October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2734 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

SOC in Wired

More
23 Mar 2009 19:32 #24245 by vandemonium
SOC in Wired was created by vandemonium
A nice article on Settlers of Catan in Wired , of all places... It does have a quote from Derk from TOS - courage friends :p

I got it from Aldie on FB in case anyone wonders...
el Van

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2009 19:35 #24246 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:SOC in Wired
Awesome. I want Eurogames to become popular. I want them to become so popular that the next generation hates them like we hate Monopoly, and everyone joins the happy Ameritrash camp.

More
23 Mar 2009 22:04 - 23 Mar 2009 22:05 #24268 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:SOC in Wired
He's quite the awesome journalist...

'...what some have called the perfect board game.'

Who are these mysterious 'some'? They aren't referenced anywhere. Brilliant work.

I even like Settlers but I'd hardly call it perfect. Is there any perfect game?

Settlers has a few hundred million copies to sell before it hits Monopoly levels.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2009 22:05 by Mr MOTO.

More
23 Mar 2009 23:56 #24281 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:SOC in Wired
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't hate Monopoly even when it doesn't mean pissing someone off on TOS?

More
24 Mar 2009 00:26 - 24 Mar 2009 00:33 #24286 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:SOC in Wired
Derk is full of shit.

"Monopoly, a negative experience" my ass.

Monopoly replaced by Settlers would only make a better world for whiners who cried to their mommies when their bigger brothers bankrupted them in the game. It's a real trauma for them as grown-ups find out they were not playing be the official rules - the horror. Their tormented souls only find comfort when later someone tells them their losses were only due to bad luck, not a lack of intelligence.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2009 00:33 by Schweig!.

More
24 Mar 2009 01:29 #24289 by Ryan B.
Replied by Ryan B. on topic Re:SOC in Wired
Monopoly is a fairly good game... when played by the real rules. Derk fails to mention that in his supposed objective, "unbiased" crusade against the game. (LOL)

But the article actually does speak to what I have been saying all along.... IF you give Settlers of Catan a better title, better artwork, better theme and much better box art... THEN you may have something with a bit more mainstream appeal.

Until then... I have had friends flat out turn down playing it because it just looked boring.

This being said, admittedly this is the most popular of the Eurogames...with a primarily "gamer" audience. Although I don't see what all of the stink is about.

Ryan B.

More
24 Mar 2009 01:57 #24290 by beuks33
Replied by beuks33 on topic Re:SOC in Wired
Meh, Wired was relevant when it stole Mondo 3000's fanbase with shiny new pictures and didn't wallow in drug culture. Now they are the new Rolling Stone (editorialism at its pole smoking finest). Why choose now to write about SOC?

More
24 Mar 2009 12:13 #24341 by vandemonium
Replied by vandemonium on topic Re:SOC in Wired
mjl1783 wrote:

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't hate Monopoly even when it doesn't mean pissing someone off on TOS?

Nope, I like Monopoly just fine.

More
24 Mar 2009 12:32 #24343 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re:SOC in Wired
"If I could wave a magic wand and replace all the copies of Monopoly out there with Settlers, I truly think the world would be a better place."

Well, if I could wave a magic wand and render Derk Solko mute, I truly think the world would be a better place.

What a fucking clown that guy is. Our very own Steve Ballmer.

More
24 Mar 2009 12:42 #24345 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:SOC in Wired
all the mechanisms they mentioned don't really slow down the leader. Chances are the leader is the leader because he built on prime land.

More
24 Mar 2009 12:42 #24346 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:SOC in Wired

"If I could wave a magic wand and replace all the copies of Monopoly out there with Settlers, I truly think the world would be a better place."

What a Queen.

I hope, for his sake (and his friends and families sakes), that "Settlers" is a type-o for "Arkham Horror".

More
24 Mar 2009 12:54 #24350 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re:SOC in Wired
vandemonium wrote:

Nope, I like Monopoly just fine.

Same here. When played by the rules — hint for all cube-pushers: there's an auction on practically every turn — it's a fine way to have some goofy gaming fun.

Monopoly also holds a special place in my heart for driving the worst of The BGG crowd absolutely insane with jealousy. No matter how hard they try to justify it or wave it away, the fact remains that Monopoly still outsells their latest penguin-influencing fad by a factor of about 10,000. It makes me smile just to picture their nerd rage.

More
24 Mar 2009 13:34 #24357 by Deleted User 1
Replied by Deleted User 1 on topic Re:SOC in Wired

Derk is full of shit.

"Monopoly, a negative experience" my ass.

Monopoly replaced by Settlers would only make a better world for whiners who cried to their mommies when their bigger brothers bankrupted them in the game. It's a real trauma for them as grown-ups find out they were not playing be the official rules - the horror. Their tormented souls only find comfort when later someone tells them their losses were only due to bad luck, not a lack of intelligence

Agreed. They should have talked to Barnes or at least Branham. Derk is not up to speed on boardgames anymore.

More
24 Mar 2009 13:53 #24360 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:SOC in Wired
As I've said before, I don't understand the hatred towards Monopoly. It's not the greatest game ever but it's not the worst game either. Nor is it entirely a zero sum game as there is cash infusion from Passing Go and the cards. Now, if you want to talk zero sum games, there's Container (I was amazed at how tight the money was...or maybe it was just my group).

As for player elimination. Again, I don't see the hatred for player elimination. There's player elimination in all of their favorite Euros, they just don't realize it. You can certainly be out of the running for any hope of victory in Caylus, Puerto Rico or Agricola yet you still have to hang around because noone can ever drive in that final nail. Now admittedly, the winner will win by a small margin but he's usually a clear winner and likely was there from the beginning. I think there is nothing worse than being stuck in a game with no hope of winning and no mechanism for someone to put the final blow on you.

As for randomness (it's not really touched on but that's another TOS Peeve), there's lots to be said for it. Makes things interesting.

More
24 Mar 2009 13:54 #24361 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:SOC in Wired
I'm a Level 4 board game geek now. That means I can finally try Power Grid. :-)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds