October 09, 2023
2841 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2986 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

A GAME OF THRONES gets a video game...

More
18 Jul 2010 13:03 #68630 by Last Alchemist
I've read the books, and I do love them. I am neither a fantasy genre fan, nor a harlequin romance fan. But I find Martin's books very accessible, and quite enjoyable. I enjoy them as the alternate world setting, and honestly I like the backstabbing and conspiracies the most in his books. Another series that is similar is the Kushiel's series of books by Jacqueline Carey.

All that being said, I can see how someone would not enjoy these books. Especially someone who is a huge fan of the fantasy genre, because they are no where near Tolkien, Jordan, or other well thought of writers in the genre.

I would like point out that if the series was not as strong as it is would all of these other very creative companies (HBO, FFG, Green Ronin, etc.) being interested in using the license to develop something in their own product lines? Sure, Martin doesn't always make the best choices in picking who he let's play in his IP, but that is no reason to equate a license holder with the value of the IP.

And honstely, I think popularity of the series should be taken into consideration when discussing the merits of an IP. Martin has only been marketed by his publisher recently. The books started out as 1 of thousands of fantasy books published every year, and had no promotion during the first book. It's popularity grew by word of mouth. The last book was discounted at the highest percentages in the big bookstore chains because they were fighting over the customers looking to purchase the newest book. It has grown to have a loyal following. Something has to be said for a series that is so compelling to so many readers (which turns into sales in the bookstores). The writing may not be perfect, but you can't argue that Martin has made his fans by creating a world that they care about. You may have the best written book of all time, but if it doesn't compel the readers to be interested in it, how much of a success is it really?

I think the pedophile comment had more to do with Martin's appearance (stereotypical pedophile), than with anything he has written.

LA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2010 13:28 #68633 by clockwirk
Last Alchemist wrote:

I think the pedophile comment had more to do with Martin's appearance (stereotypical pedophile), than with anything he has written.

LA

I thought it was the graphic sex scenes involving a 15 year old girl.

More
18 Jul 2010 13:52 #68636 by wolvendancer
clockwirk wrote:

Last Alchemist wrote:

LA

Clearly, fiction writers only write about things they personally approve of. It's the only way it's done. That Shakespeare dude? Complete sicko. Paedophilia, murder, rape, racism, you name it.

More
18 Jul 2010 15:17 #68638 by clockwirk
I wasn't condemning Martin for the scenes. I was just pointing out where I think the "pedophilia" perception comes from.

I actually really enjoy the books and don't understand most of the venom that's thrown against the IP around here.

More
18 Jul 2010 21:03 #68652 by Josh Look
I love the book, but it's not one of those things that totally bewilders me when someone says they don't. It isn't one of those things I can recommend to anyone I know.

That being said, I predict not a change of an opinion, but rather an understanding between those do and those who don't like the book once the HBO series hits (if it's good, that is).

More
18 Jul 2010 21:12 #68653 by Josh Look
Flightmaster wrote:

There are plenty of popular things that I don't like (such as swiss cheese, peppermint, and "Firefly")

Thanks for crushing my dreams, Mr. Petersen. Firefly deserves a board game, and despite my current funk with FFG, I still think you're the guys to do it.

More
18 Jul 2010 22:38 #68658 by Ancient_of_MuMu
clockwirk wrote:

So does 'Snow Crash' and I don't here people claiming that Neal Stephenson is a paedophile.

The only one I thought really tap-danced merrily over that boundary was Arthur C. Clarke in the third and fourth 'Rendezvous with Rama' books when he has an 11 year old girl marry a 70 year old man with the expectation that things will happen soon in the bed, and a 9 year old girl in a woman's body start up a relationship with a grown man.

More
18 Jul 2010 23:18 #68659 by wolvendancer
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

clockwirk wrote:

So does 'Snow Crash' and I don't here people claiming that Neal Stephenson is a paedophile.

The only one I thought really tap-danced merrily over that boundary was Arthur C. Clarke in the third and fourth 'Rendezvous with Rama' books when he has an 11 year old girl marry a 70 year old man with the expectation that things will happen soon in the bed, and a 9 year old girl in a woman's body start up a relationship with a grown man.

You've obviously never read Piers Anthony. The amount of underage sex, curiously-sympathetic paedophiles, and underage girls who have positive relationships with the aforementioned paeds really does begin to strain the bounds of credulity after a bit. Creeeeeeeepy.

More
18 Jul 2010 23:32 #68661 by Ancient_of_MuMu
True. I haven't read Piers Anthony, mainly because I have never heard anything particularly good about him, and only the negatives, such as the aforementioned obsession with sex.

More
19 Jul 2010 12:31 - 19 Jul 2010 12:33 #68696 by generalpf
wolvendancer wrote:

generalpf wrote:

I'm guessing no more free FFG games for Barnes.

I'm guessing (at least, hoping) you are wrong. That would be a silly decision for CP to make based on a disagreement like this.

Well, that and Barnes shreds everything FFG produces these days based seemingly on Barnes' own financial situation. The reviews are also untimely... where's the Horus Heresy review? Why bother writing one at all if it's going to come out months after the game?

If I was a publisher and a reviewer of mine continually showed bias against my products (and I'd like to think for as well) and did not produce a review for each product I sent him, I'd discontinue my relationship with him.

EDIT: added "seemingly".
Last edit: 19 Jul 2010 12:33 by generalpf.

More
19 Jul 2010 13:05 #68702 by Michael Barnes
I haven't been able to play HORUS HERESY enough to review it until just recently, and I've got other stuff on the plate that I think is more interesting.

Besides, FFG did not send me a copy of HORUS HERESY, I bought it. So I'm not under any obligation to review it at all, ever. I've reviewed everything they've ever sent me, and almost everything they have sent me has gotten a favorable (or better) review. Even ANDROID was at least appreciative.

In fact, I don't know that I've ever written a negative full review of any FFG product. I've given them more good press- and more mainstream press at that- than a lot of other reviewers out there. Because they do good work, it's just been lately that I've questioned some of their marketing strategies.

The only product of theirs that I've "shredded" has been HORUS HERESY, so I'm not quite sure what the point of your hyperbole is here. RUNEWARS got a good review, BATTLES OF WESTEROS got a good review...what else is there, GeneralPF? Name specific FFG titles that I've "shredded", won't you?

Back to the Martin books. Look, I think they're shit. No, I've not read all three books to get to the good stuff or whatever, but I think most readers including myself are going to know whether or not they'll like the remainder of the books after 800+ pages. I know a lot of you guys love them and that's totally cool, I probably like a fair share of stuff that folks here think is shit too. I just don't really care enough about what other people think to get upset and befuddled as to why y'all don't like the things I like. Come to find out, I really don't like a lot of the stuff that nerds/geeks/gamers are "supposed" to like anyway.

As far as the IP goes, the HBO thing will make or break it as a mainstream property. I'm interested in watching it, a lot of the material might be more palatable in an hour long TV series. Or it could be worse. I'll reserve judgement on it until we see it. And I thought I was pretty clear that I think it's a good license for some kinds of games, but probably not for others.

Maybe we can at least all agree that Piers Anthony is garbage.

More
19 Jul 2010 13:40 #68707 by Nick Dalton
Someone should do psychological research on how people come to identify with creative and intellectual properties, if it doesn't already exist.

You know what's shit? The Dresden Files. I started reading them the last week. I like 'em a lot so far though.

More
19 Jul 2010 14:52 #68714 by Josh Look
Dresden is a total guilty pleasure of mine. I ate that first book right up, but the second one didn't excite me as much. Never went farther than that. It's total in-one-ear-out-the-other light reading fodder, but it's undeniably entertaining.

More
19 Jul 2010 14:56 #68715 by Nick Dalton
I was told the first two aren't that great, but the first one hooked me good. The second one is going a bit slower.

More
19 Jul 2010 15:11 #68717 by jay718
Michael Barnes wrote:

Maybe we can at least all agree that Piers Anthony is garbage.

Yeah, but I loved those Xanth and Space Tyrant books when I was in elementery school. Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger too. I asked this in another thread, but has anyone played the Xanth game?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds