October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
26 Mar 2017 13:09 #245642 by Black Barney
I just realized you haven't even met Legion yet. You're in for a treat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2017 16:32 - 27 Mar 2017 16:34 #245669 by Black Barney
oh yuck, i'm glad I'm skipping this one

lol @ 4:00

Last edit: 27 Mar 2017 16:34 by Black Barney.

More
27 Mar 2017 17:14 #245671 by jeb
Bloodbooooooooorne.

I killed the Cleric Beast and now I feel like I could kill ALL Y'ALL MUTHAFU--{crow killed me, I'm dead.}
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Mar 2017 17:52 #245673 by Vlad
Oh man, playing Bloodborne for the first time, I envy you.

I finished Torment Numenera the other day. Hate to say it, but it was disappointing. It is just too short and feels too limited. It has only 3 main areas, and they aren't big. The last one, Bloom, is awesome - until I realized it was the last one, I had assumed I was halfway through. The story is also not on par with Planescape. It is just not epic enough, and tries to cut deep, but in the end lacks the punch. It feels extremely rush. One moment, you know nothing, the next you get revelation after revelation, I kinda stopped caring. Also, throughout the game I did not get why it had "torment" in the title, it just didn't feel too tormenty. Like, most of the quests have a sort of "good" solution, or at least the one I'd be able to live with and sleep sound at night. But, towards the end, every character talks about "torment", it is torment this and torment that - clearly compensating for the previous lack of torment. I couldn't avoid feeling disconnected from the whole affair by the time you need to make the final choice. So, I hit button, watched everybody torment themselves and then it was over.

All in all, in the end it is like a straight to DVD sequel of a classic twenty years later.

I just read that the original Torment might get an HD version, maybe on Ipad, too. I'll be willing to give it a shot. Maybe it wasn't as good as I remember it...

More
28 Mar 2017 07:37 #245685 by JEM
I got Interstate 76 Nitro working last night (kinda), even running in 1920x1080. Groovy.

More
28 Mar 2017 11:04 #245696 by RobertB
I wanted to play Interstate 76 when it came out way back when, but I found out that the flight sim wheel I owned (the one that looked like it came out of a Cessna) really sucked at combat flight sims. And I didn't want to play a driving sort of game with a joystick, nor spend the money on a good driving controller. Maybe I'll spring for it on GoG or something.

More
28 Mar 2017 12:38 #245705 by JEM
I used to use a $15 Saitek joystick back when I was into it. I was heavily into it, in the online community for years, making maps and all that stuff. I was able to map the controls to my xbox joypad, which is some guesswork as it doesn't tell you which button is no.1,2,3 etc, but it works fine until it crashes.

GOG has the Interstate 76 Arsenal for $6, which is Interstate 76, and Interstate 76 Nitro (stand-alone expansion). For the online scene we were all on Nitro, and while there are some cool single player missions on it, the real story is in the original game.

Hey, Stampede- how about a poem?

More
28 Mar 2017 13:23 #245707 by jeb
HUMAN RESOURCE MACHINE from Tomorrow Corp (WOLD OF GOO, LITTLE INFERNO) is another one of those coding puzzle games I have been so intrigued by lately. This one's on iOS (iPad only I gotta believe, it's big on the screen) and Steam. You have some crumy job to do, and some crummy limited instructions and get to work!

tomorrowcorporation.com/humanresourcemachine
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

More
11 Apr 2017 11:57 #246341 by Gary Sax
Playing more of the Witcher. One thing I like about what the Witcher does is that it doesn't give you a moral blank slate with your dialogue choices. It's not like "shoot this innocent man and be a monster!" or "Give him 1000 dollars out of your own pocket!" It does enough of this for your choices to matter but a lot of situations the Witcher knows what he's going to do. But a notable angle is that you *do* get to craft his approach in a number of other ways almost completely. So I'm playing my Witcher as a relic of a bygone age who has great sympathy for the remaining non-murderous elements of the supernatural. I just did a quest where a troll accidentally killed a bunch of people on an island. My Witcher has great sympathy for that because he only vaguely knew what he was doing and he's sort of a dying breed, so I helped him draw a painting on a wooden plank and left him be. I could have murdered him, which would have also been a moral thing to do in response to the human lives, but this fit more with my conception of the character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Feelitmon

More
11 Apr 2017 17:00 #246366 by hotseatgames
Just bought the latest Humble Bundle, which is a bunch of space strategy titles, including Space Hulk Ascension. Anyway, one of the games is Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate Edition, which is fantastic, and I already own. So... first person to say he wants it, provided it's not a brand new user who just registered to score it, may have the key.

More
11 Apr 2017 17:45 - 11 Apr 2017 17:52 #246370 by RobertB
Gary Sax wrote:

My Witcher has great sympathy for that because he only vaguely knew what he was doing and he's sort of a dying breed, so I helped him draw a painting on a wooden plank and left him be.

Spoilers for those who might play Witcher III:

Warning: Spoiler!

ETA: I've left a few monsters live. Some succubi, your troll mentioned above, some other trolls. To paraphrase Geralt, "I kill deadly monsters. That monster hasn't hurt anybody, and that guy looks like he's having a good time."
Last edit: 11 Apr 2017 17:52 by RobertB.

More
11 Apr 2017 19:27 #246383 by hotseatgames
Just played the recently out of early access, Crawl. I have owned this game for 2 1/2 years, and it has come a LONG way. It is super tense and fun in local MP. Basically, each of you take turns being the hero in a dungeon. The others control traps and monsters. If you are the one to kill the hero, you get to be the hero. The objective is to level up to 10 and open a portal to the boss. The boss is also controlled by the other players. If the boss kills you, whoever killed you gets to be the hero, etc. Each person gets a crack at the boss, and then it calls it. It's really neat.

More
11 Apr 2017 20:54 - 11 Apr 2017 20:55 #246386 by Disgustipater
I should try and find some game footage of the final version to see how it has changed. Because when I first saw it, it seemed to be lacking options for the monster players.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2017 20:55 by Disgustipater.

More
11 Apr 2017 23:06 #246396 by hotseatgames
Checked out Space Hulk Ascension. It's basically Space Hulk meets X-Com. You manage squads, loadouts, attributes... they gain XP from mission to mission and you can improve their skills. Beyond those campaign / video game features, it still plays like Space Hulk. One cool thing that is a throw-back to the OLD Space Hulk pc game; you have a little window through which you see what the selected Marine sees.

Also did the tutorial for Rebel Galaxy. Seems competent but I doubt I'll get into it. Those types of games were never my taste.

More
12 Apr 2017 08:10 #246406 by Black Barney
I played the trial versions of INSIDE and EVERSPACE last night.

Inside was beautiful and scary in the best way. I'll buy it one day for sure

EVERSPACE was very polarizing. I don't like starting a space sim in space. I loved in Elite Dangerous that you have to undock and carefully taxi away from a space station. The best flight sims start you on the ground not the air.

I like the linear RPG like way of getting through a sector through a series of jumps. With challenges and quests.

But even with that push to give structure, I still feel totally lost entering a new sector. What do I do first when I'm out of scanners. I was good with mining and treasure hunting but I didn't know who to attack. And I always seemed to piss off some corporations by accident who would chase me out of the sector in a really fun chase while my jump drive charges.

The game has lots of potential and I hope they improve the tutorial to give general guidelines on entering new sector. Something like:

Use scanner
Loot
If looting from corp, use cloaking device or attack support ships but only if heavily armed

Anyway I'm looking forward to someone doing the perfect space sim one day

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds