October 09, 2023
2527 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Innsmouth Horror

More
17 Feb 2009 13:42 #21448 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Columbob wrote:

IIRC, there were only 8 investigators each in both Dunwich and Kingsport, which would put their number to 48 altogether.

This new expansion looks like it's providing almost as much stuff as the base game!

Good point, there were only 8 new characters each in Dunwich & Kingsport. Okay, (16+8+8+16)*3= 144 cards, which is still a lot out of the 300 total. Still, the idea is exciting, and they could always do a later expansion that added another story for each investigator.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2009 13:56 #21450 by Thaadd
Replied by Thaadd on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
The Injury and Madness mechanics make investigators a little less blithe about their stats. Being 'double visioned' (can not pick up clues!!!) is rough. I generally recommend Dunwich first.

That's all the individual stacks of cards, out so far. (and a cat)
Hope you have a big table :)

More
17 Feb 2009 15:36 #21477 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Thaadd wrote:

That's all the individual stacks of cards, out so far. (and a cat)
Hope you have a big table :)

What about just getting a smaller cat?

More
17 Feb 2009 19:17 #21513 by Thaadd
She is a cat who enjoys her boardgames...
farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/2168758181_9e4da7f6a5.jpg

(and a bit of a fatty)

More
17 Feb 2009 19:29 #21514 by Shellhead
If our cat Barkley (named after Charles Barkley) were confronted with the awesome spectacle of all those stacks of Arkham Horror cards... he would nonchalantly stroll across them and then sprawl on the far end of that table, knocking many cards off the table and lying on the rest. Unless maybe the box lid was available, in which case he would go lie in that. That's how he enjoys boardgames.

More
17 Feb 2009 19:54 #21517 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Thaadd wrote:

She is a cat who enjoys her boardgames...
farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/2168758181_9e4da7f6a5.jpg

(and a bit of a fatty)

PLEASE tell me you didn't just post a "cat in a gamebox" picture!?!?!

More
17 Feb 2009 21:45 #21534 by Thaadd
I did, in fact, as a blatant, and effective troll of you.

:D

I should arrange some 'game pieces on my cat' photos, to further the baiting.

More
17 Feb 2009 21:50 #21535 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
You realise this is a floggble offense?

More
17 Feb 2009 23:23 #21543 by Count Orlok
Replied by Count Orlok on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Now, one question I have is about the "Innsmouth look" cards. This seems like a strange choice, since I thought the people of Innsmouth had said look due to some odd breeding habits with deep ones. Why the hell would investigators get "the look" then?

More
18 Feb 2009 04:44 #21548 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
Count Orlok wrote:

Now, one question I have is about the "Innsmouth look" cards. This seems like a strange choice, since I thought the people of Innsmouth had said look due to some odd breeding habits with deep ones. Why the hell would investigators get "the look" then?

An increased chance to meet a sexy ol' fishy one?

More
18 Feb 2009 09:48 #21563 by Shellhead
Count Orlok wrote:

An investigator with "the look" might be somebody with an ancestor from Innsmouth or one of the other communities where hybrids might be found. Think of it as a fish in your family tree. One of the investigators in my Call of Cthulhu campaign played a character who was directly descended from the Marsh family, and she described her character as having a couple of features that matched the look, because she liked the idea that she might be a hybrid. After a couple of trips to the sanitarium, she retired that character, but I plan to bring her back during an upcoming adventure in Innsmouth.

More
23 Feb 2009 13:23 #22019 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
"One glance was all it took
She gave me the Innsmouth look"

Definitely the Hillside Thickets' best song.

More
24 Feb 2009 04:57 #22083 by Partizan
Replied by Partizan on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
My question is for anyone who has all the AH expansions so far. Will you be able to fit everything into two boxes?

Assuming you have
Box 1
Base game
Dunwich
1 small expansion

Box 2
Kingsport
2 small expansions

What do you think? Will you get Innsmouth into that 2nd box, or will it spill over to a third

More
24 Feb 2009 07:08 #22084 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Innsmouth Horror
If you were very careful you could get everything into 2 boxes but for me I'm using plastic containers for counters, a leather monster bag etc. so it'll take a 3rd box for me.

More
24 Feb 2009 10:10 #22090 by Shellhead
I've been holding off on extreme storage solutions for Arkham until it appears that they are done publishing expansions. Innsmouth is supposedly the end of the line, though I'm sure that nobody would object if Kevin Wilson had some great ideas for another small box expansion or two in the coming years.

So far, I've just been trying to use three big boxes to hold everything, though there are just way too many cards to fit in the card holders, and the big pile of investigator movement tokens is becoming a problem as well. I have a small plastic storage box that works really well for holding the various flavors of cardboard chits, plus I am using three business card racks during the games to minimize the footprint of the various decks. The first two racks hold the neighborhood cards for Arkham, Dunwich and Kingsport, and the third one should hold any Innsmouth neighborhood cards and still leave room for 8 different small decks (madness, injury, green corruption, red corruption, skills, etc.)

But with 16 more investigators coming, and 300 more cards, even a fourth big box with the standard insert isn't going to work anymore. For one thing, the stack of cardboard sheets for the 48 investigators and 24-32 GOO is going to be too tall to fit in any one big box unless I take out a tray. If I had the work-working skills and tools, I would try to make a fancy wooden carrying case like that one guy posted pictures of at BGG. Instead, I will probably toss one or two of the big box inserts and try making my own custom foamcore inserts. I am terrible at making things... even my prototype game components are just adequate. But I should be able to manage the foamcore, plus it doesn't have to look nice, it just needs to be functional.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds