October 09, 2023
2526 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
19 Dec 2016 14:16 #240941 by Gregarius
I really loved La La Land, but I'm hesitant to oversell it. I imagine it's a shoe-in for Best Picture just because it sings the praises of Hollywood so much (and The Academy always loves having its ego stroked). Anyway, my point is that you'll have plenty of time to catch this one. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm desperate to see Moonlight, but I'm worried my window has already closed for seeing that in the theater.

Like you, Barney, I'm excited to see Manchester by the Sea, despite the bleakness. I think it comes from the opportunity to be truly moved by a film, something that's just not going to happen with yet another Star Wars picture. Plus, we nerds tend to nitpick properties we already know, which makes unknown properties seem more blemish-free. Our brains just react differently to genre films than they do arthouse films. No matter how much I like Rogue One, I already know I won't like it as much as Sing Street, even though they're both nostalgic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2016 14:25 - 19 Dec 2016 14:32 #240944 by Black Barney
Sing Street was so blissful. I'm almost as anxious to see if any of the songs get nominated for an Oscar as i was when Once's Falling Slowly did. Did you guys melt at that performance Oscar night? I was elated.

Greg, you have to see Moonlight, you have to. I wonder if that supporting actress stands a decent shot at winning (I don't think so, i think Viola Davis has this totally locked up). Is that really the girl from 28 Days Later btw?? And the guy will 100% get best supporting actor I think.

I haven't seen La La Land yet but I know Oscar pretty well at this point and I'm already at a place where I could comfortably wager some money on both the movie getting Best Picture and Emma Stone winning best actress. I saw The Artist and wasn't surprised at how Oscar reacted to that. This should be the same. That kind of movie will sweep best picture, best director.

I'm still mad at my brain for giving my heart a hard time over Force Awakens. That movie really made me question what's wrong with me. I both loved and didn't love that movie at the same time and I hate being in that kind of conflict. I think you're right, it's something about genre films. It's the exact same reaction to the Star Trek reboot i had.

Speaking of Oscar, watch for major controversy if Casey Affleck beats Denzel Washington this year. That's going to be close. People will raise a stink when Ruth Negga will lose to either Emma Stone or Natalie Portman, but that's not as close.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 14:32 by Black Barney.

More
19 Dec 2016 16:10 #240955 by Grudunza

Black Barney wrote: i can't remember either. Was it cuz of how I voted in one of the cinemadomes ? I voted Drive over Taxi Driver (wasn't even close for me), was it that one?

I hope you get the black lung!

Oh yeah, it was the Blues Brothers/Ghostbusters one where you had the nerve to choose wrong.

I watched Sing Street a third time last week. (It's on Netflix now, btw, if anyone hasn't seen it.) So much right. Still my favorite of the year. I doubt it'll get any nominations for Best Picture or Director or Actor, but I will be disappointed if one of the songs (pref. "Drive It Like You Stole It") doesn't at least got a nod. And it might just possibly get a nomination for original screenplay. I wouldn't pick it to, and I doubt it will, but I'd love to see that. Best Song is probably where it should be represented, though I'm guessing they'll give the win to Lin-Manuel for his EGOT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Dec 2016 16:24 #240960 by Black Barney
Ghostbusters over Blues Brothers shouldn't even be considered controversial for crissakes

CUT YOUR NAILS FOR GOD'S SAKE!

The more I'm thinking about Manchester by the Sea, the more i'm thinking about how perfect Moonlight was. It's going to be a tough one to beat for me.

More
19 Dec 2016 16:41 #240965 by Mr. White

Gary Sax wrote:

Shellhead wrote: 3:10 to Yuma was okay. This was the remake that I saw, not the original. Christian Bale turned in a solid performance, and Russell Crowe had fun with his easy role. The story was somewhat basic, and I'm not seriously into westerns, but there was plenty of action. The lead characters finally won me over in the last 10 minutes of the movie, but I am no likely to re-watch it anytime soon.

Same. It was a middle of the road competent genre film, but on a genre that doesn't get much love in the last 20 years so it was notable.

you guys are high. that remake was fantastic. sure bale and crowe were good, but Peter fonda and Ben foster were also standouts. I rate ben Foster's charlie prince one of the great screen villians of the 00s. second only to day lewis' bill the butcher.

I don't buy there being any subtext between Evans wife and Ben Wade, but I did like how Wade made the turn to admire Evans, sketching him into his book.

killer soundtrack as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Dec 2016 16:48 #240968 by Black Barney
i thought it was OK. It came out way too soon after True Grit which was FANTASTIC.

More
19 Dec 2016 16:54 #240972 by Mr. White
it predated true grit by several years.

More
19 Dec 2016 17:11 #240981 by Black Barney
Dang, I'm mixing true grit up with something else. I remember Yuma coming out right after some really good western I can't remember what it was

More
19 Dec 2016 17:21 #240982 by Vlad
Appaloosa, I think. They came roughly at the same time, but Appaloosa is way better, IMHO.
But then again, I don't really like Yuma.

More
19 Dec 2016 21:30 #240997 by Cranberries
True Grit was fantastic regardless of what it predated. I had just gotten over being sick, and it was winter, and we watched it in a packed theater, heated up by all those people. Beautiful cinematography. One of my top five movie watching experiences, along with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Lawrence of Arabia. And Imax Interstellar.

More
20 Dec 2016 01:40 #241009 by Cranberries
Recently my brother stopped by with his new wife and his kids who were really tired, and my wife got offended by something stupid he said. Then somewhere I heard about Junebug, which is a about a man from North Carolina who marries a cosmopolitan woman who runs an art gallery, and they visit his family while she tries to land some outsider art from a crazy guy who paints lots of penises on his civil war scenes. Tension ensues and I realized that after 22 years my wife is not going to understand my family. The end.

More
20 Dec 2016 02:17 #241010 by Space Ghost

Vlad wrote: Appaloosa, I think. They came roughly at the same time, but Appaloosa is way better, IMHO.
But then again, I don't really like Yuma.

I enjoyed Appaloosa and Yuma. Also, Seraphim Falls came out around the same time, which I enjoyed

More
20 Dec 2016 09:04 #241021 by Black Barney
I didn't see Allapollooosa, dammit I wish I remembered which recent western soured the milk of Yuma for me maybe it was The Proposition ?

More
20 Dec 2016 10:16 #241033 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: I didn't see Allapollooosa, dammit I wish I remembered which recent western soured the milk of Yuma for me maybe it was The Proposition ?

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford?

More
20 Dec 2016 10:21 - 20 Dec 2016 10:23 #241035 by Black Barney
that came out a week after 3:10 to Yuma I think.

Ok upon further reflection, i think I remember what happened now. I think i did actually like 3:10 to Yuma and it was when Allapaloosea came out just after I was all, "I'm not seeing another Western! I just saw a good one!"

yeah, i think that's what happened when I look at the timeline of releases. I must have mixed them up.

...still much preferred True Grit tho. And now I want to see The Edge of Seventeen for all the wrong reasons.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 10:23 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.675 seconds