October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk Silver Tower

More
04 Oct 2016 16:29 #235491 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
How big is the Sigmar warrior priest? Is he as big as the other AoS dudes? Wondering if he'd work as a warrior priest for Mordheim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2016 08:00 #235615 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
if the slaughter priest is any indication, these minis are big.

At bgg, UniversalHead is experiencing this game overstaying its welcome.

Any F:ATties share those sentiments?

More
06 Oct 2016 11:46 - 06 Oct 2016 11:50 #235636 by Mr. White
(moved to the what minis are you painting thread)
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 11:50 by Mr. White.

More
06 Oct 2016 13:41 #235666 by Dr. Lao
Replied by Dr. Lao on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower

Mr. White wrote: At bgg, UniversalHead is experiencing this game overstaying its welcome.

Any F:ATties share those sentiments?

By the time I finished the campaign I felt it was time to move on. We lost one game. We had a character death maybe twice outside of the lost game. The game not providing much challenge made me feel like I was just going through the motions reaching a forgone conclusion.

That said, I am eager to try it solo, to really digest and picture the narrative elements. Take it slow and adjust on the fly in order to give me that much needed challenge.

But yes, towards the end, once the shine and newness wore off, I did start to get bored.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
06 Oct 2016 13:46 - 06 Oct 2016 13:47 #235668 by Mr. White
Does the book have variants/suggestions to increase difficulty?

What other dungeoncrawlers have you played? How would you compare ST to them?

Sort of late to reflect on now that I bought it, but I think any co-op game, by its nature will slide towards boring more than a head-to-head game. any game where players are competing has that competitive factor that co-ops don't have. different opponents being new challenges.

I hope it has enough legs to be worth all the painting I'm about to do...
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 13:47 by Mr. White.

More
06 Oct 2016 14:09 #235672 by Dr. Lao
Replied by Dr. Lao on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
Nothing official in the book.
Two I have considered toying around with, but haven't yet, are having heroes count for more than one when determining enemy counts. Run two heroes but act like there's four for example.

The other option is giving the enemies an immediate activation when revealed. Unless you intentionally get your pacing off you'll usually have all heroes with most if not all their actions standing in a doorway when the tile is revealed. It's a perpetual feeling you caught the enemies with their pants down. An interruption activation might cause a few wounds on your heroes requiring a bit more thought about how to approach the challenge since your resources (actions) are partially depleted to begin with (and the main reason why any character died in my campaign).

What I like most about ST and why it has jumped up to perhaps my favorite dungeon crawl, is that it nails what I want: Exploration, Narrative and Slashing. The Skills and Items are done well enough. It has distilled to the dungeon crawl to its essence without bogging down in various status effects, tokens, cards and actions.

The only thing I feel it lacks is the challenge. And I think the immediate activation might be just the shot to the vein it needs and will also be the first one I try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, Mr. White

More
12 Oct 2016 15:10 #235995 by Mr. White
Anyone have any idea if this was a decent seller for GW?
How does it's sales compare with the other recent boardgames?

I know BB is going to come out and it's numbers are going to blow them all (except maybe Space Hulks) out of the water, but I don't want to see the relaunch of a WHQ series to fade away. I hope to see another base/setting box or two.

More
12 Oct 2016 16:21 #236012 by Mr. White
Apparently, a new female hero has been added to the app. Too recent to be in that card pack though.

www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Sylvaneth-B...h?_requestid=1105984
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Colorcrayons

More
12 Oct 2016 16:30 #236017 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
These minis are spectacular. I just wish there was more of a game here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
12 Oct 2016 22:01 - 13 Oct 2016 02:31 #236043 by Wetworks
Replied by Wetworks on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
Got my copy of Silver Tower from the Ebay deal last week. I've been slowly putting it together, I didn't time it but I think it took around 3hrs just to put the 6 heroes together. The miniatures look amazing, can't wait to play.

I hope the undead big box expansion fleshes out the campaign system more in the vein of the original Warhammer Quest rather than just being more of the same, a la the AD&D system.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2016 02:31 by Wetworks.

More
13 Oct 2016 11:32 #236078 by metalface13
I don't have any numbers for Silver Tower sales, but from the buzz I've seen all over different forums, blogs and Facebook groups I'd say it has done well.

More
13 Oct 2016 12:00 #236084 by Mr. White
Is there an active ST FB group?

More
13 Oct 2016 15:05 #236095 by Delobius
Replied by Delobius on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower
There's plenty of game there and I like it a lot. But it suffers from the same problem that all co-op dungeon crawls have: it's way too easy to optimize your actions. Going all the way back to Hero Quest, the key tactic has been to make sure all areas are cleared of enemies before moving on, and never open a door (or reveal a tile or whatever) unless most or all of the heroes are ready to take action. It's kind of a problem baked into the design of most of these style of games.

Maybe alternating activations would work; everything has an Agility value so maybe you could activate in order of Agility. Or you could roll for initiative (which adds a lot more dice rolling).

More
13 Oct 2016 15:15 #236097 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Let's Talk Silver Tower

Delobius wrote: There's plenty of game there and I like it a lot. But it suffers from the same problem that all co-op dungeon crawls have: it's way too easy to optimize your actions. Going all the way back to Hero Quest, the key tactic has been to make sure all areas are cleared of enemies before moving on, and never open a door (or reveal a tile or whatever) unless most or all of the heroes are ready to take action. It's kind of a problem baked into the design of most of these style of games.

Maybe alternating activations would work; everything has an Agility value so maybe you could activate in order of Agility. Or you could roll for initiative (which adds a lot more dice rolling).

I don't want to detract too much from the subject, but in the last dungeon crawl game I played (Shadows of Brimstone) we had characters lagging behind and others running ahead to reveal new rooms mid-fight because there's a built in timer on the missions (a kind of Doom Track) and we had to book it. Characters and enemies also all activate in strict initiative order, so you might want one character to do something after another, but they go before. Now, SoB is basically a xerox copy of the old Warhammer Quest, but I don't know if those were or were not in the old game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
13 Oct 2016 15:38 #236101 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: Is there an active ST FB group?

Yep, looks like you found it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.494 seconds