October 09, 2023
2693 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2860 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

BSG Finale (full of raging naked spoilers)

More
27 Mar 2009 16:49 #24681 by Michael Barnes
BSG= Designing Women in Space

That's just nonsense. BSG has none of the down-home, folksy charm generated by the pairing of Delta Burke and Dixie Carter. Nor does it have the hilarious flamboyance of Meschach Taylor, who should have been tapped to play Felix Gaeta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2009 16:51 #24682 by Deleted User 1

That's just nonsense. BSG has none of the down-home, folksy charm generated by the pairing of Delta Burke and Dixie Carter. Nor does it have the hilarious flamboyance of Meschach Taylor, who should have been tapped to play Felix Gaeta.

ROFL

More
02 Apr 2009 17:33 - 02 Apr 2009 17:34 #25097 by billyz
Wait, wait- Barnes has a pink cell? And even if he does how does Weeks now this?

Bah.Never mind.

What was that about Meschach Taylor?
Last edit: 02 Apr 2009 17:34 by billyz.

More
19 Jul 2009 16:30 #35507 by southernman
Finally worked through all my DVDs and pretty happy with the end result. A few ends not fully tied up but the interviews around confirmed that the end story wasn't really finalised to during season 3.

In answer to no humour in the show - what about the infamous 'Paper Shortage' scene :-)

More
19 Jul 2009 19:35 #35509 by Mr Skeletor
Southernman wrote:

Finally worked through all my DVDs and pretty happy with the end result. A few ends not fully tied up but the interviews around confirmed that the end story wasn't really finalised to during season 3.

Season 3?!?! Season 4.5 more like it.

More
20 Jul 2009 03:18 - 20 Jul 2009 03:19 #35538 by Octavian
How anyone can be satisfied with an ending that sees the Admiral and the President perfectly happy to let the blood-thirsty Centurion toasters take a base-star while they render themselves completely defenseless and stranded on a pre-technology planet is completely beyond my understanding.

The magical disappearing Thrace was just the piss on top of that shit sundae of a finale.

The series should have ended with the word "Frak" on irradiated Earth.

-MMM
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 03:19 by Octavian.

More
04 Aug 2009 10:52 #36961 by Columbob
Octavian wrote:

How anyone can be satisfied with an ending that sees the Admiral and the President perfectly happy to let the blood-thirsty Centurion toasters take a base-star while they render themselves completely defenseless and stranded on a pre-technology planet is completely beyond my understanding.

The point was that by finally being freed, the Centurions wouldn't want to rebel against their former masters.

Still, why did 13th tribe Earth have the same constellations as our Earth?

More
17 Aug 2009 15:31 #38187 by Shellhead
I haven't read this thread yet, wanting to avoid spoilers until I caught up with all my BSG viewing. I avoided BSG for a long time out of memory of the bad old tv show of my youth, but the FFG boardgame was so good that I finally started watching the modern incarnation.

The opening mini: Like an outstanding science-fiction movie with an open ending. Best tv pilot ever.

Season 1: Outstanding. Everything was great, the action, the character development, the intrigue, the paranoia. My only complaint is that Gaius Baltar is possibly the stupidest alleged genius in all of fiction, and his scenes with Six came across as lame comedy relief.

Season 2: Still good, but not as good as season 1. Getting really tired of Baltar scenes now.

Season 2.5: Great, but they missed out on great potential with the Pegasus situation. With a less heavy-handed approach, they could have kept Cain around a lot longer, gradually building to a dramatic conclusion. Then again, the faster conclusion to that conflict opened up some other interesting story angles.

Season 3: The quality really slipped. BSG got Lost, with too many flashbacks, visions and metaphysical wankings. The love quadrangle went on forever, then ended with a character "death" that even I could tell wasn't going to stick. In the two-part season finale, when certain characters started quoting Bob Dylan, I couldn't stop my eyes from rolling. Final Five? Who cares? What do the Cylons want? Who cares? How did Lee turn against his father so abruptly and completely? Who cares, the writing has turned them into strangers.

Season 4: I don't know if I should bother. That's actually the point of this post. If I didn't particularly enjoy season 3 and I hated the finale to season 3, should I bother watching season 4?

More
17 Aug 2009 15:42 #38190 by southernman
Telling you why to watch it would just about tell you what's in it. But series 3 and 4 definitely was either black or white with people - I enjoyed the first two series immensely and was surprised by the turn in series 3 but still enjoyed the story as it came out, and did enjoy series 4 ... but many didn't.

Probably best to watch it just for totality - then you can at least have a complete opinion and bitch/praise with everyone else.

More
17 Aug 2009 22:22 #38229 by J.T.
Shellhead wrote:

I haven't read this thread yet, wanting to avoid spoilers until I caught up with all my BSG viewing. I avoided BSG for a long time out of memory of the bad old tv show of my youth, but the FFG boardgame was so good that I finally started watching the modern incarnation.

The opening mini: Like an outstanding science-fiction movie with an open ending. Best tv pilot ever.

Season 1: Outstanding. Everything was great, the action, the character development, the intrigue, the paranoia. My only complaint is that Gaius Baltar is possibly the stupidest alleged genius in all of fiction, and his scenes with Six came across as lame comedy relief.

Season 2: Still good, but not as good as season 1. Getting really tired of Baltar scenes now.

Season 2.5: Great, but they missed out on great potential with the Pegasus situation. With a less heavy-handed approach, they could have kept Cain around a lot longer, gradually building to a dramatic conclusion. Then again, the faster conclusion to that conflict opened up some other interesting story angles.

Season 3: The quality really slipped. BSG got Lost, with too many flashbacks, visions and metaphysical wankings. The love quadrangle went on forever, then ended with a character "death" that even I could tell wasn't going to stick. In the two-part season finale, when certain characters started quoting Bob Dylan, I couldn't stop my eyes from rolling. Final Five? Who cares? What do the Cylons want? Who cares? How did Lee turn against his father so abruptly and completely? Who cares, the writing has turned them into strangers.

Season 4: I don't know if I should bother. That's actually the point of this post. If I didn't particularly enjoy season 3 and I hated the finale to season 3, should I bother watching season 4?

I agree on the season 3 finale. It definitely felt with the Final 5 revelation and cheesy psuedo-rock "All Along the Watchtower" that they were trying to shove the OMG THIS IS BLOWING MY FUCKING MIND moment down my throat. I began to rebel against the series at that moment.

IMO seasons 1 and 2 and the early 3 are equally good. I would have liked to see more of Cain too (the Razor movie is not what I mean), but I think that the Pegasus conflict series (the course of 3 episodes) is one of the two finest episode arcs in BSG. My other favorite episode arc is the first 4 of season 3.

I do think that the end of season 3 began to jump the shark for BSG with a bunch of really terrible episodes in a row (the one where Cat dies -- WTF), and then once Starbuck died it pretty much went to hell.

The strength of BSG in the early going was how believable everything was. The more it partook of the fantasy elements, the more it lost what was great about it.

More
18 Aug 2009 09:08 #38273 by Columbob
J.T. wrote:

but I think that the Pegasus conflict series (the course of 3 episodes) is one of the two finest episode arcs in BSG.

Definitely agree with this.

More
18 Aug 2009 09:32 #38277 by san il defanso
I started watching BSG earlier this year, and if I had only seen up until the beginning of season 3, I would have called it, unequivocally, the best TV show ever. After the New Caprica arc, my enthusiasm waned a bit.

Season 3 was good whenever it went for an actual story arc, but there were far too many episodes that were simply treading water. It was best during the Eye of Jupiter and the trial of Baltar, as well as the evacuation from New Caprica.

Season 4 was a lot more interesting to me after the mid-way point, especially Gaeta's mutiny. Finding out the backstory on the Final Five and the Cylons was interesting to me, because I always felt that backstory was the one thing this series never really did. The finale was pretty good, even though the little epilogue taking place in the "future" was awfully unnecessary. It felt like they did about as well as they could in the circumstances, and most of it was at least emotionally satisfying.

More
18 Aug 2009 10:13 - 18 Aug 2009 10:14 #38282 by Shellhead
J.T. wrote:

I agree on the season 3 finale. It definitely felt with the Final 5 revelation and cheesy psuedo-rock "All Along the Watchtower" that they were trying to shove the OMG THIS IS BLOWING MY FUCKING MIND moment down my throat. I began to rebel against the series at that moment.

IMO seasons 1 and 2 and the early 3 are equally good. I would have liked to see more of Cain too (the Razor movie is not what I mean), but I think that the Pegasus conflict series (the course of 3 episodes) is one of the two finest episode arcs in BSG. My other favorite episode arc is the first 4 of season 3.

I do think that the end of season 3 began to jump the shark for BSG with a bunch of really terrible episodes in a row (the one where Cat dies -- WTF), and then once Starbuck died it pretty much went to hell.

The strength of BSG in the early going was how believable everything was. The more it partook of the fantasy elements, the more it lost what was great about it.

Exactly. Total agreement. And yeah, I saw the Razor movie, and that was disappointing. So, should I bother with season 4? If it's similar to the end of season 3, I don't want to see anymore.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 10:14 by Shellhead.

More
18 Aug 2009 10:42 #38284 by san il defanso
The first half of season 4 spends a lot of time building on the inexplicable return of Kara and so forth, so if you didn't like that, this won't change your mind.

If you never got into the more metaphysical stuff of the show, the ending might very well irritate you as well. I personally thought that the second half of the last season was among some of the best stuff the show ever did, but I always enjoyed the mystical religious side of it, so your mileage may vary.

More
18 Aug 2009 11:11 - 18 Aug 2009 11:16 #38287 by J.T.
Shellhead wrote:

So, should I bother with season 4? If it's similar to the end of season 3, I don't want to see anymore.

I agree with Southernman that season 4 is worth watching for completion's sake. And I don't want to dump on it too much, because the worst season of BSG is still better than the best season of MANY other shows. However, if you called shenanigans on the Season 3 finale, nothing in Season 4 will change your mind.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 11:16 by J.T..

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds