October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Thor

More
13 Jul 2009 17:24 #34741 by ChristopherMD
Thor was created by ChristopherMD
link

"Star Wars" co-star Natalie Portman is storming back into action films with a role in the comic-book adaptation "Thor."

The 28-year-old Portman has been cast as Jane Foster, who was a nurse and first love of the title character in the Marvel Comics. According to Marvel Studios, the character is being updated for the movie version of "Thor," in which the Norse warrior is cast down to Earth to live among humans.

Chris Hemsworth stars as Thor in the movie, which begins shooting early next year. It is due in theaters May 20, 2011. Kenneth Branagh (BRAN'-nah) is directing "Thor."

The movie is part of an ambitious schedule for Marvel Studios, including "Iron Man 2," "The First Avenger: Captain America" and "The Avengers."

As much as I love Natalie Portman, and I do a lot, I have to say whoever is producing this movie is basically throwing their money away. I seriously can't believe any non-comic dorks would give a shit about this character. Not to mention its probably a "fish-out-of-water" story of Thor showing up in modern America replete with lame jokes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2009 17:28 #34743 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Thor
Is she going to wear the pink wig and stripper outfit from CLOSER in it?

More
13 Jul 2009 17:28 #34744 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Thor
I hope they have the sense to go with Thor speaking quasi-Shakespearean English. Otherwise, watch the audience laugh like braying donkeys whenever he shouts "I am Thor!"

More
13 Jul 2009 17:36 #34745 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re: Thor
Kenneth Branagh (BRAN'-nah) is directing "Thor."

I think he could make a Dick and Jane movie cool. I love Branagh :)

I don't give a shit about this character, but if it fits in the 'Thaadd is a great big weenie' filter of violence, I'll go see it.

More
13 Jul 2009 17:40 #34748 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Thor
Thaadd wrote:

That practically guarantees that they are going the Shakespearean english route for Thor's dialogue.

More
13 Jul 2009 17:53 #34752 by Michael Barnes

I thought it was pronounced "edath".

It doesn't matter if the movie is shit or not...if there's a Linkin Park song in it and they make the Rainbow Bridge look like a PS3 game, people will flip their shit over it. Oh, and he has to smash a tank with Mjolnir.

I'm surprised Megan "Overexposed is my middle name" Fox didn't get the nod over Portman.

More
13 Jul 2009 17:57 #34753 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:Thor
Michael Barnes wrote:

Is she going to wear the pink wig and stripper outfit from CLOSER in it?

I was hoping for the outfit from Darjeeling Ltd.. Wes Anderson knows how to dress her up.

More
13 Jul 2009 17:58 #34754 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Thor
Actually, Megan Fox would have been an interesting choice to play Sif, assuming there will even be a Sif in the movie. Knowing Hollywood, they will probably skip the complexity of the Thor/Sif/Don Blake/Jane Foster love triangle/quadrangle.

More
13 Jul 2009 18:01 #34757 by Michael Barnes
You've already outstripped most of the world's knowledge of THOR.

More
13 Jul 2009 18:02 #34758 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Thor
Shellhead wrote:

Thaadd wrote:

That practically guarantees that they are going the Shakespearean english route for Thor's dialogue.

True and somewhat unfortunate. I'm afraid he might try to make this film artsy... and if there's one thing that Thor doesn't need it's artsy. Is this destined to be like Ang Lee trying to do a Hulk film (although I actually liked that turd a bit so maybe I'm totally wrong).

More
13 Jul 2009 19:29 #34776 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:Thor
Mad Dog wrote:

I seriously can't believe any non-comic dorks would give a shit about this character.

True, but then they didn't give a shit about Iron Man, either, and look how that turned out.

Not to mention its probably a "fish-out-of-water" story of Thor showing up in modern America replete with lame jokes.

See, this would totally sell.

More
13 Jul 2009 19:46 #34778 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Thor

Not to mention its probably a "fish-out-of-water" story of Thor showing up in modern America replete with lame jokes.

See, this would totally sell.

Not to me.

More
13 Jul 2009 19:51 #34780 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re: Thor
JonJacob wrote:

True and somewhat unfortunate. I'm afraid he might try to make this film artsy... and if there's one thing that Thor doesn't need it's artsy. Is this destined to be like Ang Lee trying to do a Hulk film (although I actually liked that turd a bit so maybe I'm totally wrong).

Ang Lee's Hulk is as great as Lynch's Dune -- a beautiful failure, but oh-so-much-more interesting because of it.

More
13 Jul 2009 21:23 #34790 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re: Thor
JonJacob wrote:

True and somewhat unfortunate. I'm afraid he might try to make this film artsy... and if there's one thing that Thor doesn't need it's artsy.

If there is one thing the world doesn't need it's another template marvel comic book film.
Brag's is the only thing keeping me a little interested in this. If this thing just ends up being another Iron man I won't even waste time downloading it (see wolverine).

More
14 Jul 2009 12:01 #34869 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Thor
Mr Skeletor wrote:

JonJacob wrote:

True and somewhat unfortunate. I'm afraid he might try to make this film artsy... and if there's one thing that Thor doesn't need it's artsy.

If there is one thing the world doesn't need it's another template marvel comic book film.
Brag's is the only thing keeping me a little interested in this. If this thing just ends up being another Iron man I won't even waste time downloading it (see wolverine).

He's just too artsy for this in my mind, and not good enough at this type of thing. Thor to me is a loud obnoxious drunk (a la Dirk Gently). But maybe he will pull it off. Another Iron Man I can handle... another Wolverine?? I don't have time to see the first one so obviously not. If it's done well then I don't really care if it's template or not (and besides with all the years and years of comic stories is there anything truly new going to come out of this... highly unlikely).

Dark Knight seemed really edgy and smart for a comic film, unless you've been reading comics for the last 30 years in which case it's more of a "about time" feeling. It does nothing that comics haven't done already... but for film that is new. They are just catching up to 1986 with their comic movies now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds