October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

WOLVERINES!!!

More
18 Jun 2009 12:49 #32446 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
Lets see...No Powers Booth...No Harry Dean Stanton (Avenge ME!!!)...No Tom Skerit's evil twin Skippy...The Red Menace just doesn't cut it since Red October was the last cold war film.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2009 13:44 #32452 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
They could replace Russia with China?

Or, the movie could take place 20 minutes into the future, where some other random country is all the sudden a world power and wants to invade the US.

More
18 Jun 2009 13:55 #32455 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
Have to agree with everyone in that it was a film of the time - all those of us who were teenagers or older in the years prior to the mid-80s know that there was a foreboding fear around the world about the Cold War, even us way down out of sight at the bottom of the Pacific (I remember a discussion one time on how many nukes, if any, the USSR would waste on New Zealand).

And it was after the embarrassment of the Vietnam war, after the failure of the Iranian hostage rescue, before the first Iraq war when the best the US could do militarily was to invade Grenada and to supply Iraq - so a film on the US actually being successfully invaded and the military unable to defend the land was not an unthinkable topic.

More
18 Jun 2009 14:04 #32459 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
I don't think it matters if kids nowadays relate to the Cold War era or not. I saw the movie when I was a kid and just thought it was cool. I didn't watch it thinking it could actually happen or consider how it relates to the real world.

More
18 Jun 2009 17:05 #32502 by ChristopherMD
Speaking of remaking "Red" movies.

Red Sonja

Starring Rose McGowan...

More
19 Jun 2009 12:58 #32540 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
OK, I think I'd actually like to see the remake now. I tried to re-watch the original Red Dawn last night. Ho-ly shit. That has got to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I don't know how I ever thought this was stupid fun. It's not fun, just stupid. And boring. And shitty.

Maybe, in the hands of the right director, this new one could actually be fun.

More
19 Jun 2009 13:42 #32547 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
Oh, it's terrible. I'm not quite sure why it's so popular, I think the setup and the context are what really get people going. And the part where they pop up out of the wheatfield.

I guess the remake will probably cause a bunch of people to claim that their "childhood has been raped" or whatever.

When I saw TREK, they showed a trailer for LAND OF THE LOST and this big fat manchild starts groaning, bitching, and he literally says "they're raping my childhood". And he was serious. OVER A SHOW WITH PUPPET DINOSAURS AND KIDS IN MONKEY SUITS.

Speaking of remaking "Red" movies.

Red Sonja

Starring Rose McGowan...

I can deal with that, Howard be damned. :-)

More
19 Jun 2009 23:31 #32580 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
snarkerati.com/movie-news/a-new-robocop-movie-on-the-way/

And if the new Red movies weren't enough for you, it looks like we're getting either new installments or reboots of both Robocop and Death Wish.

More
21 Jun 2009 01:58 #32602 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
mjl1783 wrote:

And if the new Red movies weren't enough for you, it looks like we're getting either new installments or reboots of both Robocop and Death Wish.

I heard Robocop got dropped, or at least put on the back burner due to Aronofsky getting his long awaited supernatural ballerina movie greenlit (or something).

More
22 Jun 2009 14:51 - 22 Jun 2009 15:07 #32673 by cold_fuzion
Replied by cold_fuzion on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!

Michael Barnes wrote:Speaking of remaking "Red" movies.

Red Sonja

Starring Rose McGowan...

Where do we go for tickets?
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 15:07 by cold_fuzion.

More
22 Jun 2009 16:58 - 22 Jun 2009 16:59 #32714 by ChristopherMD

IMDB says 2010.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 16:59 by ChristopherMD.

More
23 Jun 2009 00:08 #32738 by mikoyan
mjl1783 wrote:

Maybe they'll actually film Robocop in Detroit this time instead of Houston...

Primrose Lane, where the fuck is Primrose Lane?

And how the fuck could you say a movie is set in Detroit and not have one fucking shot of the Ren Cen....

More
23 Jun 2009 00:10 #32739 by mikoyan
Michael Barnes wrote:

When I saw TREK, they showed a trailer for LAND OF THE LOST and this big fat manchild starts groaning, bitching, and he literally says "they're raping my childhood". And he was serious. OVER A SHOW WITH PUPPET DINOSAURS AND KIDS IN MONKEY SUITS.

I saw maybe 5 seconds of that show when I was a kid....I thought it sucked then. I've maybe seen about 5 seconds more of it...It still stucks. ABout the only thing good about it is the Sleestak Librarians from Robot Chicken.....

And will Farrel....GAH!!!!

More
25 Jun 2009 21:28 #33073 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Re:WOLVERINES!!!
Man, I loved Land of the Lost when I was a kid. In fact, it was one of my first boardgames. It had a spinner... Anyway, I caught a little bit of it on TV the other day and I can understand why I liked it. Juraissic Park it's not. But there was some bit about "temporal rifts" or some shit going on. In another episode the uncle or whomever got captured by the Sleestak and they had to use some diplomacy to get him off the menu. Nothing very deep but still decent sci fi for small kids back then. I mean it really didn't seem that different from Dr. Who in ways.

But ya know I was a wierd kid who thought super hero programs were the absolute bottom of the barrel shit in children's entertainment. Those fucking things reeked of cheap just as much as Land of the Lost did.

Red Sonja, now that might be good. I really liked Planet Terror. Although I can't recall a thing about the original movie other than it wasn't very good.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds