October 09, 2023
2670 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2849 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Conan Remake

More
01 Mar 2010 23:07 #56748 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Conan Remake
Genre film is just about the most creatively bankrupt form of entertainment out there today. There are outliers, but by and large, genre films more and more are overstylized garbage with no real sense of imagination or wonder.

This seems like a pretty jaded sentiment to me. When has this not been the case with genre stuff? I seriously doubt this new movie will be any good, but it'll probably be no worse than The Beastmaster, Red Sonja, Krull, or Masters of the Universe. The crap has always outnumbered the good stuff with these kinds of films.

All the creative teams that WOULD have been working in film in the 1970s and 1980s are now working in video games- which is why games at this point are telling better stories than genre film is.

This based on any sort of evidence, or are you just making an assumption here? I think games are telling stories better, but I'm not sure they're telling better stories. Maybe I'm missing all these awesome video game scripts with great writing, but from where I'm sitting, they're still telling basically the same stories movies and games have been for a while now. The only real difference now is that the graphics allow a greater sense of immersion, which I suppose allows you to empathize more with your protagonist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2010 23:30 #56751 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re:Conan Remake
The more I'm thinking about this the more bummed I am that it's gonna suck balls. I looked up the dude playing Conan and I am hopeful he's at least good cause he's playing Kahl Drogo in the Song of Ice and Fire miniseries.

Anyone remember the Crown of Iron? That was getting tossed around like maybe 10 years ago with Conan being kinda older and still played by Arnold and him after he became a king and such? It seemed like that could have been awesome given what I remember of the story and who was involved. I think AICN was all over it at the time.

More
02 Mar 2010 09:10 #56762 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Conan Remake
MattLoter wrote:

The more I'm thinking about this the more bummed I am that it's gonna suck balls. I looked up the dude playing Conan and I am hopeful he's at least good cause he's playing Kahl Drogo in the Song of Ice and Fire miniseries.

While I think Jason Momoa is a pretty cool actor, and would play a cool Kahl. When I picture Conan(with jet black hair and blue on blue eyes man of the north) I don't picture him as the archetypal Celtic looking Cimmerian. Maybe Hyrkanian, like Bartatua.

More
02 Mar 2010 13:06 #56773 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Conan Remake
To satisfy modern audiences, the new Conan, after getting his family killed, will first of all go off and cry a little and after that dye his hair black and buy a striped T-shirt. They can keep the part about growing up as a slave in a crude and brutal society, because everyone can sympathize with that, especially spoilt white middle-class teenagers. Upon meeting the red-haired woman, Conan will at first be too shy to talk to her, but they'll exchange chastity rings after all. Conan won't be wielding a greatsword but a katana and he will use it not against cultist praying to some serpent god but against Al-Qaeda. His sidekick will have to be black.

More
02 Mar 2010 15:18 #56784 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Conan Remake
Schweig! wrote:

To satisfy modern audiences, the new Conan, after getting his family killed, will first of all go off and cry a little and after that dye his hair black and buy a striped T-shirt. They can keep the part about growing up as a slave in a crude and brutal society, because everyone can sympathize with that, especially spoilt white middle-class teenagers. Upon meeting the red-haired woman, Conan will at first be too shy to talk to her, but they'll exchange chastity rings after all. Conan won't be wielding a greatsword but a katana and he will use it not against cultist praying to some serpent god but against Al-Qaeda. His sidekick will have to be black.

Holy crap! I smell some Academy Awards!

More
02 Mar 2010 19:05 #56809 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Conan Remake
The perfect Conan movie has already been made. Who cares about this?
No one in hollywood today compares to Millius, so I can't see anyone making a better conan flick.

More
03 Mar 2010 14:01 #56904 by ZMan
Replied by ZMan on topic Re:Conan Remake
I love the Conan stories but none of the movies were good. I remember seeing the original and at nearly the same time, Lee Horsely in The Sword and the Sorcerer: and the latter film was far more entertaining. Not as quotable as the Conan film, but certainly more fun.

I actually like the 2nd Conan film a little better cause it had some magic involved, a battle with some cool enemies including a wakened god. Hey, and they used a little Rogues in the House storyline.

Still, I look forward to this. (But I look more forward to John Carter of Mars).
Zev

More
03 Mar 2010 14:16 #56909 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Conan Remake
Leave it to Zev to bring back THE SWORD AND THE SORCEROR! I saw that when I was little in the theater...MAN ALIVE, what a cool movie. There's a freaking FOUR BLADED SWORD in it.

I liked it because it was really pretty dark, kind of more Frazetta than Howard. Cheaply made, unfortunately, but a good S&S flick. Makes a good double feature with THE BEASTMASTER or KRULL.

More
03 Mar 2010 14:50 #56916 by Chapel
Michael Barnes wrote:

There's a freaking FOUR BLADED SWORD in it.

Four bladed ROCKET sword....important detail. ;)

More
03 Mar 2010 14:51 #56917 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Conan Remake

Still, I look forward to this. (But I look more forward to John Carter of Mars).
Zev

So thats 2 for

and how many against?

You guys are just hat3rs!
Steve"strapped to the tree of WOE"Avery

More
03 Mar 2010 14:52 #56918 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:Conan Remake
Another crappy old S&S movie we rented back in the 80's was The Archer. Don't remember much about it, except that it ended on a "we're planning a sequel" note because they didn't kill the big baddie. I never hear anyone talk about this one anyways, so it's probably best forgotten.

More
03 Mar 2010 15:03 #56921 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re:Conan Remake
John Carter of Mars - wasn't there an old SPI game based on that ?

One of the earliest AT games I ever played was the old Buck Rogers game. Not bad for its day IIRC, it probably wouldn't hold up well nowadays.

More
03 Mar 2010 15:05 - 03 Mar 2010 15:16 #56923 by Chapel
Sound like we need a comprehensive list. 80's fantasical wonderment.

Conan The Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Red Sonja
Clash of the Titans
Labyrinth
Return to OZ
Sword and the Sorcerer
Krull
Legend
Dragonslayer
Dark Crystal
Beastmaster
Erik the Viking
Highlander
Willow
Excalibur
Time Bandits
Baron Munchhausen
Never Ending Story
Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Fire and Ice
The Black Cauldron
The Flight of Dragons
The Last Unicorn

Then it get gross at this point.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2010 15:16 by Chapel.

More
03 Mar 2010 15:18 #56926 by Chapel
MWChapel wrote:

Sound like we need a comprehensive list. 80's fantasical wonderment.

Conan The Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Red Sonja
Clash of the Titans
Labyrinth
Return to OZ
Sword and the Sorcerer
Krull
Legend
Dragonslayer
Dark Crystal
Beastmaster
Erik the Viking
Highlander
Willow
Excalibur
Time Bandits
Baron Munchhausen
Never Ending Story
Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Fire and Ice
The Black Cauldron
The Flight of Dragons
The Last Unicorn
Heavy Metal

Then it get gross at this point.

More
03 Mar 2010 15:29 #56928 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Conan Remake
Where is IRONMASTER? How about BARBARIAN QUEEN? No love for HAWK THE SLAYER or ATOR THE FIGHTING EAGLE? I can't help but notice that YOR, THE HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE is also missing, as well as BARBARIANS, directed by Ruggero "CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST" Deodato. And CONQUEST, directed by Lucio Fulci.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds