October 09, 2023
2601 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2800 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
15 Dec 2015 15:12 #217381 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: It's great- pretty much a 1:1 port of the tabletop game- bullshit die rolls and all. Some shaky technical bits, but overall it's BB 100%.

Not quite.

BB2 has taken several rules from Plasmoid's Narrow Tier rules. A ruleset that is fine when implemented as it's supposed to be, which is wholesale together. Instead, Cyanide has only included parts of the rules (changing some player costs and such) but not all of them. It provides a less than desired experience. Also, I understand, some skills are automatic and you do _not_ get the choice on if you're using them or not. Plus, Cyanide created Bretonnians who have never had a tabletop roster.

These changes mean playing BB2 is different than any local table top leagues or tournaments. It's a 'version' of BB to be sure, but not one that you'll see on any tables.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice, the_jake_1973

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2015 15:38 - 16 Dec 2015 08:41 #217385 by the_jake_1973
There was a tabletop roster for the Albion Wanderers from the Death Zone expansion of the first edition of Blood Bowl. The team consisted of peasants and knights. I would see that as the genesis for a Brettonian team.

I think that the old BB roster expanded upon in MBBL2 for online play.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2015 08:41 by the_jake_1973.

More
15 Dec 2015 17:00 #217401 by Black Barney
lmao, if video game lag was in real life...

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
15 Dec 2015 17:01 #217402 by hotseatgames
Finished the first 10 "situations" for Rainbow Six: Siege, and have been playing a lot of Terrorist Hunt. Some MP, but I suck pretty bad at it. I have 13 of the 20 operators unlocked. Anyone else here playing it on PC?

More
15 Dec 2015 17:13 #217404 by Michael Barnes
Ha! I lured Jeff White out of his monastery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete

More
17 Dec 2015 07:26 #217559 by ThirstyMan
Still playing the excellent FREE Tales of Maj 'Eyal, a rogue like adventure. This time I got my guy to a Level 11 Fighter with a hat that fires lightning bolts and a shield that fires icy water made of eel skin and various other nick nacks that made him cool, like a light that blinds all the enemies in a 5 hex radius. Needless to say, I got too cocky and too close to some kind of bitch wolf with mind zapping abilities. FUUUUUUCKKK.

My guy dies and it's permadeath. FUUUUUCK. To make it worse the wolf was down to 4HP from 900HP and I STILL FUCKED IT UP. Now I need a new controller due to anger management issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
17 Dec 2015 15:35 #217606 by Erik Twice
I haven't played roguelikes for long but I always got killed that way: I found something powerful, got cocky and then died for not taking the challenges seriously enough.

More
17 Dec 2015 15:40 #217608 by SuperflyPete
I want The Division but I think it's going to suck. I think Homefront would be better in the "American Crisis" type game. I really would like to get R6 Siege but I hated LAs Vegas so I'm not sure I want to "siege the day".

More
17 Dec 2015 18:31 #217617 by Michael Barnes
A couple of reports to file here, mostly follow-ups...

I've been messing with Rock Band 4 on the QT because it's for the kids' Christmas. Got a bunch of songs, the good stuff. It does feel quite asinine to be singing Erasure's "A Little Respect" in an empty house. I'm kind of worried it may be a little too hard for them, but I guess that's what no fail is for. It seems like this outing is pretty stripped down though, a lot of features I remember seeing in 3 (which I only ever played over at Swamp Castle) aren't there like keyboards. Which kind of stinks, because I totally wanted to get the Billy Joel piano challenge or whatever it is. Billy Joel is one of my favorite Rock Band acts. Especially "Only the Good Die Young" and "Movin' Out". I did get all of the kids' favorites- "Rock n' Roll All Nite", "Surrender", "Breakin' The Law", "Jailbreak", "Love is a Battlefield", "Weird Science"...and of course every Bowie track they sell. I also exported Rock Band 3 successfully using a used copy I got for $20, so that's a bunch more songs.

Biggest disappointment is that St. Vincent's "Birth in Reverse" really isn't much fun to play. Who put Lightning Bolt on there, what an odd choice. The on-disc songs are pretty crap, who the fuck wants to play "Friday I'm in Love" an any Fleetwood Mac song that isn't "Rhiannon" or "Dreams".

Still LOVING Fast Racing Neo. It is awesome, one of the best hover jet car racing games ever. It totally stands up to F-Zero, but it doesn't have the personality of those games. That said, the racing is HOT- it's actually quite technical with the color switching and boosting mechanics. And some of the tracks are just devilish, really pushing you to the limit. Sometimes it's a little too punitive and you wind up watching your top three finish drop down to tenth after a crash or two. For a single player, more hardcore racing experience I think it has a couple of edges over Mario Kart 8, if I'm being honest. It certainly can't compete in charm, multiplayer and plain old fun but it's a very different offering.

Also still loving Steamworld Heist. It's one of the best TBS games I've played in a while. It's pretty simple, but it allows for some pretty XCOM-y tactical play...and crazy skill-based ricochet headshots. The tone is light, the robots are fun and there's a ton of gear to try out. On the higher difficulty levels it's pretty challenging. It's perfect for the 3DS, but I don't know if I'd really want to go full console with it.

Going back to Transformers: Devastation periodically. The game blew my son's mind. It's all he talked about for like three days. It is pretty fucking awesome if you are a G1 fan. I mean, you battle SOUNDWAVE and he shoots Razorbeak and Ravage at you.

SW Battlefront I actually kind of got tired of. It's good for a casual round or two, but it's just not deep or compelling enough to really dig in with it like Destiny. I kind of knew this would be the case, but with that said it's instant SW gratification when you're playing it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
17 Dec 2015 21:30 - 17 Dec 2015 21:31 #217628 by hotseatgames

SuperflyTNT wrote: I really would like to get R6 Siege but I hated LAs Vegas so I'm not sure I want to "siege the day".

Siege is NOTHING like any of the other Rainbow games. Watch a video, it will be all you need to tell you if it's up your alley. If you ever liked Terrorist Hunt, it's great in this version.

And the Vegas games were great. But a completely different world compared to Siege.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2015 21:31 by hotseatgames.

More
18 Dec 2015 10:22 #217670 by Erik Twice
Today I made it past the halfway point of Final Fight without losing a life. I have never played a beat'em up seriously before and it seems to me that they have a very weird difficulty curve, you don't seem to be making any progress and suddenly you are moping the floor with enemies and making it unescathed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
18 Dec 2015 10:41 - 18 Dec 2015 10:49 #217672 by Mr. White
What edition of Final Fight are you playing?

I'm a big fan of F-Zero, but haven't been able to pull the trigger on Fast Racing Neo...probably because it doesn't look to have the colorful characters. F-Zero GX is one of the best racers I've ever played. Besides the balls hard challenge (I never did beat story mode), the custom building, neat characters, announcer, etc all added up to a very immersive title.

I look at Fast Racing Neo and it reminds me of something like Wipeout in the mid-late 90's. Another F-Zero clone that was supposed to be amazing, and it was fine, just didn't have the charm of Captain Falcon (who with his Judge Dredd inspired design is one of my favorite Nintendo characters) and Co. Does Fast Racing Neo do any character or world building at all or is it just white-knuckle racing? Something as simple as having cpu opponents faces on the side in their race order would go along way towards adding some flavor to the title.

I know Nintendo have said they haven't done any new F-Zeros because they don't know where to take it from GX, but this Ikaruga switching thing sounds really cool and its too bad Nintendo didn't think of it. Maybe that idea would have been enough for them to consider building a new title around. It's a shame no GC titles seem to make it to the Wii U eShop. I'd buy GX day one.

Oh, am I reading this right...Smash on the Wii U may be the last one? I'd probably be good with that. would have liked to have seen Shovel Knight over Bayonetta though. Shovel would fit the line-up better, imho.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2015 10:49 by Mr. White.

More
18 Dec 2015 10:46 - 18 Dec 2015 10:56 #217673 by Mr. White
Man, I forgot how many great characters are in GX!

How much for a used GC?

Wait...if they're doing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD for the Wii U...don't know where to take GX...how about F-Zero GX HD? Day One, Mofos!!!
Last edit: 18 Dec 2015 10:56 by Mr. White.

More
18 Dec 2015 10:56 #217674 by Black Barney
I got some great laughs out of this. For any Spelunky fans (I've never even played it and I found this hilarious)

The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Erik Twice

More
18 Dec 2015 11:30 #217677 by SuperFlySwatter

hotseatgames wrote: Finished the first 10 "situations" for Rainbow Six: Siege, and have been playing a lot of Terrorist Hunt. Some MP, but I suck pretty bad at it. I have 13 of the 20 operators unlocked. Anyone else here playing it on PC?

I would love to, R6V/R6V2 were awesome, the Thunts especially, kept me going online with my kid brother for many years.
But this is PS4 right? I tried the demo on my PC and for the first time I can remember, my PC really is not up to it, I guess its been many years since I was using the PC for gaming and keeping up with hardware.

I was thinking about getting a console maybe in the summer, but was thinking maybe a WiiU was a better investment with the prospect of kids approaching the right age for console games, I only really use the PS3 for blu ray and netflix, I heard you can patch the PS4 to play blu ray? On the other hand, I grew tired of the development of AAA video games long ago after I worked in the industry for many years, so for the indie and retro stuff I prefer now I dont really need a "next gen" thing

still, of the handful of games I would seriously consider buying a console for, a R6V game thats at least as good as the last few with Terrorist Hunts

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.568 seconds