October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Eurogames evangelism?

More
22 Feb 2013 19:51 #144956 by SuperflyPete

TheDukester wrote: You guys are wasting your time getting worked up about this. Your time is more valuable than this.

I don't think anyone is worked up. Certainly not as worked up as a certain someone who took gentle ribbing to be lecture on "something he's spend a quarter century doing". :)

(NOTE EMOTICON THIS TIME, DUKE.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2013 19:53 #144957 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?
Guys, it's the Internet. Everyone's an expert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron

More
22 Feb 2013 20:01 #144959 by DukeofChutney

wice wrote: Anyone who thinks that Quinns is a "Euro-guy" obviously didn't see a single episode of SU&SD.

This is why i was surprised when i read it, because i've heard him bash multiplayer solitare before and hes promoted many AT games.

IMO either he on a come down after too much FFG (all the games he sidelines are FFG i think), or hes recently become a Feld fan and has decided that all his old ways were a waste of time, or its Kotaku and so he has to up the ante.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Feb 2013 20:02 #144960 by TheDukester

SuperflyTNT wrote: I don't think anyone is worked up.

You're reading different posts than I am, then.

Not that I'm above such emotions myself. One reason I'm avoiding the article altogether is that it would probably make my blood pressure rise at least a little. I loathe Gawker and it's lowest-common-denominator formula.

More
22 Feb 2013 20:03 #144961 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?

Anyone who thinks that Quinns is a "Euro-guy" obviously didn't see a single episode of SU&SD.

I'd second that. It looks like his tastes are pretty much all over the map. I'd chalk the whole article up to a failed humor attempt, as opposed to Eurosnobbery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
22 Feb 2013 20:03 #144964 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?
This is why the internet is stupid and will never catch on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, wadenels

More
22 Feb 2013 20:16 - 22 Feb 2013 20:17 #144968 by Sagrilarus

jeb wrote: 1) the Fort is third on Google for "ameritrash" and 2) the named link to it is "Fortress: Front Page." I know we're not exactly obsessed with SEO here, but this could be tuned a little.

I believe we were intentionally de-tuned because we were drawing a particular crowd that wasn't at all interested in games.

I need Lent to end because Pete's posts are looking awfully well-reasoned these days.

S.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 20:17 by Sagrilarus.

More
22 Feb 2013 20:23 #144969 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?

jeb wrote: Guys, it's the Internet. Everyone's an expert.

Correction:

Guy's it's the Internet. I'm an expert. The rest of you are mouth breathing, knuckle dragging, asshats.

Also, any fool who lauds Blargin fon Bluggleblat as anything other than the epitome of all that is wrong in the world needs to be severely reprimanded.

More
22 Feb 2013 20:24 - 22 Feb 2013 20:27 #144970 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?

jeb wrote: The most upsetting things about this article for me was finding out that 1) the Fort is third on Google for "ameritrash" and 2) the named link to it is "Fortress: Front Page." I know we're not exactly obsessed with SEO here, but this could be tuned a little.

I've added references to Fortress: Ameritrash to both the first and second search results on Google.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 20:27 by Schweig!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb

More
22 Feb 2013 20:30 #144974 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Eurogames evangelism?
I like the article. It's easy to read.

I think it's pretty weird though that in his attempt to prove that X genre is de-facto better than Y genre he writes in a style that AT commentators have been using for years. Not the typical shit pseudo intellectual style that Euro commentators normally use. Part of why even though I find the article easy to read I still completely disagree with it. The guy doesn't even totally seem to believe what he's saying and then he give Chaos in the Old World as an example of an Ameritrash game? Doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I completely believe that game quality is NOT subjective. Some games are just plain old better than others, suck it up buttercup. However to say one whole genre is better than another is ridiculous. What better, Country, Blues, Metal, Jazz, or Hip-Hop.. ya see? It's just a stupid question with no real answer. Inside those genre's you can start finding some objectivity and make sense of things. Backstreet Boys are objectively bad, but the notion of five or whatever number of guys singing together,,, even sappy love songs... isn't necessarily bad.

So while I enjoy his AT style metaphors and his confidence in his opinion... he's just wrong and should look at things on a game by game basis. It's also a very old news kind of article with nothing to say to me that I haven't heard before. I just found his writing easy to get through... that alone is rare in this field so I'll cut him some slack by over mentioning it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.265 seconds