October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

TI-3 pics?

More
11 Aug 2012 00:32 #132370 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: TI-3 pics?
Suck it, Simon. :)

I've never played Eclipse. Maybe that will be someday, but honestly, between Ascending Empires and TI2, I have pretty much all the bases of spaceyspacemen doing spaceyspacemen shit covered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2012 00:38 #132371 by SuperflyPete

dragonstout wrote: Hooray! You chose my review request! It was the very obvious pick, IMHO, if for no other reason than because there are almost no reviews of TI2.

No, I chose it because I actually like and respect you quite a bit. For a "100th review" it's a good, controversial pick.

TI3 is way too fucking long. WAY. Dune does politics and treachery better, and TI2 and many others do 4X better. The whole thesis of the game is based on 10 plays of TI2 and 2 plays of TI3, once with Shattered Empire. It's been a while so I had to go back and refresh on the rulebook online (TI3) but in the end, my memory is quite keen so it was OK.

Hopefully I got across that TI2 is a far better 4X than TI3, but that's not to say that TI3 isn't a good game, albeit abysmally long. Like you said, it's apples and oranges; TI3 is NOT a 4x game, it's a euroish civ game.

More
11 Aug 2012 00:54 #132372 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: TI-3 pics?
I have literally never heard *anyone* talk about TI2 except for you, which is why I wanted to hear you talk about it.

As a TI2 review, the one thing I'd say is that I felt like I didn't learn *that* much about TI2; the review was still almost more about TI3! But perhaps that is because TI2 is elemental enough that there's no need to talk about its clever mechanics: they're good not because they're clever, but because they're intuitive and don't get in the way of you doing what you want to do.

I think you finally convinced me to give up on TI3 and sell it off for good, though.

You've been on a fucking crazy roll lately with your reviews with just going straight to the point. Maybe all the awful misfortune in your life made you realize how little time you want to spend on mediocre or even "good enough" games? In the forums, too, you've just been cutting to the heart of things and past the bullshit like a machete in the jungle.

More
11 Aug 2012 01:06 #132373 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re: TI-3 pics?

SuperflyTNT wrote: You have no idea how perfect that picture is for one of my paragraphs, Pete. That's awesome!

Credit Will Kenyon for the picture. It's a perfect picture for the Superfly Circle post! One of these days I'll play Ti2. Maybe if you make it WBC but in the meantime Frak you I still love Ti3.

More
11 Aug 2012 01:12 #132374 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic Re: TI-3 pics?

jgriff wrote: To quote our favorite WBC passerby -

"Eclipse is 80% of the fun of TI3 for only 40% of the work"....

How do you figure that? That's 120%....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
11 Aug 2012 02:58 #132377 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: TI-3 pics?
BTW, in the article you mentioned in the picture I gave was a 4Player setup, but this was a 6 Player setup.

More
11 Aug 2012 06:12 #132382 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re: TI-3 pics?
Christsakes, just looking at the picture on the first page reminds me of why my next game of TI, any version, will be played on an iPad. I just don't need all that stuff in my games any longer ...

More
11 Aug 2012 13:28 #132388 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: TI-3 pics?

Chapel wrote: BTW, in the article you mentioned in the picture I gave was a 4Player setup, but this was a 6 Player setup.

This would only matter if Superfly Circus was at all credible! Heyoh!

More
11 Aug 2012 14:09 #132391 by SuperflyPete

Chapel wrote: BTW, in the article you mentioned in the picture I gave was a 4Player setup, but this was a 6 Player setup.

Thanks, Chapel. I'll amend that photo.

QPCloudy wrote: This would only matter if Superfly Circus was at all credible! Heyoh!

Just call be Bob Parr, bitch!

More
11 Aug 2012 14:19 #132393 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re: TI-3 pics?

daveroswell wrote:

jgriff wrote: To quote our favorite WBC passerby -

"Eclipse is 80% of the fun of TI3 for only 40% of the work"....

How do you figure that? That's 120%....

You're adding two different ideas there, fun+work. Basically it means Eclipse is slightly less fun than TI3, but a lot less work, so still worth playing.

More
11 Aug 2012 17:03 #132397 by jgriff
Replied by jgriff on topic Re: TI-3 pics?
Not my idea but rather the passerby's. I work off the idea that I will always play a game that is more fun, regardless of playtime or "work". I think there are some neat ideas in Eclipse but it feels like either a really unfinished product to me. It's got a glaring flaws (end of the world syndrome and scripted play) and a few interesting ideas (expense of maintaining a larger empire) but I don't consider it a substitute for Twilight Imperium but rather a resource-oriented civ game like the new FFG Civ. TI3 (and perhaps TI2) fill an epic, sprawling game with multiple ways to play at the same time on the same board(aggressive, tech-heavy, etc) that fits more into my "Here I Stand" genre than Eclipse does.

Personally, I found Eclipse to take almost as much time per player (45min for both games per player). Perhaps with experience, I would get that down to less with Eclipse and my TI3 time is probably as tight as it will get. However, the "work" aspect is BS as I think both are comparable in "effort". If TI3 gets complicated, then it's usually the interaction of some strange law and/or action card which is a byproduct of having so many possibilities.

I've never played TI2 but I hope to remedy that soon so I can throw another comparison in here.

More
11 Aug 2012 19:49 #132399 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re: TI-3 pics?
Meh. I love TI2, TI3, and Eclipse. They are all three very cools games. I don't need a reason to like one and not the other.

Actually, what I do need is more game LIKE all of them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
11 Aug 2012 21:49 #132403 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re: TI-3 pics?
Columbob wrote:
" You're adding two different ideas there, fun+work."
How so? Pete's saying TI3 is Eurofied. And with Euros you have to work hard to have fun.

More
11 Aug 2012 21:58 #132404 by SuperflyPete

Chapel wrote: Meh. I love TI2, TI3, and Eclipse. They are all three very cool games. I don't need a reason to like one and not the other.

Actually, what I do need is more game LIKE all of them.

That's the winner. I like TI2 when I want a 2-3 hour 4X. I like TI3 when I want 6 hours of civ-building. Can't say anything about Eclipse, never played.

More
13 Aug 2012 13:12 #132450 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: TI-3 pics?
Going back to that pic, can someone tell me who is who. I recognize Loter and B-Styles, but who are the other two?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds