October 09, 2023
2765 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2921 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Board Game Philosophy Club

More
16 Apr 2009 11:52 #26079 by ChristopherMD
Schweig! wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Building postal routes accross Bavaria?

I'm just glad someone did that.

BTW if you pass 100 posts without uploading an avatar, I'll give you 1 thrashdiamond.

Maybe you could lend him the 50 FATtie Fun Bucks needed to purchase an avatar instead?

Oh wait, this isn't some lame website where you have to buy a freakin avatar. My bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2009 12:19 #26086 by Notahandle
hancock.tom wrote:
"Schweig, what is german for looping, and is there a german equivalent to the name louie?"
Not quite what you asked, but how about Riesenflugzeugabteilungen Reggie?

More
16 Apr 2009 12:36 #26090 by Bullwinkle
Notahandle wrote:

Not quite what you asked, but how about Riesenflugzeugabteilungen Reggie?

Hey, has anyone played the game this expansion is based on, Luftschiff/Airships at War ? It looks kind of cool. And it's by the same designer as American Megafauna.

More
16 Apr 2009 13:39 #26095 by Michael Barnes
Jesus christ, did we really need a TAXI reference here? That show made me cry when I was little...I always wondered why everybody and everything in it was dirty.

Looks like I'm the only one who enjoys Thurn & Taxis!

Ladies and gentlemen, I regret that I have to be the one to post this, but Vialy has been summarily executed by a firing squad in response to his fifth columnist beliefs. We brook no traitors here at F:AT. His Fatbucks account will be divided up between Schweig, Diane Close, and Billyz.

In fact, there are many Euros that are rather bland in "real life" and much more enjoyable on BSW where setup, card handling and scoring is all done for you. And it's not like you need much interaction anyway. Other games I enjoy on BSW but I don't see the point of playing FtF: Dominion, Carcassonne, Paris Paris, Lost Cities.

Interestingly, I find this to be kind of true too. I can deal with stuff like WEB OF POWER online or with AI, but in real life the games fucking suck. KINGSBURG, for example, is actually palatable as a computer game- it takes about 10 minutes to play a complete game. And you never have to see a fat person.

More
16 Apr 2009 14:21 #26100 by hancock.tom
Michael Barnes wrote:

Interestingly, I find this to be kind of true too. I can deal with stuff like WEB OF POWER online or with AI, but in real life the games fucking suck. KINGSBURG, for example, is actually palatable as a computer game- it takes about 10 minutes to play a complete game. And you never have to see a fat person.

Thats exactly how I feel about Dominion. Weak in person, but great on a computer.

More
16 Apr 2009 14:26 #26102 by Aarontu
While we're talking about Thurn & Taxis, I gotta say that it has a suck-tastic expansion (Power & Glory). It takes out any "push your luck" feeling the original T&T had, because you never have to discard your route. They also took out carriages all together. Besides that, it's pretty much the same (only worse).

More
16 Apr 2009 14:34 #26106 by Michael Barnes
It seems to me that "power and glory" and "mail service" are not related in any way.

More
16 Apr 2009 14:44 #26110 by ChristopherMD
Michael Barnes wrote:

It seems to me that "power and glory" and "mail service" are not related in any way.

I want to play with the "Armed & Disgruntled" expansion.

More
16 Apr 2009 15:13 #26118 by Bullwinkle
mjl1783 wrote:

Wow, I just looked up Thurn & Taxis. So far I'd managed only to hear it referred to. Building postal routes accross Bavaria?

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night, could make me play this fucking game.

More
16 Apr 2009 15:34 #26119 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Board Game Philosophy Club
Bullwinkle wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Wow, I just looked up Thurn & Taxis. So far I'd managed only to hear it referred to. Building postal routes accross Bavaria?

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night, could make me play this fucking game.

You really can't judge the deep strategic choices and multiple scoring tracks if you haven't played the game at least a few times. And oh but it's not just Bavaria! There's Hesse and Baden as well, not to mention Thuringia! Please reconsider your rating of this game.

More
16 Apr 2009 16:07 #26123 by Aarontu
Jur wrote:

Bullwinkle wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

You really can't judge the deep strategic choices and multiple scoring tracks if you haven't played the game at least a few times. And oh but it's not just Bavaria! There's Hesse and Baden as well, not to mention Thuringia! Please reconsider your rating of this game.

Seriously; you have to play it about 7 times (on average, with a SD or 3.5) before you can find the fun contained within its dry, hard exterior. Anyways, you shouldn't knock it unless you've designed a published game. Only game designers can say a game is bad.

More
16 Apr 2009 16:13 #26124 by ChristopherMD
Aarontu wrote:

Jur wrote:

Bullwinkle wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Seriously; you have to play it about 7 times (on average, with a SD or 3.5) before you can find the fun contained within its dry, hard exterior. Anyways, you shouldn't knock it unless you've designed a published game. Only game designers can say a game is bad.

Does getting CCG cards published count?

More
16 Apr 2009 16:19 #26126 by ubarose
Thurn & Taxis is the Lindsay Lohan of Eurogames. Those cute little family games tried to reach out to an adult audience and ended up passed out in a pool of their own vomit.

More
16 Apr 2009 16:20 #26127 by hancock.tom
Mad Dog wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

Jur wrote:

Bullwinkle wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Does getting CCG cards published count?

"publishing" a game on your printer in your basement and never showing it to anyone gets you counted as a designer on BGG. I'd say getting a CCG card published is enough here. The question is, do you have an appropriate easter egg somewhere on the card?

More
16 Apr 2009 16:21 #26128 by Not Sure
Aarontu wrote:

Only game designers can say a game is bad.

Then why don't they? Preferably before they publish the piece of crap?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds