October 09, 2023
2585 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2783 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
10 Jan 2016 14:10 #219513 by ChristopherMD

RobertB wrote: Watched Interstellar with the wife and daughter over the weeked. It was 2 vs 1, them vs. me, with the ladies arguing that it was only the Plan B people who send the black hole and the Tesseract back to our timeline. I think it's your usual time travel bootstrap thing, but the ladies don't buy that. All that aside, it's a really good grown-up SF movie.

I think everyone on Earth died in the original timeline, but left behind that robotic AI which evolved and eventually found a way to save humanity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2016 17:43 #219523 by hotseatgames
I saw two movies this weekend....
Hateful Eight - if you like Tarantino, you'll like this movie. I'm happy to say it didn't feel like 3 hours at all. It's a pretty fantastic movie. And as always, Walton Goggins steals every scene he's in.

He Never Died - Henry Rollins is invulnerable. This sounds like the recipe for awesomeness. But it isn't. Dumb story, lame action, Henry not really being much of an actor... nothing really works here. One interesting high note: the actor who plays Trevor in GTA V is in this. I immediately recognized him, both from his looks and his voice.

More
10 Jan 2016 19:49 #219528 by Sevej
I actually just watched Guardians of the Galaxy, and thought it was very, very good, but can't help being pissed for its Marvelism. In a way, they are very successful keeping it the comic-book-way where everyone says something smart/funny/awesome every 5 minutes, having unusual characters just for the sake of being different, having a twist just for the sake of making surprise, super ultra powerful being with a martial-artist right arm, etc, etc, etc. Everytime this happens, I'm yanked out of the universe.

More
11 Jan 2016 01:05 #219536 by the_jake_1973
I saw The Martian on the plane today and enjoyed it quite a bit. I was also able to catch about 30 minutes of A Man From U.N.C.L.E. I do enjoy Guy Ritchie stuff and this seems like it is delivering. I'll have to see it on the return trip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
11 Jan 2016 09:41 - 11 Jan 2016 09:44 #219563 by Columbob

Mr. White wrote: I feel the window is closing on Avatar's message though. I don't anticipate us colonizing a habitable planet anytime soon, and we seem to have already made the decision on how we're going to treat the resources and people on this one.

Depends on what you mean by habitable. It's very likely we'll be colonizing Mars within our lifetime, however people over there will be living inside bases or under domes. Terraforming is an undertaking that would take hundreds or more likely thousands of years.

If we ever find another earth-like planet with an existing ecology, notwithstanding the fact that distances between stars are simply immense and will take generations to cross even at great speed, chances are the alien bacteria over there will kill us anyways.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 09:44 by Columbob.

More
12 Jan 2016 10:53 #219758 by charlest
Watched Sicario last night. Plot was weak and contrived at times but the film was very enjoyable and tense. An early scene has theme extraditing a Mexican criminal from Juarez and it is as intense as the best scenes in Heat.

Big fan of this director who also did Prisoners and the fantastic Enemy. He's doing the new Bladerunner too and will hit it out of the park.

More
13 Jan 2016 13:06 - 13 Jan 2016 13:11 #219868 by jay718
Northern Soul. I really wanted to like this one, but it was just awful. The subject matter is great, the music is phenomenal, and even the dance scenes were well done, but the writing and acting made this damn near unwatchable. Check out the soundtrack though; if you're not overly familiar with this genre of music it's a fantastic primer. It was released as a 2cd, double lip, and a special limited box of 14 7" records with rare cuts on both sides. I really wish something like that had been available years ago, before I shelled out big bucks for some of the original 45's...

This is currently streaming on Netflix, but check out the BBC doc about the 70's northern soul club scene that's up on YouTube. Much better than this dreck.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2016 13:11 by jay718.

More
14 Jan 2016 11:13 - 14 Jan 2016 11:14 #219912 by Black Barney
Looks AWFUL

Which actor is worse in this? I can't decide. I think it's Superman honestly. But it's close.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2016 11:14 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Varys

More
14 Jan 2016 11:29 #219914 by Grudunza
Barney, I'm waiting for your obligatory Oscar thread. Fury Road: Best Picture, Director, Editing, and seven more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Jan 2016 11:40 #219918 by Black Barney
wtf is going on today. I'm getting inb4'd like nobody's business. Grud and Scissors, get outta my head!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
14 Jan 2016 13:28 #219935 by Gregarius
So far, the only thing I like out of all the trailers is that Batman's voice is obviously digitally modified rather than just some dude faking a scary voice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Jan 2016 10:26 #220108 by RobertB
My daughter wanted to watch a movie last night. I tried to get her to watch The Quick and the Dead, but the spousal unit had already poisoned the well for that movie, and my daughter refused to watch it. So after a bit of back and forth, we ended up watching Nightcrawler. It's kind of Network, 2014 edition, and Gyllenhaal is flat out creepy in it.

Afterwards, she wanted to watch another one, and I wanted to end on a lighter note, so we watched Galaxy Quest. I don't think she's watched enough (as in any) TV Star Trek*, so some of the humor gets a little lost. But she still liked it, and I knew I was going to like it.

*I tried to get her to watch TOS a while back, and the effects were too rough for her to take. And I am not a TNG fan. Maybe I'll pitch it again this week.

More
18 Jan 2016 10:35 #220109 by Black Barney
wow, what the hell is this...

More
18 Jan 2016 11:03 #220116 by the_jake_1973
After watching Man from U.N.C.L.E. in its entirety while returning from Seattle, I want a sequel. I found it quite enjoyable in that Guy Ritchie way.

More
18 Jan 2016 11:39 #220118 by charlest
Black Mass was interesting. Good performances but the makeup was a bit distracting, barely looked like Depp. Little slow too but interesting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.484 seconds