October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

If You Ran Fantasy Flight...

More
14 Jan 2009 12:34 #16913 by Shellhead
I'm sure that the general consensus here is that Christian Petersen is doing a great job running Fantasy Flight Games. Half of my top ten favorite games were published by FFG in recent years. But hypothetically speaking, if you had the chance to run Fantasy Flight for a while...

1. Which license would you seek for Fantasy Flight's next game design?

2. Which existing FFG game would you select to get another expansion?

3. Which existing FFG game would you re-work for an improved new edition?

4. Which game not yet available in the U.S. would you try to get distribution rights for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2009 12:43 #16914 by Shellhead
My own answers:

1. Roger Zelazny's Amber series. I know that this isn't a hot license anymore... Zelazny passed away in '95, and the newer Amber books by Betancourt are nothing special. But this is a fantastic setting with a machiavellian flair that simply demands a boardgame.

2. Battlestar Galactica. The six-player limit is frustrating, we sometimes have as many eight people wanting to play at once. Sure, TOSsers have figured out a way to finagle more players with the loyalty cards already in the game, but I suspect that the target numbers on the cards need to be adjusted for a larger game.

3. Marvel Heroes. Great concept, but too fiddly, could really benefit from some streamlining of the rules.

4. Don't know, need to think about this one.

More
14 Jan 2009 13:04 #16915 by southernman
Ignoring your questions for the moment (I'm still thinking), what I would do is stop grasping at straws for reviews of your games if they don't get a stellar review straight away - look at their Reviews list for their Android game .... that is just fucking embarrassing :S !!!!

Give me a break - Tom 'Free game - yeah, I'll sign whatever you write' Vasel and some nobody who happenned to write some positive words about it at TOS ... is that the BEST they could do ?!!!!! FUCK - I really don't want to play it now.

More
14 Jan 2009 13:15 #16916 by hancock.tom
1. Doctor Who, no question. Only Fantasy Flight can do this right, as a massive cooperative adventure game reminiscent of a less complex, shorter arkham horror.

2. I would say BSG too, an expansion offering more players, alternate cards, some other variants, etc would be great. In the interest of being different, I'll go with Battlelore. FFG needs to come out with a hot and sexy battlelore expansion as soon as they can so they don't lose whatever following DOW still has for the game.

3. Marvel Heroes. Lots of great ideas here but I think 6 months of development (plus all the feedback since the game came out) could really make this great. I wish it was a little more streamlined.

4. That is a tough one. Most of the good ameritrash games are already marketed in the USA. I'd like to see By the Width of a Tire (Um Reifenbreite) come to the USA, but thats probably one for Z-Man, not FFG. For FFG, I would have to say Risk Express? That is one I'd like to see that isn't out yet in the USA. Its hard to come up with good FFG-style games that are only found overseas.

More
14 Jan 2009 13:17 #16917 by hancock.tom
I haven't played Android yet, but if Barnes is right about the game, that would be a good candidate for a fixer upper expansion.

More
14 Jan 2009 13:17 #16918 by Shellhead
I just read Vasal's review of Android, and I thought that it was a well-written review. He didn't bog down in reciting the rules, but instead focused on what elements might make the game good or bad for a given player, depending on what they seek in games.

More
14 Jan 2009 13:23 #16921 by hancock.tom
Vasel's style is a lot better suited to the 10 minute video reviews of games where he just talks about the game and doesn't give his opinion at all.

Just thought: I'd love to see FFG get the nexus ops license, re-release it, mass market it in walmarts and targets, then start doing expansions.

More
14 Jan 2009 13:27 #16922 by Deleted User 1

Doctor Who. There has never been a good Doctor Who game

None. Prefer new games over expansions

Arena Maximus

4. Which game not yet available in the U.S. would you try to get distribution rights for?
None. if it is not available in the U.S., it is no good.

More
14 Jan 2009 13:52 #16928 by Lagduf
Shellhead wrote:

I'm sure that the general consensus here is that Christian Petersen is doing a great job running Fantasy Flight Games. Half of my top ten favorite games were published by FFG in recent years. But hypothetically speaking, if you had the chance to run Fantasy Flight for a while...

1.) Star Wars. Just kidding. Actually I want someone like GMT to be able to use the Star Wars license at least once so a badass designer can produce a Star Wars CDG about the Empire vs Rebellion.

So I don't really know what license FFG needs next as I find the IPs they've created to be more than suitable. If Berg's Godzilla game sucks then maybe FFG needs Godzilla

2.) Descent :lol:

3.) What do you mean by rework?

4.) Anything Nexus puts out...oh wait.

More
14 Jan 2009 14:09 #16930 by Mr. Bistro

I'd be too busy eating ice cream all day building dolls and tea sets out of game boxes! Yay!

Anything as long as I could get more big boxes!

Anything I could get Kevin Wilson to work on. He's dreamy!

Łowcy przygód. Serious y'all, I heard there are cows in it and I love cows! OMG for reals!

More
14 Jan 2009 14:12 - 14 Jan 2009 14:14 #16931 by ChristopherMD

Watchmen

DOOM

BattleLore: Second Edition

PS: I'd be excited if FFG announced a pirate-themed game.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2009 14:14 by ChristopherMD.

More
14 Jan 2009 14:22 #16938 by Shellhead
Mad Dog wrote:

PS: I'd be excited if FFG announced a pirate-themed game.

Your wish is granted:

Mutiny!

www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7967

It has very pretty pieces and cover art by the artist that created the Captain Morgan character, but the game is a light, elegant Euro with blind bidding.

More
14 Jan 2009 14:29 #16940 by hancock.tom
[sarcasm] A light elegant euro with blind bidding?

WHERE DO I SIGN UP?

[/sarcasm]

More
14 Jan 2009 14:31 #16942 by Space Ghost
hancock.tom wrote:

I haven't played Android yet, but if Barnes is right about the game, that would be a good candidate for a fixer upper expansion.

I don't think Android is a bad game...it is just maybe a disappointment for people who expected more. There are a lot of unique game play mechanics in it and the playing of the twilight cards to advance the plot is where the meat of the game is for me -- there are some cool combos that can be set up.

However, this becomes borderline like Twilight Struggle in that it is really helpful to know the decks and anticipate what can come and how that best works with what you are trying to do. This automatically implies that the richest part of the game won't really reveal itself until after after at least six games or so, when the rest of the game becomes second nature and you have a chance to really pay attention to the deck interactions. Also, many of the interactions are not as obvious -- a lot of decisions to be made that are not going to be obvious unless you are dedicated to play several games of this. Since it is basically a 3 hour game, I don't think many people will make it to this point.

More
14 Jan 2009 14:32 #16944 by DeletedUser
I agree with the Dr Who comments, but not wanting to jump on the bandwagon, I'm going to say Star Trek - to coincide with the new movie this year.

I really like Tide of Iron and although FFG have just released some new stuff, I would really like to see more variety in the unit types.

Although not an FFG license, I second a rework and reproduction of Nexus Ops.

No idea about this one sorry.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds