October 09, 2023
2800 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2939 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen...

More
14 Oct 2010 05:21 #76639 by Hex Sinister
mikoyan wrote:

A very close second for me would have to be the Mars movie with Gary Sinise, Tim Robbins and a few others.

Wow that was dumb. Makes you want to gag. Somebody please make some good SF in the coming decade.

At least remakes of shit series seem on the decline. Because they've done them all already.
Studio Vulture says: "FUCK THAT! LET'S MAKE A NEW SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN STARRING NICOLAS CAGE!!!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2010 06:22 #76642 by Bullwinkle
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Battlefield Earth would be up there. What a fucking dismal piece of shit.
PLACE THE CAMERA FLAT YOU IDIOT!

One of my favourite movie review quotes is about this, by Roger Ebert: "The director, Roger Christian, has learned from better films that directors sometimes tilt their cameras, but he has not learned why."

More
14 Oct 2010 08:25 #76651 by scissors
Battlefield Earth.

Saw it for a laugh on DVD but it was too shitty to even laugh at.

I think it easily qualifies as one of the worst films ever.

Saving Private Ryan? Schindler's List?

Comparing them to Leni Riefenstahl or Goebbels' commissioned propaganda?? Come the fuck on, man.

Yeah, we all know technically Leni Riefenstahl was 'great' - so, you've taken film history 101. Hurrah.

There were 'maudlin' moments in both SPR (the grave scene with the superimposed face or flag or aging or whatever it was - and the near ending of SL was overdone (I could have saved another, etc.) but as a whole they were both pretty fucking decent pictures. They are important, whether or not they appeal to your aesthetic sensibilities and it's irrelevent that Speilberg made ET and dino movies before.

And, most films on some level are fucking entertainment. Some are also art.

Bad movies: reserve that for Clint Eastwood's films with the orangutan or the live action Scooby Doo or a million student films poorly copying Jim Jarmusch.

More
14 Oct 2010 09:41 #76658 by Chapel
Funny, as someone who read Battlefield Earth(as well as all the mission earth series)I actually kind of enjoyed the movie. Sure it had some gaping plot holes, but it was enjoyable to watch.

More
14 Oct 2010 15:23 #76695 by schlupp
I wonder what makes a movie like Battlefield Earth so bad that it is hated by (almost) everyone, while other movies also tank (Showgirls, Rocky Horror Picture Show, etc.), but gather a cult following over time and are in general enjoyable and funny with the right mindset (i.e. when you're drunk and watch it with other people).

In other words, why is Battlefield Earth not so bad that it is good again? Will it become a cult movie in 20 years, with people laughing their asses off, because it is so ridiculous?

More
14 Oct 2010 15:56 #76703 by Black Barney
ahhhhhhhh! Updated Scissors avatar!?!? Xmas came early.

WIN WIN WIN

More
14 Oct 2010 15:59 - 14 Oct 2010 16:07 #76704 by Chapel
scissors wrote:

Bad movies: reserve that for Clint Eastwood's films with the orangutan

I have to hate you now.

//Right hook clyde!
Last edit: 14 Oct 2010 16:07 by Chapel.

More
14 Oct 2010 17:03 #76707 by jay718
Schlupp wrote:

I wonder what makes a movie like Battlefield Earth so bad that it is hated by (almost) everyone, while other movies also tank (Showgirls, Rocky Horror Picture Show, etc.), but gather a cult following over time and are in general enjoyable and funny with the right mindset (i.e. when you're drunk and watch it with other people). quote]

It already has a cult following. They're called Scientologists.

More
14 Oct 2010 17:03 #76708 by Mr Skeletor
Schlupp wrote:

I wonder what makes a movie like Battlefield Earth so bad that it is hated by (almost) everyone, while other movies also tank (Showgirls, Rocky Horror Picture Show, etc.), but gather a cult following over time and are in general enjoyable and funny with the right mindset (i.e. when you're drunk and watch it with other people).

In other words, why is Battlefield Earth not so bad that it is good again? Will it become a cult movie in 20 years, with people laughing their asses off, because it is so ridiculous?

Battlefield Earth will not become a cult classic. Showgirls and Rocky Horror are fun to watch. They are quoteable. They have WTF scenes.
Battlefield Earth is just downright boring above all else.

More
14 Oct 2010 17:07 - 14 Oct 2010 17:08 #76710 by Not Sure
Schlupp wrote:

Uh, Battlefield Earth is a cult movie, but not in the good sense.

Also, anyone who disavows "Every Which Way But Loose" is dead to me. I'm with Chapel there.

edit: Damn, Jay beat me to it...
Last edit: 14 Oct 2010 17:08 by Not Sure.

More
14 Oct 2010 18:20 #76717 by scissors
Okay,okay!!! I'll give the orangutan another chance... but only if 'the dead to me' meme is used on the Fortress less than ten times a day. That fucking meme has far too much space here, it almost makes me want to answer 'it burns ussss...'

The great Eastwood films (for me) are still the Leone westerns and that's all there is to it.

More
14 Oct 2010 18:52 #76718 by Mr Skeletor
scissors wrote:

Okay,okay!!! I'll give the orangutan another chance... but only if 'the dead to me' meme is used on the Fortress less than ten times a day. That fucking meme has far too much space here, it almost makes me want to answer 'it burns ussss...'

The great Eastwood films (for me) are still the Leone westerns and that's all there is to it.

You don't dig Gan Torino & Million $ Baby? In the Line of Fire? Dirty fuckin harry?

You are Catle Ravenloft to me.

More
14 Oct 2010 20:25 #76723 by Not Sure
Huh, is "dead to me" in heavy rotation? I don't remember using it anytime recently, but maybe it burbled to the top of my brain because I'd read it in another thread.

"Every Which Way But Loose" is a fine film in the 70s urban redneck genre. I haven't seen the sequel in a lot of years, but I don't recall it being all that good, or being horrible. The first one is good despite being a movie with a monkey, because the monkey is sort of an incidental character. Like the bikers, with the same sort of teeth.

I mean, if you're going to play WTFisTHAT? with Clint Eastwood, I'd put "Paint Your Wagon" at the front of the line (although I love that weirdass musical western farce as well...)

More
14 Oct 2010 22:30 #76732 by scissors
Cattle Ravenloft. Million Dollar Baby was great. Never saw Gran Torino. Dirty harry - saw thr first one again a while ago,no problem there.

Yeh, as for EWWBL - a whoppin' 33 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds