATER than fall. :'-(

More
11 Jun 2009 09:21 #31889 by san il defanso
HEAD A SPLODE

More
11 Jun 2009 09:52 #31891 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!
So, the last picture, are those plastic Base Stars to replace the cardboard ones in the base game? If so, I may have to buy it for those alone because I'm a glutton for plastic. They don't mention anything about them in the release, but they do look like the other plastic ships in the game in terms of detail and style.

LvT

More
11 Jun 2009 10:54 #31899 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!
Wow! The expansion has the potential to be really cool. It's a painful reminder that BS:G could at times be excellent (New Caprica), and at other times suck ass. *cough*seasonfinale*cough*

-Will

More
11 Jun 2009 12:11 #31907 by Michael Barnes
I just don't ever want to see the interior of a Basestar in a BSG game. All those pink lights, the Design Within Reach furniture...

It'd be pretty cool if they had a "Fat Lee" character you could play though.

I'm very, very glad they didn't do the "more cards" expansion that they could have and they've actually added significant game material. I do hope that it doesn't interfere too much with the core game, which is practically perfect as far as I'm concerned.

More
11 Jun 2009 13:30 #31912 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!
I hope the New Caprica board has some violent insurgency style actions available to the humans. Perhaps some sort of suicide attack. And maybe a law and order level/track the cylons have to keep on top of.

-Will

More
11 Jun 2009 13:32 #31914 by Michael Barnes
New Caprica could have been a game unto its own, using the same mechanics but putting the Cylon player(s) in charge of watching some dials for a change.

More
11 Jun 2009 14:31 #31927 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!
Michael Barnes wrote:

Admiral Kane better be a playable character.

Well of course she will. Her ship is a main feature of the expansion, she's on the box cover, and she even trades friendly banter with Adama in the preview. That's a done deal to me.

More
12 Jun 2009 23:50 #32091 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Re:BSG Pegasus expansion!
I really like the sound of this... I'm one of those BSG fans who feels that, as great as the game often is, sometimes it can get kind of dull and tedious if there aren't enough Cylon attacks, or if they mostly come at ineffectual times (when the fleet is about to jump, anyway). Yes, the game is about more than that, but without the added pressure of the Cylon ships attacking, it loses a fair amount of excitement and tension. But now with Cavil's ability to place basestars as an action, and his one-time ability to take two actions (placing two basestars, possibly), that should help keep things crazy in space. And hopefully the humans will have some new abilities to help deal with that.

Seven new characters... So who do think they'll be? Assuming they're going only as far as season 3 (early), I'm guessing the following:

Cavil
Admiral Cain
Anders
Gaeta
Six (or Caprica Six)
Ellen Tigh
Kat

Some of those seem like locks (Cavil and Cain, duh), but a few are definitely "iffy", especially when there are others like Leoben, D'Anna, Tory, Doc Cottle and Romo Lampkin (if they go that far) who could make good characters. I think it's also possible that they could make another role for Sharon Valeri, that's not "Boomer", or rather, one that definitely is "Boomer", a known Cylon from the start of the game (if that's even how the Cylon Leader characters work, which I think will be the case). I suppose there might be one more Pegasus character involved, considering the focus on that, though after Cain I don't really think of any of the other Pegasus characters as being that notable, so I kind of hope that's not the case.

Apparently, this has been named as being the "first expansion" to BSG, so presumably there will be at least one more. **SPOILER** If they're generally following the series as it played out, I could see a future expansion having entirely new roles for characters like Anders, Tigh, Chief, Starbuck, etc.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds