October 09, 2023
2805 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2945 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Dollhouse sucks.

More
22 Apr 2009 14:56 #26564 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re:Dollhouse sucks.
Anyone still watching?

So the last episode was simultaneously awesome and has a major hole. Mr. Dominic obviously isn't the one who planted the imprint chip in the chair. You'd think he would say something about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2009 15:31 #26567 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:Dollhouse sucks.
Still watching. Pissed hulu has no show this week.

Ok - question. A certain blue haired freak I know says the show is canceled. Other people who are into the show say nothing is certain, and the rumor was started by some as-yet-unnamed character misinterpreted why her role was cut.

Me liking a show is the kiss of death, though :(

More
22 Apr 2009 15:35 #26568 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re:Dollhouse sucks.
Nothing official, but I'd say renewal does not look good. Even Whedon seems a bit resigned to its fate; here's an interesting recent interview:

scifiwire.com/2009/04/joss-whedon-what-it-will.php

More
22 Apr 2009 16:44 #26582 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Dollhouse sucks.
This show was as good as cancelled before it started airing due to negative hype.

More
22 Apr 2009 18:20 #26610 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:Dollhouse sucks.
I don't think there was a new episode last week. Was there? Last I saw was episode 8 (I think) a week-and-a-half ago. The one with the Mr. Dominic issue to which Octavian referred.

I can't imagine this show will get renewed. It was probably dead from the beginning, but either way, I haven't seen anything since sufficient to make up for the weak start.

As for the episodes, I'm not feeling the love at all. I'll keep watching until it's gone, just because there's not much else I'm watching, but I'm really not that interested any more.

More
23 Apr 2009 00:47 #26666 by Octavian
It wasn't on Friday...instead FOX aired a new episode of Prison Break, which is supposedly a more successful show but did worse in the ratings than Dollhouse has been doing in the same slot.

More
05 May 2009 00:51 #27817 by Thaadd
Oh, Briar Rose episode rocked.

Also, yay! Acting gig for Wash from Firefly :)

More
18 May 2009 07:20 #29177 by Bullwinkle
Holy...Christ. Dollhouse has been officially renewed for 13 episodes . That's unbelievable. As in: I can't actually believe it.

Well, it's good news for Dollhouse fans. Which I am not. I gave it a shot--9 or 10 episodes--but I quit watching entirely a few weeks ago. While the vaunted mid-season turnaround did actually happen, going from 'sucking hard' to 'mostly uninteresting' doesn't count as a big win in my book.

More
18 May 2009 08:39 #29180 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Dollhouse sucks.
Bullwinkle wrote:

Holy...Christ. Dollhouse has been officially renewed for 13 episodes . That's unbelievable. As in: I can't actually believe it.

Well, it's good news for Dollhouse fans. Which I am not. I gave it a shot--9 or 10 episodes--but I quit watching entirely a few weeks ago. While the vaunted mid-season turnaround did actually happen, going from 'sucking hard' to 'mostly uninteresting' doesn't count as a big win in my book.

Isn't that even worse? I'm much more drawn to watch something described as "sucks hard!" than something described as "doesn't suck. Uninteresting." At least I can hope to get some laughs or something to joke about from the former.

More
18 May 2009 12:47 #29244 by Bullwinkle
Aarontu wrote:

Isn't that even worse? I'm much more drawn to watch something described as "sucks hard!" than something described as "doesn't suck. Uninteresting." At least I can hope to get some laughs or something to joke about from the former.

Heh. Good point. I like Aaron Sorkin, but I admit it was a delight to watch that Studio 60 piece-of-shit train wreck crash and burn.

This one, well, I guess I had high hopes for this show. I'm a fan of Whedon's stuff; he's a little inconsistent at times (the first couple seasons of Angel sucked, and Dr. Horrible was stupid), but overall, he's great. And I was pretty pissed about the premature death of Firefly. So I wanted this one to work. But I think you're right. Boring is much worse than sucking, in a way. It kind of reveals that there's no there there.

More
18 May 2009 15:30 #29298 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re:Dollhouse sucks.
Okay, where to start, then?

The first season is available on iTunes, and I've had my cursor hovering over the "buy now" button more than once, but it's discussions like this one that have made me decide to hold off. I've also seen some of you cats mention that it's possible the episodes weren't shown in the intended order (hello? Firefly again?), or that the show really picked up between episode X and Y. Or whatever; I haven't backtracked to read every post, being generally a lazy git.

So, okay, they're coming back for a second season. Great ... now, to catch up, where should I start? (and should I just skip some?) It's $2.99 an episode; not a fortune, certainly, but I'd rather not set fire to my money.

Advice and/or witty observations welcomed.

More
18 May 2009 16:12 #29319 by Thaadd
F the haters. Watch from the start. You will need it to get some of the weird history. They try to get exposition done lightly, but it still needs to happen. There are very few episodes that don't tie in just a bit with another...

I am so happy about this 2nd season :)

More
18 May 2009 16:16 #29323 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Dollhouse sucks.
And yet Terminator is cancelled. There is no justice.

Summer Glau as one of the Dolls. BOOK THAT SHIT.

More
18 May 2009 17:01 #29345 by Bullwinkle
TheDukester wrote:

So, okay, they're coming back for a second season. Great ... now, to catch up, where should I start? (and should I just skip some?) It's $2.99 an episode; not a fortune, certainly, but I'd rather not set fire to my money.

Well, I'd try eMuling them first, to see if it's something you're interested in. The better episodes start around #6, so if you watch from the beginning, you're paying almost $20 on a flyer to see if you even want to watch the thing. And I wouldn't judge the show from those early episodes. Or you can watch the last five or six episodes for free on fox.com.

If you have to pay for them, then I'd recommend the pilot, to set the tone, and then #6. Thaadd is right, there is backstory in the earlier episodes, and personally, I hate to watch anything out of order. But it's not as critical as you might think.

More
19 May 2009 00:11 #29416 by Octavian
Ken B. wrote:

And yet Terminator is cancelled. There is no justice.

Meh...never got into Terminator, and Dollhouse manages to do sci-fi with very little needed by way of special effects. I'm sure budget played a part in both decisions.

Summer Glau as one of the Dolls. BOOK THAT SHIT.

I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds