October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Good podcasts, not "family friendly?"

More
07 May 2012 17:59 - 07 May 2012 18:01 #124768 by Disgustipater

jeb wrote: SIDE NOTE: I went to college with some very conservative ids that would never swear, but they would just make up words in PLACE of swears, which I thought was incredibly asinine. "CHEESE & RICE!" was one I recall. Also: "Garbage rocks and Johnson bears!" Seriously: What the fuck?

The intent is there, and the intent is what as always mattered where I am from (Central Mass). You can use "asshole" as a term of endearment there.

Relevant (contains profanity, obviously)

Part 2
Last edit: 07 May 2012 18:01 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., billyz, ZMeston, stormseeker75, SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2012 20:46 #124774 by Space Ghost

Erik Twice wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: My mom always said "People who swear just don't know how to express themselves more intelligently"

Your mom should read Henry Miller.

Words have a place and an use and swears very much have a place in our vocabulary.

I don't disagree -- I think that is just what parents say to keep kids from cussing. Although everybody I knew could cuss the wallpaper off the wall in 5th grade.

More
07 May 2012 21:20 #124779 by MattFantastic
On the FATCast I just talk like I always talk. I curse a lot and boner jokes make me laugh.

The FATCast is about Matt and Josh (and Al!). Matt and Josh just happen to be into gaming and comics and other nerdery so that's what we usually talk about. We aim for the show to be us drinking and hanging out while talking about whatever nerdy shit we're up to.

PS: New episode is awesome and should be posted soon!

More
07 May 2012 22:36 #124784 by Nagajur

jeb wrote: For me and for the OP (I think), it's not the lack-of-swearing that's obnoxious. I don't craaaaave someone saying "shitty fuck tits" in my ear all morning. But I don't like podcasters to fall all over themselves tittering and giggling when someone almost swears. It's juvenile. I almost expect them to break into the "HELL-o operator, give me number 9" song. I have similar feelings about podcasters that try to take every opportunity to make an an "it's like he's gay" .

Exactly, I am looking for a natural conversation. It is the teehee i almost swore that drives me crazy. Sometimes it's followed by several obnoxious jokes with a ton of punnery. On the d6generation, the guy actually spelled out s-e-x and p-o-r-n.

More
07 May 2012 22:40 #124785 by DeletedUser
Either or for me, I don't really care. The FATCast makes me laugh, but so does the Dice Tower, D6G and Plaid Hat podcasts. You can be funny or entertaining with or without swearing.

I think there's a time and a place for cussing and I get along best with people who know when to drop an F-bomb and when to put a lid on it.

More
07 May 2012 23:35 #124789 by Msample

Nagajur wrote:

jeb wrote: For me and for the OP (I think), it's not the lack-of-swearing that's obnoxious. I don't craaaaave someone saying "shitty fuck tits" in my ear all morning. But I don't like podcasters to fall all over themselves tittering and giggling when someone almost swears. It's juvenile. I almost expect them to break into the "HELL-o operator, give me number 9" song. I have similar feelings about podcasters that try to take every opportunity to make an an "it's like he's gay" .

Exactly, I am looking for a natural conversation. It is the teehee i almost swore that drives me crazy. Sometimes it's followed by several obnoxious jokes with a ton of punnery. On the d6generation, the guy actually spelled out s-e-x and p-o-r-n.

The D6 podcast is one of the most useless fucking things I have ever listened too. I tried it twice, and couldn't get through an episode either time. WAAAY too much time chuckling among themselves and laughing at their own humor and stuff that anyone who doesn't hang with them would even understand.

More
08 May 2012 01:21 #124800 by Ryan B.
I usually don't swear or curse, but am not totally absolved of it. I think there are all sorts of humor... I think there are some people who don't swear and are funny and entertaining. (ex. Bill Cosby) I also think there are some people who don't swear and are NOT funny and entertaining. And vice versa.

Swearing is one of those timing things. It's an art. Mitch Hedberg, for instance, was great at it. For most of his comedy routine, he was very clean. But then he threw the language in there at just the right points and it was hilarious.

It had impact.

But when someone is talking and like every other word is swearing, for me it quickly becomes crass and equally unentertaining. I almost feel like the person doesn't know how to be funny and so they throw an f-bomb in substitution thinking that will do the trick. It often doesn't.

I just want it to be entertaining in the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: quozl, DeletedUser

More
08 May 2012 02:16 #124805 by Hatchling
I wish I didn't swear. Sometimes an F bomb falls out of my mouth in the most inappropriate situations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, quozl

More
08 May 2012 03:24 #124812 by dysjunct
To get this back on flippin' topic, I like That's How We Roll and the other podcasts by Chris Hanrahan. It has occasional but not gratuitous swears. It is omni-geek, and covers RPGs, minis, and CCGs, in addition to board games. It also has a strong industry focus as Hanrahan owns a game store. For me those are positives but maybe for you they aren't.

More
08 May 2012 14:46 #124842 by SuperflyPete
But is it BORING? That's the cardinal sin of 99.99999999999% of podcasts. They simply aren't entertaining enough to listen to.

I mean, Rush Limbaugh is a twat of the highest magnitude, but the man has a PRESENCE and is really funny. And he doesn't swear. Mike and Mike in the morning is a great radio show...no swearing, but it's all comedy. It's hilarious.

The fact is that with a verbal medium, it has to be entertaining and reasonably well produced, and the overwhelming majority are a bunch of douche-heftybags who prattle on in a completely self-congratulatory manner about boring subject matter. And as someone pointed out, there's so many in-jokes that remain unexplained (and even if they were explained, it wouldn't matter) and other garbage that they are unlistenable.

Like I said before...I like boardgames just fine. Do I want to listen to some fools chattering about them for an hour? Hell no. Not unless there's a REASON to do so, such as the fact that they're likable and the conversation is worth listening to.

More
08 May 2012 23:41 #124886 by Nagajur

dysjunct wrote: To get this back on flippin' topic, I like That's How We Roll and the other podcasts by Chris Hanrahan. It has occasional but not gratuitous swears. It is omni-geek, and covers RPGs, minis, and CCGs, in addition to board games. It also has a strong industry focus as Hanrahan owns a game store. For me those are positives but maybe for you they aren't.

Thanks man. I didn't mean for this to fall into a philosophical debate about cursing or a dis session on podcasts. I like listening to them, I just want more of what I like. I burn through an episode of fatcast one-way into work easily. (they should be four times as long!) I'll check this one out.

More
09 May 2012 03:15 #124897 by engineer Al

SuperflyTNT wrote: FATCast isn't a boardgame podcast, it's more of a talk show done in a bar where the people talk about nerdy shit.

Nice! It's like you read our "Mission Statement". Or maybe wrote it for us.

Nagajur wrote: I burn through an episode of fatcast one-way into work easily. (they should be four times as long!)

Cheese & Rice!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
09 May 2012 16:53 #124963 by cdennett

Nagajur wrote: I like listening to them, I just want more of what I like. I burn through an episode of fatcast one-way into work easily. (they should be four times as long!)

Now I'm wondering what hour four of the FATCast would sound like...

More
09 May 2012 17:59 #124972 by SuperflyPete
A lot of slurring interrupted by hiccups and the muffled sounds of spewage.

More
09 May 2012 18:12 #124974 by ubarose

cdennett wrote:

Nagajur wrote: I like listening to them, I just want more of what I like. I burn through an episode of fatcast one-way into work easily. (they should be four times as long!)

Now I'm wondering what hour four of the FATCast would sound like...

It would sound a lot like the last 20 minutes of the FATCast. It's the two hours worth of stuff in the middle that gets cut that you really don't want to know about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds