October 09, 2023
2653 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2837 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Hulk Re-Release Imminent

More
08 Sep 2014 16:24 #186718 by Chaz
They should just go whole hog and toss it up on kickstarter. No way this thing doesn't fund for multiple millions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2014 16:48 #186721 by VonTush
Space Hulk is a tight, tense and pretty minimalist design considering how well it conveys the theme. It feels like a suspense thriller where the pressure is always up and death around every corner. Since from the Terminator's perspective the game is all about efficiency, the scenarios do have some patterns that emerge especially since each scenario gives you the same list of Terminators to use.

Incursion is a bit more cinematic with a lot of action and plays a bit looser. I feel like it tries to fix some of the pattern development by giving options when selecting your forces and then adding in action cards that throw in some random events.

The memorable moments for both games:
-Space Hulk: I was the Terminators and we accomplished the mission, a few brothers had already fallen and my Librarian and one other were racing towards the exit. The Librarian kept Psychically sealing doorways to cover their rear while Genestealers were flanking their sides. Without a moment or Action Point to spare they finally made it out.

-Incursion: I was the APEs and I had to get someone somewhere (I can't remember what the exact situation was). Due to some extra command points and I think a card, my APE managed to move something like 12 spaces, just dancing around the enemy and also blast a few shots. This one move basically ruined the game for my Space Hulk buddy because it was outlandish. It's forever known as "The Super Play".
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
08 Sep 2014 19:11 #186727 by drewcula

SuperflyTNT wrote:

VonTush wrote: To bring it back on topic though, I hope that this isn't just a rerelease of the version from a few years back. That would be disappointing for me since I already have a neglected one. But if it does something like use Deathwing Terminators rather than Blood Angel, or introduces Hybrids on the Genestealer side, or brings in the old Magus or Patriarch...Then I'll be first in line.

I'm going to make a prognostication, based only on gut feel:

It's not Space Hulk. It's SPACE CRUSADE.

It would have been great had this been true. Seemingly, it is not. GW opportunity missed.

More
09 Sep 2014 08:58 #186751 by Stonecutter
Traded Space Hulk last year for DOA II and Pathfinder ACG. Haven't really regretted it but there's no way I won't jump back in for $125.

More
09 Sep 2014 09:30 #186753 by Sagrilarus

Stonecutter wrote: Traded Space Hulk last year for DOA II and Pathfinder ACG. Haven't really regretted it but there's no way I won't jump back in for $125.

Another hobby that is becoming too expensive for me to purchase new.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
09 Sep 2014 10:08 #186755 by Cranberries
I heard a rumor that I started that Steve Jackson and Games Workshop are going to create a hybrid of Space Hulk and Ogre that will actually require a dedicated storage unit to hold the game. Transporting the game will require one of those 18-wheeler SUV conversions that were popular with NBA players a few years ago.

More
09 Sep 2014 10:16 #186758 by SuperflyPete
Nothing like needing a roll-off truck to deliver a game.

More
09 Sep 2014 10:24 #186761 by DukeofChutney
is this going to be a straight reprint, or are there likely to be any new additions?

Also, if the rumours are just based on that video, it would be funny if its just some new GW sculpts for the the regular 40k game.

On one hand, space hulk is the best game GW have ever released imo, and probably still the best in its genre. On the other, I have already played it quite a lot.

More
09 Sep 2014 10:27 #186763 by fastbilly1
I have a flat backed Ford C8000 Fire Engine, I can pick up atleast two copies.

More
09 Sep 2014 10:30 #186764 by Msample
From what I understand its the same sculpts as the last edition.

Although I only played Incursion once, I like Space Hulk better. Not only better atmospshere, but I like the variability of a modular tile layout versus a fixed board.

More
09 Sep 2014 10:54 #186767 by VonTush

DukeofChutney wrote: is this going to be a straight reprint, or are there likely to be any new additions?

Also, if the rumours are just based on that video, it would be funny if its just some new GW sculpts for the the regular 40k game.

I've heard 4 new missions and new tiles from those missions. The details I quoted earlier are supposedly from the new White Dwarf advertisement from people who have already received theirs. No scans or images though.

More
09 Sep 2014 11:25 #186768 by Michael Barnes
Every time a pretty decent dungeoncrawl/Dudes in a Hall game comes out SOMEBODY always pipes up with the ultimatum- "better than Space Hulk". Incursion was definitely subject to this in some quarters. Incursion was really good and had some fun concepts. But it also cluttered up the core Space Hulk experience and didn't manage to get anywhere NEAR the ruthless, opressive atmosphere SH generates with a really quite minimal set of rules. Claustrophobia is a GREAT game- but I'd still say it's second best to SH.

The key to SH working so well is in just a couple of very simple mechanics:

1. The hidden genestealer quantities. That is still one of the very best and most THEMATIC mechanics of all time. And it's cool because it maps directly to a very specific _cinematic_ element from, of course, Aliens.

2. Close combat is STUPENDOUSLY deadly for the Terminators and keeping the Genestealers away is so important...but they're a MOB, so it's inevitable that they're going to get in your face because...

3. The Terminators move like tanks in a molasses swamp.It really creates a sense that your guys are fragile, juicy humans in these enormous, bulky suits of armor that almost fill up entire hallways. You can't run. You can barely even turn around.

4. The shooting rules are _genius_, incorporating sustained fire, opportunity fire and gun jams all in just a die roll and a couple of sentences.

5. Like Dungeonquest, the game is rife with a strong, pervasive sense of fatalism. Every mission feels like a suicide mission. When you go down as the Terminators, it feels like an inevitable doom that you can not escape. When you succeed as them, it feels like you're genuinely overcoming the odds.

All of the above is done without any flavor text, cards, special abilites or any of the other crutches which setting or theme are usually propped up on. All of the above is why Incursion, Claustrophobia and all of the other post-Space Hulk Dudes in a Hall games can't touch it.

Bottom line- do you want to play Space Hulk or a game that is trying and failing to emulate Space Hulk.

But yeah, $125. May be a precedent setter like the $100 MSRP was in 2009.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
09 Sep 2014 11:57 #186769 by stormseeker75
Anyone need a kidney? I need to have this.

More
09 Sep 2014 12:03 #186770 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote:

Claustrophobia is better. Space Hulk has better atmosphere, but can feel repetitive after playing quite a few sessions. Claustrophobia is far more varied and replayable due to the dice activation mechanism, the superior variety of missions, and the demon board is far more interesting for the bad guy.

I like Space Hulk a lot, but I will die on that hill proclaiming Claustrophobia as the better overall game (and much better value as well).

More
09 Sep 2014 12:09 #186773 by VonTush
Claustrophobia is a very good game - Love it in fact, but for me the activation feels gamey, the dice rolling to set the stat line for the turn and the rolling of dice to find out what is available on the overlord's "menu" of choices.

Gamey elements take me out of the experience and don't allow me to forget that I'm playing a game. Space Hulk doesn't rely on any gimmicks to make it work or add in artificial decision points, that's what makes it so good.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds