October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

BSG Season premiere (SPOILERS!)

More
25 Jan 2009 01:42 #18276 by KingPut
Adama brushing his teeth and taking a shower. Agree = boring.

Hotdog is the dad of Callie's baby...big fucking deal. Agree = Crap. But it ties up loose end.

Laura and Adama. Agree = Total crap. But it's important for the coup / rebellion set up.

In my book the coup / rebellion set up made up for the boring crap.

The Felix and Starbuck scene was fraking great. Starbuck line about half a kick. Then Felix had the line "I guess a pity frak is out of the question" Great stuff.

Then there was the fuel ship jumping and Adama getting the info out of Tom. And then Zarek and Gaeta forming the alliance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2009 02:47 #18278 by Gary Sax
I thought this one was decent. Not an exciting ep but the rebellion could finally prove interesting and more than a one episode brief detour (fucking finally).

More
25 Jan 2009 12:31 #18291 by grimnir
Echoing KingPut regarding the Starbuck/Gaeta and Adama/Zarek scenes -- they were great. It was nice to see Adama getting back into the mode of being a hard-edged commander instead of a sad drunk.

More
25 Jan 2009 23:39 #18324 by TheDukester
I just caught up with it via TiVo, so this is totally off-the-cuff, first-reaction type of stuff, but ... I liked it. Well, most of it. And it was miles better than that horrible opener. Not that that was a huge challenge.

Man, when did it become necessary to damn BSG with faint praise? Three years ago, I would have said it would never come to this.

Next week is a deal-maker or deal-breaker for me.

More
26 Jan 2009 00:14 #18327 by PseudoIntellectual
I thought the latest ep was slightly better than the Premiere. I expect anyone who was disapointed with either or both of the first two episodes will find the next one the redeemer. Even if it continues to "middle" along, I'll keep watching, it's not like it's going to last that long anyway...

Lost, on the other hand, now there was a smashing premiere. Two hours of near-continuous *gasp!!!*-ing.

More
26 Jan 2009 10:43 #18352 by Michael Barnes
Wow, I'm totally in the minority on both counts it seems!

I do think the Gaeta/Zarek thing is going to be cool in the long run. He's got a lot of angst built up and I like how he's emerged as a political operator that even Zarek is seduced by.

The Starbuck scene, I don't know, I didn't think it was all that great until she left and he said "close the door".

The Tylium ship jumping...all I thought about was the game at that point and how whoever did that would go straight to the brig.

More
26 Jan 2009 12:44 #18388 by TheDukester
Michael Barnes wrote:

Wow, I'm totally in the minority on both counts it seems!

Nah, I'll bet if we compared notes, we'd see that we're pretty close on both episodes. This second one just clicked a little bit better for me. And, as I mentioned earlier, I was probably pre-conditioned to dislike the Season 5 opener, even if it had featured a Cylon lesbian orgy scene with multiple Tricia Heflers. I was just that turned off by the "Final Five" reveals from the end of Season 4.

More
26 Jan 2009 22:18 #18510 by KingPut
Last Friday was no Season 1 or 2 but it was better than anything from last season. And I also agree the best 30 minutes of the this season was the last 30 minutes of premiere from Dee's suicide to Adama's mental breakdown.

More
02 Feb 2009 23:49 #19575 by joebelanger
Just watched "The Oath". Whoa!

More
05 Feb 2009 03:38 #20067 by Gary Sax
Finally, a fucking awesome episode of battlestar worthy of the first season.

More
05 Feb 2009 06:40 #20079 by Mr Skeletor
What the fuck is going on?
I have been shitting on this show for ages, season 4 wasn't worthy of wiping my ass with episode 10 being such a fucking dud (I'm still amazed everyone thought it was great) that I didn't know if i'd bother this year.
But holy shit the show has done a complete 180 this year delivering 3 outstanding episodes in a row this year.
Finally! Some REAL drama. Some REAL tension. And most importantly character motivations that are starting to make sense. Hell, I'm even starting to become attached to some of the characters finally!

I'm still waiting for the cop out pussy resolution, but since it's near the end maybe we wont get it.
Did the show get new writers or something?

More
05 Feb 2009 12:07 #20144 by Gary Sax
If I had to guess, I think Ron Moore only operates well when he's under time pressure and the series may end. Which is why the first season was so good. There was 0 guarantee the series would continue

More
05 Feb 2009 13:32 #20167 by TheDukester
The Miniseries is strong, too. Talk about having no guarantees: most observers were predicting an epic fail for the entire project and laughing at SciFi for dusting off such an old premise.

The response: four tight, dramatic, well-crafted episodes. Just typing that makes me want to pull out the DVDs again right now.

More
05 Feb 2009 15:09 #20187 by joebelanger
Gary Sax wrote:

If I had to guess, I think Ron Moore only operates well when he's under time pressure and the series may end. Which is why the first season was so good. There was 0 guarantee the series would continue

First Seasons don't count comparatively for that very reason. Getting your best out there while you have your 15 minutes vs. maintaining momentum... apples and oranges.

More
05 Feb 2009 15:38 #20192 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, last week's episode was balls out tough...it was a kind of toughness the show hasn't really had since the end of the Pegasus story arc. It had that everything's about to fuckin' GO OFF feeling. Totally tense, engrossing...it was a good payoff to the 2nd episode (which I didn't like, but now in context it ain't so bad). Baltar hemming Gaeta in with that comment about the goings-on that transpired on New Caprica was probably the highlight for me.

Cliffhanger, I dunno, kinda dumb. We already know what's going to happen. They _say_ Tigh is dead (no way, unless he's somehow going to be resurrected, possibly leading to some kind of goofy new-age bullshit where he's in the Cylon afterlife floating around with Ellen) and we can see that Bill survives but is apparently blinded.

LOVED the Bill/Tigh, Lee/Starbuck partnerin'-up, guns-a-blazin' bits.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds