October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Good podcasts, not "family friendly?"

More
07 May 2012 01:24 #124700 by Nagajur
I have a very long daily commute. I love boardgame podcasts. What I don't love is all the self-control BS some put in to make their podcast "family friendly." What sick-o family sits around and listens to board game podcasts? Fatcast, I love you, even though it sometimes veers into indulgence in my head. However, that's probably how you guys are in real life, so I crave the next episode. I also really love "The Messy Gameroom." Are there any others just have a normal conversation with normal banter without restraint? I've sampled about 5-10 others and at some point there is "sillyness" around the fact that someone almost swore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2012 04:03 #124704 by jeb
Gamers with Jobs with OK. Only a small segment on boardgames, more of a console, PC focus, but good none the less. This and FATCast are the only gaming podcasts I listen too--everything else is obnoxious.

More
07 May 2012 11:03 #124713 by SuperflyPete
GMS Magazine's podcast is the exact same as you describe. They asked me to do a segment, then they "apologized" for not using it because it wasn't "family friendly".

I was like, "are you fucking serious? What did you expect from me?"

I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't actually swear. I even know a good amount of them. I just find that the hardest people to medically identify a pulse are those same people, and they have no business attempting to entertain.

More
07 May 2012 13:14 #124723 by tomvasel
So you must swear to properly entertain?

There's no restraint on my part, folks - I don't swear in real life, same as on the podcast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl, Ryan B.

More
07 May 2012 13:29 #124725 by hotseatgames
It does seem that the norm for a boardgame podcast is to be family friendly, while the norm for a videogame podcast is the opposite. I can appreciate both, and I assure you Tom, you don't need to swear to entertain. You come across as a genuinely nice person and while I admit I fast-forward through most of your contributor segments, I never fast-forward yours.

More
07 May 2012 13:30 #124726 by san il defanso
It's not like people who don't swear (like Tom and myself) spend their lives frustrated and incapable of expressing ourselves. It's just a habit we never got into. I know for my own part, I work with a lot of fairly conservative churches and Christian organizations. Swearing is something I don't particularly mind in other people, but it's not something I exercise on my own because it would just make my life more difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ryan B.

More
07 May 2012 13:34 #124727 by DukeofChutney
i listen to quite a few gaming podcasts, but mostly just to have some background talking about a topic im at least semi interested in whilst i work. The Fatcast provides higher entertainment values than many of the others but there's room for variety. Boardgaming, at least by tradition is a fairly family orientated hobby. So family orientated podcasts makes sense, although it does surprise me that families actually listen. I suspect its more a case of one person in the family listening and not wanting the kids to over hear.

More
07 May 2012 14:29 #124736 by Space Ghost
My mom always said "People who swear just don't know how to express themselves more intelligently"
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl, Ryan B.

More
07 May 2012 14:30 #124737 by red black
I don't get the appeal of The Messy Gameroom. As far as I'm concerned they owe me a half hour of my life back.

More
07 May 2012 15:26 #124743 by Chapel
Even the originator of the talk shock jock Howard Stern when he moved to satellite lauded the fact that he could use the language he wanted to. And even he stated that he only wanted to use cuss words only very conservatively. And beyond the occasional f-bombs you will hardly hear much expletives on the Howard Stern show. So there is a chasm of difference in not using them, and using them just to do so to entertain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
07 May 2012 15:52 - 07 May 2012 15:56 #124750 by SuperflyPete
To me, the problem is not that they don't curse/swear/make oaths, the point is that the shows are just unbearably dull.

It's as if guys who are knowledgeable about boardgames think that somehow simply because they're knowledgeable they are automatically able to confer their knowledge in a listenable way.

I tried some podcasts just to see what the deal was. They're all boring. Every last one of them. FATCast isn't a boardgame podcast, it's more of a talk show done in a bar where the people talk about nerdy shit. That's clearly why it's entertaining.

I've only listened to one of Tom's, and while he has personality to pull it off, the segments are really dull. There's just no life in them. The reason his videos work is that you can SEE his excitement. It's tangible, and he's a Steve Martin kind of guy where his facial expressions and gestures kind of make the show. The inverse is the reason why Jeremy "Drakkenstrike" Salinas and his bullshit "Unboxings" would be appropriate to torture Guantanimo detainees with; everyone who knows him is like "oh no, he's cool IRL" but his video make him out to be a highly sedated version of Ben Stein.

Some people aren't cut out to entertain, and those that are, are not cut out for certain forms of entertainment medium.

That said, some people are George Carlin/Richard Pryor kind of guys, some people are Bill Engvall/Bill Cosby kind of guys.
Last edit: 07 May 2012 15:56 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
07 May 2012 17:30 #124761 by jeb
For me and for the OP (I think), it's not the lack-of-swearing that's obnoxious. I don't craaaaave someone saying "shitty fuck tits" in my ear all morning. But I don't like podcasters to fall all over themselves tittering and giggling when someone almost swears. It's juvenile. I almost expect them to break into the "HELL-o operator, give me number 9" song. I have similar feelings about podcasters that try to take every opportunity to make an an "it's like he's gay" joke.

The vast VAAAAST majority of podcasts could use an editor. You may have recorded 90+ minutes of material, but that doesn't mean we should listen to all of it. Tighten things up, please.

SIDE NOTE: I went to college with some very conservative ids that would never swear, but they would just make up words in PLACE of swears, which I thought was incredibly asinine. "CHEESE & RICE!" was one I recall. Also: "Garbage rocks and Johnson bears!" Seriously: What the fuck?

The intent is there, and the intent is what as always mattered where I am from (Central Mass). You can use "asshole" as a term of endearment there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
07 May 2012 17:46 #124764 by SuperflyPete
Cheese and Rice is what my sister says. It's ridiculous.

Profane language has its place. Too much "over the top" causes it to lose meaning (which is what is happening in our culture today) and isn't necessary, but like Jeb says....it's not so shameful and disgusting that it is ALWAYS an inappropriate thing to do, and it's not something grown-ass men should giggle about when they "almost" curse, like the FCC is going to come down and fine them.

People are, by and large, fucking idiots.

More
07 May 2012 17:51 #124765 by Erik Twice

Space Ghost wrote: My mom always said "People who swear just don't know how to express themselves more intelligently"

Your mom should read Henry Miller.

Words have a place and an use and swears very much have a place in our vocabulary.

More
07 May 2012 17:55 #124766 by san il defanso

That said, some people are George Carlin/Richard Pryor kind of guys, some people are Bill Engvall/Bill Cosby kind of guys.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds