October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Nerf: 70fps foam death fun for everyone!

More
21 Jun 2016 10:49 #229168 by Chaz
Back in my Harmonix days, the QA department was armed to the teeth. Virtually every desk had one or two Mavericks, there were a few of those sniper rifles with the bipod, and we had two of the belt fed tripod miniguns. Those things looked cooler than they were. The belt took forever to reload, so you got about four seconds of shooting, then you were done. Seeing someone run through the office dual-wielding them was pretty cool though.

The Mavericks were obviously the best. Fast reloads, use any dart on the floor, and pretty accurate. I even managed to stick a dart square in someone's eyeball from across the room once. It was an accident, but still a really good shot. He was fine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2016 11:24 #229170 by Black Barney
you worked for Harmonix? That company looks like a blast. Was your picture in one of the end credits for one of the games?

More
21 Jun 2016 14:57 #229181 by Chapel
Taking it up a notch.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
21 Jun 2016 18:10 #229190 by Chaz
Yup, I was there for everything after Rock Band 1 up until after Rock Band 3 shipped. I think I started about three weeks before RB1 came out. So yeah, my picture's on the first page of the credits for RB2 and 3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
21 Jun 2016 20:04 #229193 by Black Barney
I've seen you then ! Love those games, bought them all. Your peripherals are poopy tho.

What a cool place to work

More
22 Jun 2016 12:41 #229221 by Chaz
Yeah, it was a good place to be. Right up until the layoffs. I had nothing to do with the peripherals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Jun 2016 09:54 #229258 by Michael Barnes
Now I'm hooked. I picked up a Hammershot and a $10 Stryfe (Target price matched zeal Mart's online price- saved $10). So now the arsenal is:

Hammershot- GREAT single action revolver. Only has five shots, but it shoots at least as well as a Strongarm despite the occasional misfire if you don't prime it quite right. Cool Zombie Strike styling and it fees great in the hand. Hammer is a little too hard for the kids to pull back, but adults can one hand it. No slam fire.

Stryfe- solid flywheel blaster. Pretty much no frills, but so far reliable and more compact than some of the other automatics. It's a little ugly, but you can add stocks/rail stuff to it. Really dumb that it comes with just a six shot magazine.

Slingfire- I LOVE this gun, but it is very iffy. It is a lever action Zombie Strike shotgun. It looks awesome. The problem is that the lever is dependent on this internal gearbox that jams up too easily. When the kids are using it, they will forget to cock it with the full range of motion and it will completely lock up. Range is not great, but it's fun to shoot and it takes any clip.

Rapid Red- wouldn't know- I've bought two and both were DOA lemons. I contacted Nerf, they are sending a replacement.

Strongarm- we've actually had this for a couple of years. It's probably the best one all around, 100% reliable, shoots strong, and looks great. Fun revolver action.

Everfierce- my daughter has to have one with a charm bracelet. It's a decent 4-shot bow, but the air restrictor sometimes pops out an additional dart about five feet. It looks cute, it's fun to shoot, but it's kind of a "only hits on a natural 20" thing.

Demolisher- this one rules. It's chunky and too big, really, but with the banana clip in and the stock off it looks just like a combi-bolter. Flywheel, only 10'shots on the mag, but it also pump-action fires two big, silly missiles from an under slung barrel. That I kind of wish you could optionally remove. But it's sort of our Cadillac blaster, even though the kids kind of struggle with lugging it around.

Had 60+ darts Monday, today we have about half that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
24 Jun 2016 11:59 #229319 by Colorcrayons
The slingfire has a lot of style..
I like clip system guns, but I've found the most practical and fun blasters to be front loading drum systems because they can be reloaded with grounded darts fired at you while still staying in the action.

I bought a rough cut. And its a snazzy little pump action shotgun. Probably my fave sidearm now besides the strongarm. Single or double shot and the pump action is more comfortable and intuitive than top priming blasters. Easy to reload on the fly.

I also bought a cross bolt and cut the bow arrns off so it just looks like a bullpup style blaster instead of a crossbow. It fits a 35 dart clip well if you fire right handed. I tightend the string so much though that I can't use it against the kids. Too powerful. Its my fave looking blaster besides the mastodon, which I also bought and let the kids use against me. Its hilarious seeing the 7 year old heathen spawn wield it. Like a hobbit with a heavy bolter. But he loves that thing. Can't Blane him.

More
24 Jun 2016 12:06 #229322 by Colorcrayons

Chapel wrote: Taking it up a notch.

I love the part of the video playing against the kids, and then the kids flee in wild desperation as one gets a head shot. XD

More
24 Jun 2016 12:21 #229323 by boothwah
You guys think this is all fun and games, right up until it creates the Nerf Wars Terminator.

BONUS POINTS TO BARNEY IF HE WRITES UP A REVIEW ON THIS MASTERPIECE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
24 Jun 2016 16:08 #229332 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I was thinking about the Rough Cut...the Doomlands Vagabond looks like a single action pistol version of the same thing.

I think the next one I get might be the Doomlands Vanguard...it seems sort of uncommon, don't know if it's just because its Target only. Two side mounted magazines, fired two at a time out of double barrels. Totally follows on with he Borderlands style they are going for with those.

I'm also still thinking about the Doominator but I hear mixed things about it. It's really just a massive grenade launcher style revolver.

More
25 Jun 2016 14:07 #229350 by Colorcrayons
Vanguard? The description you give sounds like the new double dealer that looks like an eldar shuriken catapult from the rogue trader days. Its sweet looking.

Thanks for the tip on the stryfes. Went and Bought a couple from target doing the Walmart price match. Cheap flywheel is always good.

More
25 Aug 2016 13:23 #232803 by Colorcrayons
Nerf seems to be transitioning to their new 2016 line. This means huge savings on last years models.

Nerf modulus for $11 (msrp almost $60) and doominator for $19 (msrp almost $40) on clearance from wally world. Kids birthday is in a couple days. Perfect timing.

And I even found a nerf revel atlas (2round burst shotgun) that was just released a couple weeks ago for $5 at goodwill. Works perfect. Everything present. Bought another 12 round clip with 18 rounds at wally world for $5.
Tons of savings right now if you're sharp.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
25 Aug 2016 19:59 #232825 by SuperflyPete
You kids and your war toys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Nov 2016 10:22 #237594 by Mr. White
Not looking to break Santa's bank on this, so what are the top 2-3 guns available?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.529 seconds