October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2727 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Innsmouth Horror

More
16 Feb 2009 08:38 #21314 by sydo
Innsmouth Horror was created by sydo
Admin of a Czech Boardgaming site just PMed me that he got info from FFG about the AH - Innsmouth Horror expansion. Hope that it's true, he said he will post the details in the evening. Anyone can confirm this? He said that his site have a partnership with FFG but there is no sign of it on BGG and I am sure they are partenrs with FFG as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2009 09:08 #21318 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
FF advertises with BGG and why would they give inside info to a czech boardgaming site and not just post it to 1. their own (FFG) site 2. here 3. BGG?

Just sounds odd, unless a big announcement is being made today or something.

More
16 Feb 2009 09:13 #21319 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
hancock.tom wrote:

FF advertises with BGG and why would they give inside info to a czech boardgaming site and not just post it to 1. their own (FFG) site 2. here 3. BGG?

Just sounds odd, unless a big announcement is being made today or something.

I find this VERY odd as well but will wait for the evening news. He said no pictures or such but a short info about the expansion.

More
16 Feb 2009 10:03 #21325 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Even if this announcement isn't official, Innsmouth Horror is inevitable. It's the last major location in Lovecraft Country that hasn't been done yet, and besides, we need Deep Ones. The aquatic tokens introduced in Kingsport Horror had minimal utility, but I expect that they will play a significant role in Innsmouth Horror. The big mystery will be what unique role Innsmouth will play. It can't just be another region with gates, like Dunwich, because that would make it nearly impossible for a small group to handle all the boards. Maybe there will be a big ritual in progress there, and players will need to disrupt it periodically to prevent a threat on par with the Dunwich Horror. Another possibility is that the cultists in Innsmouth are unusually well-organized... they pretty much control the town. Maybe any visits to Innsmouth will run the risk of a coordinated manhunt for the investigators there.

More
More
16 Feb 2009 17:43 #21379 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Deep Ones, 16 new investigators, 8 GOO's, 2 Heralds, more than 30 monsters and more than 300 cards. Can't wait.

More
16 Feb 2009 18:38 #21385 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
If you haven't checked it out yet. It's up on the FFG site.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=405

More
16 Feb 2009 20:24 #21393 by Orthodork
Replied by Orthodork on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
As a side note, I'm late to the Arkham Horror party; which expansion would be a good first one?

More
16 Feb 2009 21:27 #21395 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Orthodork wrote:

As a side note, I'm late to the Arkham Horror party; which expansion would be a good first one?

Dunwich (for a big one) or King In Yellow (for a little one).

More
17 Feb 2009 05:04 #21413 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror

Innsmouth Horror introduces several new game concepts to the Arkham Horror board game. Among these are the Personal Stories, a new way for each investigator to contribute. These will provide a bit more of the back story for each investigator, including the 16 new investigators found in the Innsmouth Expansion. Another new feature is the Innsmouth Look deck. These cards represent the dangers inherent in staying in the town of Innsmouth any longer than necessary, and can spell the end for an unwary investigator.

With 16 new characters and Personal Stories. I'm wondering if the FFG team took a page out of the Android book to develop really deep character plots. My favorite part about Android is the character plots. I can see IH doing something like that. Black Goat barely touched on the conflict between helping the group vs. going down the corruption path. It would be really cool if IH did something similar. A balancing act of working for the group and sealing gates and kill monsters vs. dealing with you own personal character plots.

More
17 Feb 2009 06:12 #21414 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror

Is it necessary to have the expansions in order. I owned "Curse of the Dark Pharaoh", and my brother bought me "Kingsport" for Christmas. Will I have to buy all the others before I use that one?

More
17 Feb 2009 08:44 #21420 by timeLESS
Replied by timeLESS on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Nope, just Mix'n'Match 'em the way you like.

More
17 Feb 2009 09:54 #21428 by Shellhead
dysjunct wrote:

Orthodork wrote:

Dunwich (for a big one) or King In Yellow (for a little one).

I agree. Dunwich adds a challenging number of extra gate locations, plus the very cool Madness and Injury cards, plus a lot of characters and GOOs. King in Yellow has the coolest theme and the best Herald.

More
17 Feb 2009 09:57 #21429 by Shellhead
KingPut wrote:

Innsmouth Horror introduces several new game concepts to the Arkham Horror board game. Among these are the Personal Stories, a new way for each investigator to contribute. These will provide a bit more of the back story for each investigator, including the 16 new investigators found in the Innsmouth Expansion. Another new feature is the Innsmouth Look deck. These cards represent the dangers inherent in staying in the town of Innsmouth any longer than necessary, and can spell the end for an unwary investigator.

With 16 new characters and Personal Stories. I'm wondering if the FFG team took a page out of the Android book to develop really deep character plots. My favorite part about Android is the character plots. I can see IH doing something like that. Black Goat barely touched on the conflict between helping the group vs. going down the corruption path. It would be really cool if IH did something similar. A balancing act of working for the group and sealing gates and kill monsters vs. dealing with you own personal character plots.

If they retroactively provide Personal Stories for every character in the game, it will need to be a limited quantity of cards. Say 3 cards for a story times 16 characters per big box times 4 big boxes = 192 cards. That doesn't leave a lot of room for cards for Innsmouth itself, let alone new stuff for the overall game, like items and whatnot.

More
17 Feb 2009 13:21 #21446 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Shellhead wrote:

If they retroactively provide Personal Stories for every character in the game, it will need to be a limited quantity of cards. Say 3 cards for a story times 16 characters per big box times 4 big boxes = 192 cards. That doesn't leave a lot of room for cards for Innsmouth itself, let alone new stuff for the overall game, like items and whatnot.

IIRC, there were only 8 investigators each in both Dunwich and Kingsport, which would put their number to 48 altogether.

This new expansion looks like it's providing almost as much stuff as the base game!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds