October 09, 2023
2677 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2851 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Conan Remake

More
01 Mar 2010 00:00 #56669 by username
Conan Remake was created by username
www.imdb.com/title/tt0816462/

I saw earlier tonight they are remaking Conan.

My questions are:

how much can this possibly suck?

and

how much are those of us that grew up on the old one going to hate it and bitch about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2010 00:59 #56670 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:Conan Remake
My immediate answers would be.

It is going to suck big monkey balls.

and

Very much.

Other than milking the Conan teet, my question is why? There are so many other good fantasy novels out there that could deserve some motion picture love but yet they have to go to the same wells.

More
01 Mar 2010 01:08 #56671 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:Conan Remake
I'm willing to hold out hope for this. The first Conan movie was increible but part two sucked balls. The thing is though that neither of them really capture the character form the original stories and it would be cool if they did that right. It could also give fantasy a good shot in the arm if it's good and encourage people to look at fantasy beyond the LOTR universe, which is a much more pretentious, high magic world then the Sword and Socerey world that Conan inhabits.

I hope they make him hairy though, I've seen pictures of the guy they chose for the lead and he is a hairless model type dude... I want a gruff hairy barbarian. I'm thinking it would be cool if they found someone who looks rough around the edges like the dude in the Lone Wolf and Cub movies... now that was great casting!

More
01 Mar 2010 02:17 #56672 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re:Conan Remake
Mr MOTO wrote:

It is going to suck big monkey balls.

and

Very much.

QFT

More
01 Mar 2010 09:34 #56683 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Conan Remake
If it is a story written by Howard, it has a chance. If it's written by someone else in the "Howard" style. It'll suck.

More
01 Mar 2010 12:25 #56695 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re:Conan Remake
Can't be much worse than the D&D movie, so I'll at least go see it.

I'm looking forward to some embarrassing moments though when casual friends are all like "hey, aren't you way into fantasy, that Conan movie is a real sack of dicks you weirdo."

More
01 Mar 2010 12:46 #56698 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Conan Remake
MattLoter wrote:

Can't be much worse than the D&D movie, so I'll at least go see it.

I'm looking forward to some embarrassing moments though when casual friends are all like "hey, aren't you way into fantasy, that Conan movie is a real sack of dicks you weirdo."

I was working for my dad's construction company when the first Conan movie came out. I was only 16, but I lied about my age to get a union card. And I told the guys that I was getting rides to and from work from my dad because I had a DWI. Anyway, I was very surprised that every single redneck on that work crew saw Conan on opening weekend. They had a very lively discussion about it over lunch the following Monday, but the general consensus was that they all liked it.

More
01 Mar 2010 13:33 #56702 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Conan Remake
I'm an optomist. Hopefully Conan will be entertaining enough to make more.

Steve"What is best in life? Destroy your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women"Avery

More
01 Mar 2010 13:38 #56704 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Conan Remake
I hope they'll cast Jack Black.

More
01 Mar 2010 14:05 #56712 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Conan Remake
Here's my vote of no confidence. The director attached to it is Marcus Nispel, who's made nothing but absolute shit. His entire career is like a mountain of shit, which he sits atop and peers down over Hollywood. The TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE remake, for example. And PATHFINDER, which was actually unwatchable.

Apparently Conan has been cast, it's some dude that was in Baywatch and Stargate.

Genre film is just about the most creatively bankrupt form of entertainment out there today. There are outliers, but by and large, genre films more and more are overstylized garbage with no real sense of imagination or wonder. All the creative teams that WOULD have been working in film in the 1970s and 1980s are now working in video games- which is why games at this point are telling better stories than genre film is.

Odds are this movie will be overstylized and pumped up to ridiculous proportions. I'll look just like 300, and every single frame will be slathered over with digital color correction and fake sets. The trailer will have some pumped up nu-metal shit in it, and probably lots of slow motion.

I honestly don't give a fucking shit about this, and I love Conan. The first film stands as the best cinema example of the stories, for better or worse.

More
01 Mar 2010 14:13 #56717 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Conan Remake
Michael Barnes wrote:

Odds are this movie will be overstylized and pumped up to ridiculous proportions. I'll look just like 300, and every single frame will be slathered over with digital color correction and fake sets. The trailer will have some pumped up nu-metal shit in it, and probably lots of slow motion.

If they do that, it's going to be a hit.

More
01 Mar 2010 17:41 #56732 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Conan Remake
JonJacob wrote:

The thing is though that neither of them really capture the character form the original stories

Why?

More
01 Mar 2010 18:29 #56733 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Conan Remake
Did you see there is a Solomon Kane movie? I watched the trailer and it doesn't look like he fights much evil/monsters. Instead he's cast as a mercenary whose soul has been condemned to hell. Does that sound like the Kane stories? I haven't read any but I got the impression he was a fanatical pilgrim who fights witches and demons.

More
01 Mar 2010 19:03 #56736 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Conan Remake
Michael Barnes wrote:

Here's my vote of no confidence. The director attached to it is Marcus Nispel, who's made nothing but absolute shit. His entire career is like a mountain of shit, which he sits atop and peers down over Hollywood. The TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE remake, for example. And PATHFINDER, which was actually unwatchable.

Apparently Conan has been cast, it's some dude that was in Baywatch and Stargate.

Genre film is just about the most creatively bankrupt form of entertainment out there today. There are outliers, but by and large, genre films more and more are overstylized garbage with no real sense of imagination or wonder. All the creative teams that WOULD have been working in film in the 1970s and 1980s are now working in video games- which is why games at this point are telling better stories than genre film is.

I honestly don't give a fucking shit about this, and I love Conan. The first film stands as the best cinema example of the stories, for better or worse.

Yeah... gotta agree wiht Mike on this one. This has got shitbrick written all over it.

More
01 Mar 2010 22:35 #56744 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re:Conan Remake
metalface13 wrote:

Did you see there is a Solomon Kane movie? I watched the trailer and it doesn't look like he fights much evil/monsters. Instead he's cast as a mercenary whose soul has been condemned to hell. Does that sound like the Kane stories? I haven't read any but I got the impression he was a fanatical pilgrim who fights witches and demons.

Puritan, not pilgrim. Otherwise you're correct. None of the stories have his soul condemned to hell; he just hates evil SO GODDAMNED MUCH THAT IT HAS TO DIE. Which works for me, but I guess not Hollywood.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds