October 09, 2023
2545 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
24 Oct 2016 14:35 - 24 Oct 2016 14:41 #236814 by Black Barney

Mr. White wrote: links to these sketches?

you're right, that was dumb of me.

Here it is before it gets taken down. Watch this quickly and enjoy it :)

It's going to be different for you guys cuz Charlest and I have hyped it up a bit. Try to imagine watching this when you're expecting NOTHING

i recommend watching this on Youtube where you can make it landscape or half-your-screen, you gotta see Hanks' facial expressions and stupid hand movements.

i love it when the writers just go BALLS OUT and take risks by writing stuff like this. it's either going to be great or horrific.

Anyone that writes "meh" here HAS NO SOUL
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 14:41 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2016 14:45 #236816 by Black Barney
Charlest,

if you liked this, watch this other one which is so obviously the exact same writers that came up with David S. Pumpkins.

Here's the rehearsal footage of Larry David trying to get through the sketch but it's just too stupidly funny that he can't do it. I love this (totally the same type of humour)

More
24 Oct 2016 15:00 #236819 by Gregarius
I love when Tom Hanks appears on SNL. He always commits 100%. I imagine that he misses doing comedy, since all he ever gets are dramatic, serious roles anymore. But I still remember him from the days of Bachelor Party and Bosom Buddies.

David S. Pumpkins was perfect goofy fun. Black Jeopardy was good, but I loved the meta aspect of it. Knowing how the sketch usually goes made the anticipation of Doug's answers better, and then the subversion was sublime. The Debate sketch was good but obvious. It's telling that they were able to just quote from the debate directly without parody. Sully was my least favorite, but not because it wasn't good (it was okay), but was that really the best they could do with Tom Hanks and Alec Baldwin!? What a wasted opportunity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
24 Oct 2016 16:16 #236834 by charlest

Black Barney wrote: Charlest,

if you liked this, watch this other one which is so obviously the exact same writers that came up with David S. Pumpkins.

Here's the rehearsal footage of Larry David trying to get through the sketch but it's just too stupidly funny that he can't do it. I love this (totally the same type of humour)

I'll check it out when I get home from work.

Hitting the 100 floors of terror totally unexpectedly is a big part of it. I switched over during the intermission of the Blues/Flames game and caught it at perfect timing. I was half asleep and I was like "WTF is going on, this is brilliant."

I've already done the "I'm David Pumpkins! Any questions?" a couple times to my wife (she didn't watch it).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Oct 2016 22:14 #236854 by dysjunct
I am unintentionally watching "The Ranch," a Netflix sitcom that is really terrible and unfunny. (The wife is watching it and she is having a rough week at work so I am taking one for the team.)

More
24 Oct 2016 23:11 #236860 by hotseatgames
I watched the first 2 eps of season 3 of Black Mirror. Totally awesome, and the second episode is quite frightening.

More
25 Oct 2016 01:58 #236862 by Grudunza

hotseatgames wrote: I watched the first 2 eps of season 3 of Black Mirror. Totally awesome, and the second episode is quite frightening.

I finished the sixth one tonight. Solid season, for sure. My favorites were the 3rd and 4th. I really liked the experience of the second one, but it was probably my least favorite of the six only because it was a bit predictable. And I don't usually guess things like that, especially with Black Mirror, but I called that one about halfway through. Still cool, though, and yes, frightening.

More
25 Oct 2016 10:51 #236872 by Rafael Silva
Season 3 of Black Mirror didn't work for me at all. I really enjoyed the first two seasons but the shift from dystopian/social horror to personal horror killed it for me.

More
25 Oct 2016 11:57 #236880 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
WESTWORLD is good television. I was a little let down by Episode 2, and thought it could go sideways, but it's righted and I've been totally digging it.

FLEABAG (Netflix?) is great! That lead is amazing. This is one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time and a lot of the humor is driven by Ferris Bueller fourth-wall breaks. Must be tough as hell to film.

More
25 Oct 2016 14:17 - 25 Oct 2016 14:27 #236900 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote:

charlest wrote: Anyone catch SNL this past weekend? I'm still laughing about that Tom Hanks David Pumpkins sketch.

I LOVE you. We were talking about SNL at work this morning and all the girls could talk about was Black Jeopardy and the opening debate sketch, and one of them couldn't say enough good things about the Sully sketch (?!)

I'm of the mind that the 100 floors of terror sketch (David S. Pumpkins) is by far the best and its 100% because Hanks totally commits to the role. It's the opposite of phoning in a performance, he's so insanely over the top that I can’t stop laughing. Especially the very end, which is the most perfect comedic timing end to an SNL sketch we've seen in years

No one is talking about this sketch and it bothers me

I actually enjoyed Black Jeopardy more. Pumpkins seems to go along with the randomness that passes for humor these days (Uncle Grandpa cartoons and such that my kids watch, or that damn Apple-Pen song). It was funny, but Black Jeopardy was actually clever. It showed that when it comes down to it those disenfranchised aren't so different after all...yet their false ideologies are worlds apart as highlighted at the end. Does Doug really think he has more in common with Trump and other politicians?

Very well done.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2016 14:27 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Varys

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.815 seconds