October 09, 2023
2530 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Do you guys believe in gateway games?

More
12 Jun 2009 11:35 #31971 by kookoobah
Is there a specific game that you own that is your go-to game when you need to get somebody started into gaming? Sometimes I make the mistake of going with something that I think they might like, instead of going with the classic Catan option.

It's just so tempting to get somebody started with Descent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2009 11:42 - 12 Jun 2009 11:48 #31973 by Hatchling
I don't believe in gateway games, especially after reading this great piece by Sagrilarus .

There aren't gateway games, only hospitable and patient people who are willing to teach [edit: or learn] games and help others get into games.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2009 11:48 by Hatchling.

More
12 Jun 2009 11:47 #31974 by Bulwyf
There's no such thing as a gateway game. Just find a game who's subject matter will appeal to you intended target and go from there.

-Will

More
12 Jun 2009 12:02 #31977 by Aarontu
In the "dumb enough that even non-gamers can understand it" sense, no.

A "gateway" game isn't a type of game, it's the game that gets someone into gaming. For some people, that game may be Descent; really depends on the person and what their interests are.

More
12 Jun 2009 12:04 #31978 by Bullwinkle
There is no such thing as a gateway game. In other news, Santa Claus does not exist.

More
12 Jun 2009 12:15 #31980 by JoelCFC25
Nope, no such thing. Beware of anyone claiming that they're trying to open up people's eyes to the joys of nerd games, as if they're performing a public service or engaging in some altruistic crusade.

This is a construct motivated entirely by the selfish desire to get more people willing to play your games with you, not to enlighten them for their own future pleasure. Of course most gamers can identify with the struggle to find good groups or regular opponents, so I don't mean to say that searching for more gamers is some nefarious activity. It's just that the agenda inherent in the concept of the gateway game is usually glossed over, and people just pretend they're doing it for someone else's benefit.

More
12 Jun 2009 12:27 #31985 by ubarose
Yes. Candyland. It teaches the three most important abstract concepts of AmeriTrash games.

This is your dude.

This is the map.

This is your dude on the map.

After someone gets those concepts down, you can move onto Descent.

More
12 Jun 2009 12:37 #31990 by ChristopherMD
"Gateway game" is a term for board game snobs to use when referring to the idiot masses who aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate Puerto Rico.

More
12 Jun 2009 12:45 #31991 by san il defanso

A "gateway" game isn't a type of game, it's the game that gets someone into gaming. For some people, that game may be Descent; really depends on the person and what their interests are.

I totally agree with this. I think gateway games exist because I had one myself (Settlers of Catan). It really DID open my eyes to a whole other world of board gaming. But here is the key: I ALREADY ENJOYED BOARD GAMES.

Gamers are born, not made. You can find games that you can play with anybody, but the game probably won't get them into the hobby. Likewise, if someone enjoys strategy games anyway, you can use just about anything, as long as it fits with that person.

More
12 Jun 2009 12:50 #31993 by Ken B.
ubarose wrote:

Yes. Candyland. It teaches the three most important abstract concepts of AmeriTrash games.

This is your dude.

This is the map.

This is your dude on the map.

After someone gets those concepts down, you can move onto Descent.

Okay...I'm breaking our rule and thumbing this post. Well done.

More
12 Jun 2009 12:56 #31995 by panzerattack
Yeah, I believe in gateway games.

I mean, if you've got someone who doesn't normally play board games but sees Descent and really wants to give that game a go, by all means jump straight in. Chances are their enthusiasm will help them enjoy it.

In my experience, most non-board gamers are pretty dubious as to how fun board games actually are. It isn't because they're stupid, it's because they're un-believers ;) If you can convince people like that to give board games a go, you want something that doesn't have rules out the wazoo but still showcases the best features that board games have to offer. In that respect I totally believe in gateway games.

More
12 Jun 2009 12:59 #31999 by southernman
No.

Every game is a gateway game if someone new to some type of gaming likes it.

More
12 Jun 2009 13:02 #32001 by metalface13
I don't believe that you ever have to play Game A before moving on to Game B. If the guy wants to play Descent, play Descent with him. There's no need to say "Well, hrumph, we should play Carcassone or Settlers because they will help you learn the skills you need to play these games of ours."

However, I do believe in "gateway" games that are fun, easy to learn, easy to teach and play in less than an hour that you can sit down and play with just about anyone. But these aren't for making "gamers." SanIlDefanso said it best, gamers are born, not made.

More
12 Jun 2009 13:03 #32002 by NeonPeon
The only gateway game I've ever played was Gateway to Apshai.

More
12 Jun 2009 13:14 - 12 Jun 2009 13:15 #32008 by Ken B.
I don't believe there are gateway games. Not in the traditional sense that people talk about them.

There are games with low barriers to entry, sure. I'll buy that.

But I can attest from personal experience that such games do not "lead" anywhere--it's a gateway, alright, but the portal is closed. It never goes beyond that easy, low barrier of entry level for a lot of people who try games out.

You know what? That's perfectly fine. People should play what they like. But the idea of a "gateway game" hooking someone in, leading them deeper, where they start with Ticket to Ride and then end up one day running a Road to Legend campaign...well, that is an absolute myth.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2009 13:15 by Ken B..

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds