October 09, 2023
2548 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Movies of your youth that have aged poorly

More
17 Jan 2008 14:35 #981 by JoelCFC25
The idea for a thread came when I recently Tivoed GOONIES off HDNet Movies. I'm pretty sure I hadn't seen it since its theatrical release, so I was pretty fired up to watch it after all these years, remembering that I thought it was awesome at age 9.

Hugely disappointing. Sean Astin keeps calling One Eyed Willy's treasure "the rich stuff"....WTF? The action (such as it is) took absolutely forever to get going (close to 45 minutes I think). The sequences on the pirate ship are just comically bad. There are some great homages to the 80s though...the shorts-over-sweatpants look, Mustang GT 5.0 convertibles, excellent hair.

I'm viewing it through an adult lens, sure....but some movies of my childhood still kick ass. This one just hasn't stood up well to time.

Anyone else? I'm receptive to being branded a heretic, by the way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2008 14:40 #986 by Michael Barnes
LADYHAWKE. I thought it was so cool when I was a kid...the dude's a wolf, the lady's a hawk. But they can't be together because their schedules don't match up. Rutger Hauer shooting stuff with a crossbow, rampant medievalism... But I somehow forgot than Matthew Broadrick runs around the whole movie with a bowl cut and there's a Tangerine Dream score. And that it plays like the kind of quasi-fantasy romance novels I used to check out to old ladies when I worked at the library.

SECRET OF NIMH...I still like it, but I remember it being really dark and sinister when I was a kid and when I saw it in the theater, the parents let out an audible, collective gasp when that rat said "damn". Now it's really pretty tame, pretty standard cartoon for the period.

More
17 Jan 2008 15:39 #992 by Ken B.
SUPERGIRL.

Wait, were they supposed to be good back then, too?

More
17 Jan 2008 15:40 - 17 Jan 2008 15:47 #993 by Michael Barnes
How did THE LEGEND OF BILLIE JEAN age for you Ken, since you seem to be the Helen Slater authority around here? Do you still cry when they steal that kid's scooter?
Last edit: 17 Jan 2008 15:47 by Michael Barnes. Reason: comedy

More
17 Jan 2008 15:44 #994 by Shellhead
There are too many recent movies that I haven't gotten around to seeing yet, so I rarely watch the old stuff again. But I did see Logan's Run again last year, and it now looks very dated. They might as well have shown a disco in that city. Still a decent movie, though.

More
17 Jan 2008 17:16 #1002 by Pat
I've been thinkig of watching Logan's Run again, was just talking about this last Friday. I'm trying to locate a copy but one of my concerns was exactly this, how has it aged?

More
17 Jan 2008 17:38 #1008 by Shellhead
The hairstyles are very '70s, and the overall hedonistic lifestyle of the domed city reminds me of the Me Decade. And the special effects are pre-Star Wars, so not very impressive. Otherwise, it is still a good science-fiction movie.

More
17 Jan 2008 18:34 #1019 by Mr Skeletor
The Goonies doesn't hold up? What the hell?
When compared to the PC shit that passes for kids films these days it's better than ever!

Lets count the awesomeness:

- Mild sweraring throughout - wouldn't get away with it today!
- Gluing David's dick on upside down - fucking classic.
- Mouth posing as a drug dealer talking about cocain and shit - you'd never see that today!
- Chunk gets picked on through the whole film yet there is no lame scene where the other kids appologise to him.
- Criminals point their guns (and swords) at kids.
- Dead bodies with bullet holes.
- A torture scene involving a kid - that would cop an R rating these days!

Man goonies is a fucking classic - a 'family' film that doesn't pander to the audience. A film like that simply would not be released now. Apart from that it had great characters, took it's time and is possibly one of the best 'group of friends on an adventure' coming of age stories ever filmed, only one I can think of that may compare is Stand By Me.

How the fuck can you say it doesn't stand up. I think it's even BETTER when viewed through an adult lens since you pick up the subtext and themes you missed when you were a kid who was just interested in the adventure (Who framed roger rabbit is similar in this regard.)

More
17 Jan 2008 19:13 #1022 by Shellhead
You've sold me on Goonies, I am finally willing to give it a try. But I hated Roger Rabbit so badly. And I'm a big fan of Warners Brothers cartoons. But Roger Rabbit was lame and super-annoying. P-p-p-pluh-leeze!

More
17 Jan 2008 19:24 #1024 by Ken B.
Michael Barnes wrote:

How did THE LEGEND OF BILLIE JEAN age for you Ken

All I know is, the kid is not my son.

Michael Jackson jokes--TIMELY!

More
17 Jan 2008 19:47 #1026 by Lagduf
I'm going to have to agree, Goonies is still a quality film.

More
17 Jan 2008 19:53 #1027 by hacksword
Transformers: The Movie no longer has the touch.

More
17 Jan 2008 21:26 #1039 by mikelawson
Michael Barnes wrote:

SECRET OF NIMH...I still like it, but I remember it being really dark and sinister when I was a kid and when I saw it in the theater, the parents let out an audible, collective gasp when that rat said "damn". Now it's really pretty tame, pretty standard cartoon for the period.

The movie was pretty good (had among other people, Dom Deluise in it), but the book was much better. The book has aged much better too.

--Mike L.

More
17 Jan 2008 22:18 #1044 by Mr Skeletor
Shellhead wrote:

You've sold me on Goonies, I am finally willing to give it a try. But I hated Roger Rabbit so badly. And I'm a big fan of Warners Brothers cartoons. But Roger Rabbit was lame and super-annoying. P-p-p-pluh-leeze!

You are dead to me.

More
17 Jan 2008 23:28 #1046 by Grungebob
Excalliber was a good movie when I was a kid but it just does not stand the test of time. I'll glasly watch it anytime but it is really outdated.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds