October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Upcoming Movies - Summer 2012 and beyond

More
06 Feb 2012 20:22 #115435 by Black Barney
Upcoming Movies for 2012

It's always fun to talk about Upcoming Movies at the beginning of the year before the Summer blockbusters are coming out to see what people are most looking forward to and what will be hot this year. Last year at this time, the ONLY movie I was looking forward to was TRON LEGACY which turned out to be not-unlike-vomit

This year there are two films I am really looking forward to. Broken down my month of release, here are some of the ones I'm most looking forward to and ones that others are looking forward to but I am not. Let's discuss!

FEBRUARY

I'm kind of excited about IN DARKNESS. Having seen a WWII jewish movie since.... the Debt which was meh. It seems like you get at least one of these movies a year.

THE SECRET WORLD OF ARRIETY looks really good.

A REALLY cool Iranian movie, THIS IS NOT A FILM, looks really good.

I will obviously skip STAR WARS I: THE PHANTOM MENACE in 3D

MARCH

I'll also obviously see TIM AND ERIC'S BILLION DOLLAR MOVIE

LET THE BULLETS FLY looks really cool.

As does THE SALT OF LIFE

and BLACK BUTTERFLIES looks cool as hell

FRIENDS WITH KIDS looks like the next Bridesmaids but better.

PLAYBACK looks absolutely terrible so I'll likely see it.

I will almost pay someone to go and see THE FP (lol)

THE RAID of course looks unbelievably incredible. We've been waiting for this one for some time. I think it's from South Korea?

APRIL

MONSIEUR LAZHAR - a Canadian Oscar-nominated movie gets wide release. I hear it's amazing.

BULLHEAD (Rundskop) sounds really really cool

MAY

THE AVENGERS - i honestly have zero interest

PATIENCE (After Sebald) - I hear good buzz but MAN does it sound boring

THE DICTATOR - Sacha Baron Cohen is always entertaining so it might be good.

BATTLESHIP - lol, I don't think so

MEN IN BLACK III - no interest

JUNE

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN - if my crush on Kristen Stewart can not force me to see the last Twilight movie, I'm sure I can skip this too.

PROMETHEUS - OMG OMG OMG, i can't WAIT. I need to see it before I hear anything about it, preferably. I want to have zero expectations as much as possible.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER - yeah, I'll pass

YOUR SISTER'S SISTER - yeah, it looks really good. I'll see it.

GI JOE 2: RETALIATION - not sure I got the title right but who cares, I won't see it.

JULY

THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN - no thanks

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES - probably along with Ridley Scott's sci-fi mentioned above, the two movies I'm most looking forward to (note: last summer I most looked forward to Tron which was AWFUL so who knows what this year holds)

AUGUST

THE BOURNE LEGACY - yeah I dunno. I'll probably see it but this bugs me

TOTAL RECALL - this bugs me even more to the point that I don't think I'll see it.

EXPENDABLES 2 - no thanks

PREMIUM RUSH - probably the worst summer trailer I've seen so far. OH BOY! BIKE COURIERS! What a blockbuster! PASS.

When's PIRANHA 3DD coming out?! The first one was SOOO good.

DECEMBER

THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY - yeah, I'll see it.

WORLD WAR Z - I'm a huge LOTR nut and I'm more looking forward to this than the Hobbit. I don't know what's happening to me.

well, that's the round up for this summer's movies and a few other ones...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2012 20:46 #115439 by repoman
Shame on you Barney. No mention of John Carter of Mars? Look, I know it's probably going to be utter crap and yet, way down, there is this tiny voice that keeps saying.."but maybe it'll rock".

I'm going to go see it. Edgar Rice Burroughs one of the three greatest pulp authors to have ever lived. If for my life long love of his writing and no other reason, I will see it.

The three you mention, The Hobbit, Batman, and the Prometheus. I will look forward to those.

Other than that....I can't imagine seeing anything else in the theater.

More
06 Feb 2012 20:47 #115440 by ZMan
Here is what I'm looking forward to - and for various reasons:

February
Chronicle
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (in 3D) - I liked the first one.
Safe House - Denzel looks cool in it.
This Means War - just looks like fun.
The Secret World of Arrietty - I have a DVD of it.
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (in 3D)
Bullhead (Limited) - just saaw a trailer for it and it looks like it could be very good.

MARCH
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (in 3D)
Jeff Who Lives at Home (Limited) - maybe. I like Jason Segel.
Tim & Eric's Billion Dollar Movie (Limited)
John Carter (in 3D)
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
21 Jump Street - I have to - I watched the series. Jonah Hill.
Casa de mi Padre - Will Ferrell and an all Spanish language movie.
The Hunger Games - I woill try it though not many cinematic attempts of YA novels have really gone over well with me.
Goon
Mirror Mirror
Wrath of the Titans (in 3D)

APRIL
The Three Stooges - Another "I have to". I just gotta see it.
Bad Ass (Limited)
Lockout

MAY
The Avengers (in 3D)
Dark Shadows
The Dictator - for stupid fun.
Battleship - I love big blockbusters
Men in Black 3 (in 3D)

JUNE
Snow White and the Huntsman
Madagascar 3
Prometheus (in 3D)
Rock of Ages - on the fence, but wife was metalhead (more than me) so we might see it together
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (in 3D)
Pixar's Brave (in 3D)
G.I. Joe: Retaliation

JULY
The Amazing Spider-Man (in 3D)
Ice Age: Continental Drift (in 3D)
The Dark Knight Rises

AUGUST
The Bourne Legacy
Total Recall
The Expendables 2
ParaNorman
7500 - maybe

SEPTEMBER
Dredd (in 3D)
Hotel Transylvania
Looper
Trouble with the Curve - I like sport movies even though many are similar.

OCTOBER
Frankenweenie (in 3D)
Taken 2
Parker - I beleive this is based on the Westlake novels.

NOVEMBER
Red Dawn
Wreck-It Ralph (in 3D)
Skyfall
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 - wife will make me go.
47 Ronin (in 3D)
Gravity (in 3D)

DECEMBER
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (in 3D)
World War Z
Django Unchained
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Feb 2012 21:28 #115448 by Black Barney
wow, what a great reply from Zman! I smell a fellow lover of movies.

Repo, what's JOHN CARTER OF MARS? I haven't heard of it and I really dig Sci-fi. I put TOTAL RECALL on my list, isn't that the same thing?

/runs

Zman, Ghost Rider?! UGH
Doesn't BULLHEAD look amazing? wow
I don't think I'll get around to CHRONICLE although I'd like to.

What's with all the 3D crap? Man, when will that go away? I HATES it. Taken 2? Did they take his daughter AGAIN?! Man, I'll probably see it too, that's the worst part. I hope he dives out of the way of point blank SMG-fire again. YIPPEE!!

More
06 Feb 2012 21:39 #115452 by Shellhead
I'm only excited about Prometheus and The Hobbit.

More
06 Feb 2012 23:54 #115470 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I am surprised at how I have zero interest in The Dark Knight Rises. I love Nolan and don't think he has ever made a bad movie (The Prestige being by far his weakest and that is still OK), but for some reason my instinct is that it is just yet another superhero movie and I am sick of those. I guess we just had too many superhero movies last year.

More
07 Feb 2012 00:32 #115473 by Shellhead

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I am surprised at how I have zero interest in The Dark Knight Rises. I love Nolan and don't think he has ever made a bad movie (The Prestige being by far his weakest and that is still OK), but for some reason my instinct is that it is just yet another superhero movie and I am sick of those. I guess we just had too many superhero movies last year.

I like Nolan's movies but I don't love them. I feel like everything he has done after Memento could stand to lose another half hour on the cutting room floor. Not because that extra material sucks, but because the additional complexity tends to water down the power of the main story.

More
07 Feb 2012 00:41 #115475 by jeb
No BRAVE, Barney? The fuck, man!? I see about two movies a year in the theater. This will be one of them.

I might sneak out to see PROMETHEUS. Depends how many nerds I can get to go with me from work. Everything else will have to wait.

More
07 Feb 2012 02:13 - 07 Feb 2012 02:13 #115486 by ZMan

Black Barney wrote: wow, what a great reply from Zman! I smell a fellow lover of movies.

***You do not know the half of it. I've been going to the movies since I was a wee lad. And many times I have gone myself. For a few years there was am ovie theater around the corner from where I lived and I believe movies were $.75. Even at that price I was limited since I had maybe an allowance of $.25 per week.

And I watch a lot of films on television. Way before cable came into the picture and even then it was HBO and WHT (Wometco Home Theater).

I love films. You should be able to tell cause it is the subject on which I have posted more about and had the longest text in a post.

Black Barney wrote: Zman, Ghost Rider?! UGH

******comic book movies appeal to my inner 12 year old, which is 'splodin' with joy at seeing childhood hobbies come to the big screen. I even liked Daredevil (but Elektra still sucked, though I like the tattoo guy's abilities).

Black Barney wrote: Doesn't BULLHEAD look amazing? wow
I don't think I'll get around to CHRONICLE although I'd like to.

*****Bullhead took me by surprise. We'll see if it pans out to something great. The trailers for Chronicle look good and it seems to offer a cool take on the people-with-powers genre.

Black Barney wrote: What's with all the 3D crap? Man, when will that go away? I HATES it. Taken 2? Did they take his daughter AGAIN?! Man, I'll probably see it too, that's the worst part. I hope he dives out of the way of point blank SMG-fire again. YIPPEE!!

******I don't care for the 3-D much, but I'll see things in 2-D or 3-D - whatever showtimes work best for me. When you saw the 3D next to the film name, it didn't mean I had to see it in 3-D - I just cut and pasted a release schedule I saw and didn't want to do that much editing.

3-D is distracting until you forget about it and the movie is what it is. The only reminder is the fit of the glasses: too heavy, bulky, then it is annoying. If the glasses fit nicely, then the 3D aspect is forgotten.

3D was interesting when it was a one-off ever few years: Metalstorm, Jaws 3D, Treasure of the Crowns (or something like that). When they made it really obvious that you were watching in 3D by having arrows shooting at you, hands reaching for you, etc. Nowadays, you get to see depth in the scene, but to me it becomes seemless and thus loses its effectiveness cause I'm just watching a movie - I know it is not real life and I do not feel like I'm there.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2012 02:13 by ZMan.

More
07 Feb 2012 02:16 #115488 by Mr. White
I will see John Carter and the Hobbit in the theater. Everything else on video.

What's the rating on John Carter? PG?

And about TPM in 3-D. My son has yet to see a star wars movie, so I'm considering taking him out to see this. I think he'd enjoy the experience.

More
07 Feb 2012 04:20 #115496 by KingPut
I only get to movie theater about 8-9 times a year and most of the time I'm with my spawns.

Can't Fraking wait to see:
The Dark Knight Rises

Take Spawns to:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (in 3D) - Take older spawn to
The Avengers (in 3D) - Take older spawn to
Snow White and the Huntsman - Take spawns to
Madagascar 3 - Take younger spawn to
Pixar's Brave (in 3D) - Take spawns to
21 Jump Street - Maybe I'll take the wife to

Wait to watch at home:
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
John Carter
The Hunger Games
The Three Stooges
The Dictator
Battleship
Men in Black 3 (in 3D)
G.I. Joe: Retaliation
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Bourne Legacy
World War Z

More
07 Feb 2012 17:06 #115541 by Black Barney
Battleship AT HOME?!? Man, the only way to see that (if you have to) is in theatres. It's the only way it'll have any impact. Same with World War Z I think. You're right that Dictator will be better at home.

Jebby, BRAVE is the best movie poster I've seen in a while. I didn't put it on my list cuz I know nothing about it. But the movie poster is GREAT

More
07 Feb 2012 17:16 #115543 by Msample
BATTLESHIP looks REALLY bad . Like Michael Bay bad.

One movie nobody has mentioned is ACT OF VALOR, due out this month. It could suck, but the interesting thing about it as that the main characters are not actors but active duty special ops soldiers. The trailers look a bit cliche, but I am hopeful.

More
07 Feb 2012 19:10 #115548 by Sagrilarus
I'll see John Carter with the boys then split a 6 pound milkshake with them afterwards. This will be a bonding moment.

S.

More
08 Feb 2012 14:20 #115600 by Mr. White
What's the status on Rodriguez's live action Fire and Ice remake?

And I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think The Rock would make a good Darkwolf...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds