October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Movies of your youth that have aged poorly

More
11 Mar 2008 13:09 #4022 by pronoblem
Heavy Metal... saw this in a theater a couple of years ago and thought to myself "I used to like this?". At the same time, Wizards and Hobbit stood the test of time much better...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2008 00:36 #4055 by PseudoIntellectual
pigasuspig wrote:

Mallrats. Thought it was a witty riot when I was 16. Alas, time has been unkind to this classic of witty nerds chatting. It just seems dumb now.

Clerks only holds up marginally better.

Same here. It struck me, when I last saw it, as a hollow reflection of Clerks; Basically the two characters were the same in both films, dealing with the same issues, but in Mallrats they were less witty than Clerks. The Jay and Silent Bob parts (normally my favourite part of any Kevin Smith affair) seemed ham-fisted and childish in Mallrats. I was pretty disapointed.

More
11 Jun 2008 13:28 #7585 by Rliyen
Michael Barnes wrote:

Y'all are nuts...TRANSFORMERS is still a great 70 minute avalanche of violence- mercy killings, execution-style murders, beloved characters dropping like flies, "You Got the Touch"...come on man, Optimus riding out to (spoiler)
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
(spoiler) is one of the classic moments in 1980s kid cinema. Sure, they were just wiping the slate clean for a new line of toys, but at least they did it in robot blood.

Just awesome how they cleaned out several old school Autobots in a shipjacking in space.

Favorite lines: "Such heroic nonsense."

MEGATRON BUSTS A FACE CAP.

"Oh, how it pains me to DO THIS!"

"Wait, I still function!"

"Wanna bet?"

Two favorite tracks from the soundtrack: "Instruments of Destruction" and "The Death of Optimus Prime".

More
11 Jun 2008 13:32 #7586 by Rliyen
billyz wrote:

I was really disappointed to realise exactly how shallow Akira turned out to be without the help of hallucinagens and and some good pot.

Hell, Akira was crap back when it came out. People were claiming it was Blade Runner-esque. They HAD to be smoking some bad crack to compare that movie with Akira. The only thing in common between the two was that it was set in the FUTURE.

The only good thing about that plodding piece of shit was the soundtrack.

More
11 Jun 2008 15:52 #7588 by NeonPeon
Spaceballs. I watched this movie about 50 times as a kid, and it was awesomely hilarious each and every time. I saw it recently for the first time in at least 15 years, and while I still knew almost every line by heart, the funny was almost non-existent.

More
11 Jun 2008 23:07 #7591 by Merkles
Birth of A Nation.

The moral of the story didn't hold up quite so well. Not sure how it would play in wide release today.

More
12 Jun 2008 11:13 #7597 by Uethym
This one is obscure, but it was one of my favorites as a kid -- TWICE UPON A TIME.

It's an animated film, in the South Park paper cutout style, about a couple of misfits stopping the bad guy from spreading Nightmare Bombs with vultures. I believe George Lucas was involved. It used to play on HBO a lot, and my brother and I would watch it every time. Several lines went into our regular conversation: "Welcome to the Garbagerie. Please follow the happy feet."

About ten years ago my wife found a VHS copy for my birthday. It was a lot less funny than I remembered. I think it's one of those movies, like BUCKAROO BANZAI, that are funnier when you quote it than when you watch it.

(ducks)

But we did name our dog after the head vulture (Rudy).

More
15 Jun 2008 23:15 - 15 Jun 2008 23:28 #7661 by Shellhead
Michael Barnes wrote:

ET didn't age well for me...when I saw it as a kid, I wept because ET died. Now I realize that it's just the Christ story with a Reeses Pieces shilling alien. Who, incidentally, was designed by Carlo Rambaldi, who did all this unbelievably hideous and gruesome effects work in Italian horror pictures in the 1970s before he went "soft".

My girlfriend temporarily got burned out on her anime addiction, and has recently been using her Netflix for some interesting foreign films. Just today, we watched "I'm Not Scared," an amazing Italian movie. I don't want to spoil the details, but it hit some similar notes and themes as E.T., only where E.T. rings false, this movie strikes true. Replace E.T. with [spoil]a kidnapped kid[/spoil] and then mix in an unflinching look at what kids are really like, and adults, too. It's so hard for adults, even creative ones like writers, to remember and express what it was really like to be a kid, so when somebody gets it right, I'm impressed. However, "I'm Not Scared" is a little too intense for young kids.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0326977/
Last edit: 15 Jun 2008 23:28 by Shellhead.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds