October 09, 2023
2605 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2805 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
13 Jan 2016 23:06 #219888 by Shellhead
Having watched now episodes 5 and 6 of Ripper Street (out of 8 episodes in the series), I need to revisit my previous review a few posts back. The various hints of depths to the main characters in the first four episodes finally paid off in a great pair of episodes. Both episodes featured a cinematic combination of action and deep characterization, with some symbolism and themes thrown in for good measure. I am pleased to discover that BBC has already made two more seasons, and the show was renewed for a 4th and 5th season as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2016 02:56 #219891 by Grudunza
I had heard good things about Ripper Street elsewhere, but was planning to nix it from my Netflix queue after your last post. I'll keep it on there now.

I was about to say that these days I don't know if there's time to watch a series where people say "you have to wait until at least 3-4-5 episodes... that's when it gets really good." But it occured to me that I did exactly that with The Leftovers. So I'll probably give this a chance, after all.

More
18 Jan 2016 08:49 #220101 by the_jake_1973
Mr. Robot. What a show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Jan 2016 21:28 #220154 by Cranberries

Grudunza wrote: I had heard good things about Ripper Street elsewhere, but was planning to nix it from my Netflix queue after your last post. I'll keep it on there now.

I was about to say that these days I don't know if there's time to watch a series where people say "you have to wait until at least 3-4-5 episodes... that's when it gets really good." But it occured to me that I did exactly that with The Leftovers. So I'll probably give this a chance, after all.

Yeah, I think you were the one who sold me on the Leftovers. I just finished season one, and I think it damaged me--in a good way. I forgive Damon for Lost.

More
19 Jan 2016 02:06 #220167 by Grudunza

craniac wrote:

Grudunza wrote: I had heard good things about Ripper Street elsewhere, but was planning to nix it from my Netflix queue after your last post. I'll keep it on there now.

Yeah, I think you were the one who sold me on the Leftovers. I just finished season one, and I think it damaged me--in a good way. I forgive Damon for Lost.

Ha, right. Well, I forgive him for the final season (and especially the finale) of Lost. I loved it until then, so I still look at it as a "journey over destination" kind of thing. But I think he learned from that, and apparently said right off the bat that we will not receive any big answers on The Leftovers as far as the big mystery of what happened on Oct. 14 (or whatever the date was). Now, who knows, maybe we actually will get some resolution to that, after all, but I think he's smart to not promise that (like they always did for Lost). Better to leave the point of the show to the drama inherent within the characters and situations, and not concern for the mythos of it all.

Second season is AMAZING, btw. Strap in for quite a ride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Jan 2016 08:26 #220174 by Legomancer
Watching season 2 of Penny Dreadful, which is goofy, dumb fun. Everyone in it is having a good time and the characters are fun. Also tons of female nudity (including Billie Piper, if you're a Doctor Who fan), though they finally threw us a dick the other day.

More
19 Jan 2016 10:10 #220185 by Joebot

Legomancer wrote: Watching season 2 of Penny Dreadful, which is goofy, dumb fun. Everyone in it is having a good time and the characters are fun. Also tons of female nudity (including Billie Piper, if you're a Doctor Who fan), though they finally threw us a dick the other day.

I'm about half-way through season 2 as well. I never hear anyone talk aobut this show, but I love it. Every episode gives you at least one signature 'what the fuck!??!" moment that you'd never see in any other show.

Also ... Eva Green is making a serious bid for my one "Famous actress that my wife says it's okay if I sleep with her" spot that's currently held by Scarlett Johansson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Jan 2016 10:29 #220187 by Black Barney
Eva Green would be way better
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
19 Jan 2016 11:32 #220199 by hotseatgames
Angie Tribeca. If you like Police Squad or Naked Gun, check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
19 Jan 2016 20:10 #220287 by Sagrilarus
Is Penny Dreadful on TV? I only see it via PPV.

More
20 Jan 2016 07:50 #220314 by Legomancer

Sagrilarus wrote: Is Penny Dreadful on TV? I only see it via PPV.

Showtime. I bought season two and watch through Amazon Video.

More
20 Jan 2016 08:53 #220315 by Sagrilarus
I have Showtime but don't see it scheduled. Must be between seasons. I'll have to wait for it to repeat.

Tivo lets you camp on a title. I could put "Penny Dreadful" into watch-queue and it would pick up a show like this when it came around in three months. Can't do that with Verizon's cheesy knock-off DVR. If it isn't in the schedule in the next two weeks you can't set it to record. Really miss my Tivo some days.

More
25 Jan 2016 12:50 #220762 by ChristopherMD
My favorite Marvel show, Agent Carter, is back and so far so good for the second season.

More
25 Jan 2016 20:30 - 25 Jan 2016 20:33 #220798 by KingPut
Agent Carter Season 2 Pretty good start to the season. Great opening fight scene. And loved the Jarvis working out in his black socks, showing his boxing and judo moves. Move to LA in the late 40s is pretty cool.

I really hope Peggy Carter will have a comic and will be included in theMarvel Ledgendary Captain America 75 anniversary expansion.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2016 20:33 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
25 Jan 2016 21:12 #220804 by Grudunza
I've only seen the first episode, which didn't grab me quite as much as I'd hoped, compared to the first season. But it's definitely fun, and I could sit and watch Hayley Atwell read the phonebook for an hour, so I'm all in, regardless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.644 seconds