October 09, 2023
2790 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2937 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
02 Jan 2016 22:13 #218882 by Shellhead

JonJacob wrote: I'm guessing that even though no movie is worthy of this everything will be rated on a < or > Star Wars scale for at least one year.

That's only because Star Wars fans have a large presence online, and are easily dazzled by visuals. From what I've been hearing, The Force Awakens is visually impressive but largely lacking in creativity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2016 23:12 - 02 Jan 2016 23:14 #218883 by Gary Sax
Saw Hateful 8. I think I agree with most of you here. It was a Tarantino ass Tarantino film. I thought the first half (the mystery-ish part) was very good, and the second half was fine but nothing special. So I was a little disappointed. I'm not sure what to read into the film, which is a bummer given that I thought Django Unchained was making a pretty interesting meta statement to the viewers about what is and isn't "acceptable" to have as an action movie premise. The reviewer I read for Kinja summed up the only message I could draw from it nicely, "the only thing that can unite a black and a white guy, north and south, is beating and hanging a woman."

One thing that helps with Tarantino films is that I don't really watch any other directors like him often. So when one of his films comes out every few years, I'm totally ready for the combination of length, violence, and dialogue dependent stage plays that he writes. If I frequently saw movies like this I think it would hurt my opinion of his films when I see them.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2016 23:14 by Gary Sax.

More
02 Jan 2016 23:31 #218884 by Sagrilarus
I saw Ex Machina tonight. Very interesting.

S.

More
03 Jan 2016 00:55 #218886 by SuperFlySwatter
for some reason the wife made me sit and watch Jupiter Ascending or whatever the hell it was called. one star on Netflix is not a good sign, its a bit like being dragged into a McDonalds by your kid and being asked to eat from the budget menu section or something
and by god it was awful, I mean, every single person involved in the making of that movie should never be allowed to work in movies again. What a colossal waste of millions of dollars of money which could have furthered world peace or something.
Who are these people? I'm being serious, who are the fucking idiots who first of all write this shit, then get to the point of having something to sell, who are the idiots who sit and watch the pitch and say yeah seems like a winner, who signs off on millions of dollars for something so utterly utterly shite its offensive, its obviously some kind of weird conspiracy by the movie industry to launder money or attempt to syphon public money to actors and film makers unions or some shit.
Thank fuck I could play Tigris on my phone while waiting for that shite to end.

I'm going to watch Star Wars next weekend, it better not disappoint me, I've crossed firmly into the grumpier older ages now where I'm just getting sick to death of how fucking shite so much stuff is that I no longer accept its not some kind of elaborate fucking wind up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
03 Jan 2016 02:11 #218887 by daveroswell

repoman wrote: Actual quote:

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."
-Winston Churchill in 1939

I always suspected you were Russian.

More
03 Jan 2016 02:18 #218890 by Disgustipater
The Wachowski's amassed a huge amount of capital from The Matrix, that they been burning through ever since. Let's hope Jupiter Ascending was the last of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
03 Jan 2016 03:15 #218892 by SuperFlySwatter
wow I totally missed that they were involved with this.

That's not quite as disturbing as seeing George Lucas on the credits of the Star Wars prequels but it's in the same postcode.

More
03 Jan 2016 09:11 #218900 by Sagrilarus
Is Jupiter Ascending worse than Independence Day?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
03 Jan 2016 09:28 #218901 by Legomancer

Disgustipater wrote: The Wachowski's amassed a huge amount of capital from The Matrix, that they been burning through ever since. Let's hope Jupiter Ascending was the last of it.

And yet when they made the fun-as-hell Speed Racer, nerds were all "I didn't like Matrix Revolutions so this sucked".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
03 Jan 2016 09:29 #218902 by Legomancer
Ex Machina. Really well done.

More
03 Jan 2016 09:36 #218906 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote: Ex Machina. Really well done.

Yeah, I'm still thinking about that one. I woke up this morning still considering the implications of the ending.

It was really impressive the way they worked the Turing Test into the plot and used it to move the message. Very brooding, slow pace, but quite deep. I may end up seeing it again.

Significant eye candy as well, both the ladies and the scenery.

More
03 Jan 2016 10:11 #218910 by repoman
Jupiter Ascending is better than Independence Day because Jupiter Ascending has Mila Kunis in it. Also, as bad as Jupiter Ascending was it was at least attempting for something new and original and really in this age where naught but reboots and established IP's get made into big budget movies it deserves some credit for that. Independence Day wasn't a reboot either but a variation on War of the Worlds so I give it a bit less credit in that department.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, JEM

More
03 Jan 2016 11:03 #218915 by Disgustipater

Legomancer wrote: And yet when they made the fun-as-hell Speed Racer, nerds were all "I didn't like Matrix Revolutions so this sucked".

Yeah, I enjoyed Speed Racer.

More
04 Jan 2016 09:34 #218966 by Black Barney
I saw Minions and Fantasic Four on the flights over the holidays. Both were bad but Minions was far far worse. I actually thought this Fantastic Four was much better than the former version, although still not good. Sue and Ben were fun. Wasn't there an air drop of Thing in the trailer that never happened in the movie ? Also why could they breathe on planet zero at the end of the movie ? And why did they often have face plates so you could never see their faces? We lost all the performances!! If Thing can have a working mouth made of rock, why can't Doom have one made of metal?

But my penis days that Sue is cute so I didnt hate the movie in the end

More
04 Jan 2016 09:51 #218967 by Egg Shen
Watched Police Story over the weekend. My wife loves Jackie Chan so I got her a Police Story 1 & 2 Blu Ray for Xmas. Goddamn...the action in this film makes most modern action films not named Fury Road look like a kid's films. Dat mall scene at the end! Holy shit balls! Great film. It's got amazing stunts, bits of loopy humor, and one hell of an ending.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.762 seconds