October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Reccommend a TV Series that is curently on Netflix Streaming

More
07 Jun 2011 13:37 #97541 by ubarose
The great thing about Netflix streaming is that we can watch an entire season of a series in a few weeks. The bad thing is that we run through them and have then have to wait about a year for the next season.

We usually have a couple of TV series in our queue. On week nights we usually watch one episode of one of them. We just finished Doctor Who season 5, and are flailing around for what to watch next.

We have Life on Mars in our disk queue, but have to wait for those to ship. We checked out the American version of Life on Mars on streaming, but were not impressed. We are also working our way through Farscape.

We tried out The Tudors last night based on KingPut's recommendation. I liked it, but the Man was less enthused. I was thinking of re-starting Tourchwood where we left off (can't remember which season), but the Man disliked the sentimental turn the plots started to take at the point we left off.

So any recommendations of what's good that is currently on streaming. We don't have cable so, other than what's mentioned above and Spartacus, we have pretty much missed everything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2011 13:42 #97543 by san il defanso
Some shows that I've watched through on Netflix (many of them network shows)

- Parks and Recreation
- Arrested Development
- Doctor Who (which you've seen, and is awesome)

I saw Lost and BSG on DVD, but they are also on Instant Watch in their entirety. I liked both of those a whole lot.

More
07 Jun 2011 14:12 - 07 Jun 2011 14:52 #97544 by Ska_baron
Awesome! This is quite timely as it seems this is the month my wife and I ditch satellite in favor of a Roku (so programing primarially though Nextflix and Hulu).

*staying tuned*

EDIT- Oh! and I was very happy to see some MST3K on streaming - always worth rewatching!
Last edit: 07 Jun 2011 14:52 by Ska_baron.

More
07 Jun 2011 14:44 #97549 by Egg Shen
I'm just browsing the instant watch stuff on their website and this is what I'd check out:

24 - I never got into this, but enough people swear by it that it might be worth checking out.

Firefly - Joss Whedon's Space/Western that was cancelled after 1 season. This has a rabid following amongst geeks and with only 14 episodes should be easy to cruise through.

X-Files - Sure everyone's prob seen this already, but being able to stream every episode of this is pretty sweet. Great show...they certainly don't make em like this anymore.

Californication - I've seen a few episodes of this at my friends house...I don't get Showtime and didn't realize this was on netflix. I'll be checking this out.

Ren & Stimpy - Hahaha...just noticed this on instant stream. Absolutely classic and worth checking out for adults. Such a twisted show I can't believe I watched this as a kid.

Dark Shadows - Just noticed this as well... I might dabble in this as I'm interested in the Tim Burton movie coming out next year.

Chuck - This isn't instant streaming, but its very much worth your time. One of the only shows I actually watch on TV. Great characters, interesting plot and plenty of nerd culture references.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:13 #97556 by jeb
My sister swears DEXTER is the best thing that ever happened. Me, not so much, but the title sequence is one of the best ever made.

If FIREFLY is on there, watch that--it was pretty good. And has the worst title sequence ever. Irony.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA's first 2.5 seasons were good TV.

PARKS AND RECREATION is a fucking gem. "Go DJ Roomba!"

THE TWILIGHT ZONE, duh. The reason they don't make shows like this anymore is because THE TWILIGHT ZONE puts them all to shame.

RENO 911! is pretty funny.

TWIN PEAKS.

I heard season one of PRISON BREAK was good, but I haven't seen any of that yet.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:16 #97558 by ubarose

Ska_baron wrote: Awesome! This is quite timely as it seems this is the month my wife and I ditch satellite in favor of a Roku (so programing primarially though Nextflix and Hulu).

*staying tuned*

EDIT- Oh! and I was very happy to see some MST3K on streaming - always worth rewatching!

The Man used to watch the news in the morning and would always start the day off swearing and angry. Now he watches a little MST3K in the morning and starts the day off laughing.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:28 #97560 by TheDukester
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
07 Jun 2011 15:32 #97562 by MattFantastic
Other than stuff already mentioned, I'd say that you two will love Weeds. Show totally rules.

If you like British sketch stuff, That Mitchel and Webb Look is awesome.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:43 #97564 by 433
There's a British series called Spooks (in the UK) and MI-5 (in the US) that's really good. It can be a bit of a soap opera at times, but there are lots of good twisty espionage plots going on. I think there are about 80 episodes total. It's on Netflix Instant Streaming.

This may be considered a SPOILER, so tread carefully:

A big part of why I like it is that they don't have any problem killing off likable main characters.

More
07 Jun 2011 15:45 #97565 by Kham
Registered just to reply. Howdy all. The wife and I watch a ton of TV on Netflix, here are some good finds. As you can see, we are a bit Anglophiley.

THE CATHERINE TATE SHOW Loved her on Doctor Who, this is brutally funny sketch comedy.

MORIBITO Not necessarily an anime fan, but this is real good. The theme song is priceless.

CREATURE COMFORTS AMERICA Did not know this was made until it showed up on Netflix. Aardman.

SHERLOCK HOLMES With Jeremy Brett; the production itself is not always up to snuff, but Brett's Holmes is my hands down favorite interpretation.

A TOUCH OF FROST Police drama; less over the top than much of ours, more believable IMO.

THAT MITCHELL AND WEBB LOOK Just funny.

Second Twin Peaks, Farscape etc. Also, the Tick.

Also lots of amazing classic complete Britcoms - Black Adder, Yes Minister, Hitchhiker's Guide, Red Dwarf

More
07 Jun 2011 15:46 #97566 by san il defanso
Oh, and how could I forget? Futurama is available in its entirety on Instant Watch. Definitely everyone should watch that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
07 Jun 2011 15:50 #97567 by jeb
Even if you only ever watch the Slurm episode, watch the Slurm episode. S1E13 I think.

More
07 Jun 2011 17:01 - 07 Jun 2011 17:04 #97577 by Bulwyf
I use my Wii all the time. For Netflix that is...

Here's some shows I've caught that I thought were worthwhile:

That 70's Show - Always brings a smile to my face. Eric's parents steal the show.

Sherlock - A 3 part BBC mini-series that reimages Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson in modern London. Totally worth a look

Hikaru No Go - Im not a huge anime fan but this story I really enjoyed. It almost made me want to go play Go.

Sons of Anarchy - Sopranos in CA with bikes. My wife calls it a "Soap Opera for Guys".

Satisfaction - A Showtime Australia show dealing with the ladies who work at a brothel. The wife and I are 3 episodes in and so far it's been interesting.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2011 17:04 by Bulwyf.

More
07 Jun 2011 17:19 #97579 by SGT Dave
Here's 10:

1) Twin Peaks

2) Legend of the Seeker

3) Greatest American Hero

4) Kolchak: the Night Stalker

5) Buck Rogers

6) Farscape, Farscape and more Farscape

7) Samurai 7

8) Deadliest Warrior

9) Important Things with Demetri Martin

10) Reaper

I usually stream on PS3 (now that it's working again). But lately it's been on the laptop in a hotel room in China.

More
07 Jun 2011 18:12 #97585 by Dr. Mabuse
Netflix made it's way to Canada late last year but we only have a small fraction of what you 'Mericans get.

What is this "instant watch" you all are referring to? We have a list of titles

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds