October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

If You Ran Fantasy Flight...

More
14 Jan 2009 14:37 #16948 by Mad Malthus
1. Which license would you seek for Fantasy Flight's next game design?

Mad Max. It is time.

2. Which existing FFG game would you select to get another expansion?

Condottiere or Britannia.

3. Which existing FFG game would you re-work for an improved new edition?

Battlelore.

4. Which game not yet available in the U.S. would you try to get distribution rights for?

Hannibal Barkas or Renaissance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2009 14:43 #16955 by Almalik
1. Next Game design:

Steven Erikson's Mallazan series or some other equally intersting fantasy setting, done as either a CDWG or a fantasy war game in the tradition of Dragon Pass/Scarlet Empire/Nomad Gods, Swords & Sorcery, Divine Right, barbarian Kings.

Comic properties: Hellboy/BPRD, Fables, Dungeon (by Trondheim/Sfarr), the Goon.

2. Expansion for an Existing game:

Marvel Heroes (I can dream) or Conan :)

3. Re-worked edition:

World of Warcraft

4. Non-US game:

How about a Kings 'n Things reprint/update? or Magical Athelete as a silver line game?

More
14 Jan 2009 14:45 #16957 by ChristopherMD
Shellhead wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:

PS: I'd be excited if FFG announced a pirate-themed game.

Your wish is granted:

Mutiny!

www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7967

I guess I won't be excited after all. :unsure:

More
14 Jan 2009 14:51 #16962 by Shellhead
I really wanted to like Mutiny! But ultimately, it's a light Euro filler game, which is approximately the opposite of everything that I want from a game. That said, if I was forced to play a Euro, Mutiny would be high on my list. It's a clever little game, and the components almost manage to deliver the theme.

More
14 Jan 2009 15:19 #16968 by Ken B.
Shellhead wrote:

I really wanted to like Mutiny! But ultimately, it's a light Euro filler game, which is approximately the opposite of everything that I want from a game. That said, if I was forced to play a Euro, Mutiny would be high on my list. It's a clever little game, and the components almost manage to deliver the theme.

Oh man, Mutiny! is straight terrible. One dominant strategy, the other stuff is weaksauce. Plop all your money on the VP granting thing and leech off just enough to grab the spyglass on occasion.

It's "cute" but it's also really, really busted.

More
14 Jan 2009 15:22 #16969 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:If You Ran Fantasy Flight...
I want to mention briefly here that this is the Golden Age of boardgaming. We are right in the middle of it. We will look back in twenty years and reminisce about how fucking amazing the FFG big box games were. Trust me.

Watchmen would be nice but will cost a FUCK TON. The rights on this property are a damn mess. Good luck with the whole comics vs movie thing too. MESS!

UFC would be a smart license to snag. MMA is huge. They could do some cool stuff there I bet.

Marvel Heroes. This would add some new dudes and fix the problems with a new rule set. Ta-DOW.

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.... Deluxe Arkham Horror would just about kill me. I might actually die. Can you imagine such a thing? CAN YOU?

4. Which game not yet available in the U.S. would you try to get distribution rights for?There are games not available in the US? Good ones?

More
14 Jan 2009 15:32 #16971 by Juniper
Shellhead wrote:

I want a Batman game in which the players are the villains trying to poison the Gotham City water reservoir, or kill the teen sidekick, or take control of Wayne Enterprises, or whatever.

Marvel Heroes

Marvel Heroes

4. Which game not yet available in the U.S. would you try to get distribution rights for?

You guys are going to make fun of me for saying so, but a new version of Knizia's Clash of the Gladiators that fixes the aesthetic problems of the original would be a great game and a great fit for FFG.

More
14 Jan 2009 15:45 #16978 by Shellhead
Juniper wrote:

You guys are going to make fun of me for saying so, but a new version of Knizia's Clash of the Gladiators that fixes the aesthetic problems of the original would be a great game and a great fit for FFG.

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?" -- Captain Oveur, Airplane

More
14 Jan 2009 16:11 #16990 by ChristopherMD

Liebe & Intrige

Never played it, but its gotten good comments from ATers. FFG must keep the box colored pink.

More
14 Jan 2009 16:49 #17010 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:If You Ran Fantasy Flight...
Shellhead wrote:

Which license would you seek for Fantasy Flight's next game design?

Blake's Seven. One of the best SF series, with good characters to work with, and it all ends in a mess. That will make for a terrific game.

Which existing FFG game would you select to get another expansion?

WotR. Silmarillion and/or Hobbit. Loads of plots, to work out. Not necessarily with exactly the same rules as WotR though (but they did make good changes for BotTA). Interesting to put the different time spans for Elves, Dwarves Humans etc into one game. Maybe as scenario's.

Which existing FFG game would you re-work for an improved new edition?

can't think of one, haven't played them all

Which game not yet available in the U.S. would you try to get distribution rights for?

Is Dos de Mayo available over there?

More
14 Jan 2009 17:28 #17024 by Dogmatix
Jur wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Which license would you seek for Fantasy Flight's next game design?

Blake's Seven. One of the best SF series, with good characters to work with, and it all ends in a mess. That will make for a terrific game.

I love Blake's 7, which, I believe, brings the total number of people familiar with it in the US to right around 39. You're spot-on about it being a terrific series, but it doesn't have the legs in the US market that Dr. Who would.

2 de Mayo is distributed by Devir; I'm not sure if it's being distributed widely in the US, but it is available.

I'm on the "Marvel Heroes needs to be fixed" bandwagon, and I'd love more content for Doom; however, as far as I know, neither sold worth a damn, so I doubt either is worth the effort.

On the issue of expansions, it would be nice to see more War of the Ring stuff. I also think it would be nice to let Arkham Horror lay dormant for a little while as, at this point, you need a 9-foot table with a 20-slot commercial business card display stand just to set-up a "full" game. But, hey, if it sells, I can't fault folks for cranking out content there. Whatever pays the bills....

All that said, I'm not a Battlelore player, but I'd like to see a full relaunch of the brand rather than an expansion here or there. That whole line needs to be made relevant (and sensible) again.

As for distribution rights...that's not something to which I pay any attention, so no opinion there.

More
14 Jan 2009 18:10 #17038 by Bullwinkle
Any of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champions. Or Zelazny's Amber series.

Runebound. WITHOUT ANY FUCKING ALIENS IN IT AT ALL.

I'd rework Road to Legend. Or really, I'd rework Descent so it worked better with RtL.

Duck Dealer. No, that's not even funny as a joke.

More
14 Jan 2009 18:11 #17039 by Gary Sax

Lagduf wrote:

1.) Star Wars. Just kidding. Actually I want someone like GMT to be able to use the Star Wars license at least once so a badass designer can produce a Star Wars CDG about the Empire vs Rebellion.
[/quote]

I like the way you think.

More
14 Jan 2009 18:23 #17042 by hancock.tom
Gary Sax wrote:

Lagduf wrote:

1.) Star Wars. Just kidding. Actually I want someone like GMT to be able to use the Star Wars license at least once so a badass designer can produce a Star Wars CDG about the Empire vs Rebellion.

I like the way you think.[/quote]

Yeah, a star wars CDG or even a 3-5 player star trek CDG would be very awesome.

More
14 Jan 2009 18:48 #17045 by BradHB

Judge Dredd. A re-make of the Games Workshop board game would be awesome, and fit nicely in with FFG's catalogue. And don't any of you Americans mention the fucking movie in my presence.

I would have liked to see more done with Doom. I think a great idea would be to release scenario books, for both Descent and Doom. Just like hundred odd page hardbacks stuffed with quests/mini-campaigns. The costs would be minimal and the interest high.

I haven't played it myself, but Marvel Superheroes was supposed to be have been a wasted opportunity.

Not living in the US, I couldn't really give a shit.

I would really like to see FFG pick up the licences for Settlers, Carcassonne and Agricola...then watch TOS melt in a scream of agony.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds