October 09, 2023
2797 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2938 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

First Runewars preview up

More
17 Jan 2010 23:52 #53397 by Gary Sax
Random thought that someone brought up in the FFG forums. This game has a lot of mechanics that remind me of the Rondel mechanics in those euros--the seasonal automatic events in particular. Provide a bit of rhythm to the game. We'll see how it works out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2010 00:58 #53402 by shryke
Replied by shryke on topic Re:First Runewars preview up
I was completely "Blah" on this game when it was first announced, but reading the rules makes me excited. This looks pretty damn cool.

Seems like Warrior Knights meets Heroes of Might and Magic.

They've taken out a few things I really like from the Warrior Knights system (the ability to control the game phases by what orders you play) but the MUCH better combat in this game will, I'm sure, make up for it.

More
20 Jan 2010 17:37 #53554 by kookoobah
I had a dream last night, I dreamt Runewars had battleboards ala Titan that you had to bring out whenever armies clash. There was a specific battleboard for each area on the map, so each tile was a different battleground with different tactics. You really had to choose where you picked your battles. Fucking awesome.

Also, heroes could go into dungeons/explore and you had to stop and setup Descent maps.

More
20 Jan 2010 17:45 #53555 by ChristopherMD
kookoobah wrote:

Also, heroes could go into dungeons/explore and you had to stop and setup Descent maps.

Only if you buy the potentials as a separate expansion.

More
20 Jan 2010 22:36 - 22 Jan 2010 14:37 #53566 by YourBestFriend
kookoobah wrote:

I had a dream last night, I dreamt Runewars had battleboards ala Titan that you had to bring out whenever armies clash. There was a specific battleboard for each area on the map, so each tile was a different battleground with different tactics. You really had to choose where you picked your battles. Fucking awesome.

Sounds amazing. ;)
Last edit: 22 Jan 2010 14:37 by YourBestFriend.

More
22 Jan 2010 13:03 #53632 by Michael Barnes
Just got a review copy in the post, too bad River can't quite grasp it yet...

Has anyone played it yet? I want to hear what people think about it because reading the rules and looking over the components, it looks fucking awesome. There's a lot of really neat ideas, and I'm kind of surprised that it's as straightforward and "clean" as it is given everything that the game does.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the $100 price tag...it looks super nice, but I'm not seeing $100 worth of production in it at all. Compared to STARCRAFT, DESCENT, TIDE OF IRON, or TI3, the box is awfully light.

Really looking forward to it...maybe next week I'll get a chance to play it.

More
22 Jan 2010 13:07 #53633 by metalface13
Michael Barnes wrote:

Just got a review copy in the post, too bad River can't quite grasp it yet..

Yeah those motor skills take a little while to develop.

More
22 Jan 2010 13:57 #53635 by Gary Sax
I am fucking drooling to get this game. Let us know how it is if you play it, Barnes or anyone else.

More
22 Jan 2010 14:05 #53636 by Shellhead
River?

Barnes, I thought that you hated Firefly?

More
22 Jan 2010 14:17 #53641 by Michael Barnes
I thought about the potential ramifications of naming our boy River, including the FIREFLY connection. But then I realized that FIREFLY has absolutely zero cultural resonance or significance and will be all but forgotten by the time he enters preschool so it's irrelevant.

A couple of things I'm really digging about RUNEWARS:

- the scale shifting- big, epic scale conflict and individual heroic exploits
- you can either stomp neutrals or recruit them
- Unit production is cool- if you have X amount, you produce everything on the dial below it
- There's really not a lot of cards and clutter- I expected a deck of 50 variations on a +1 sword, that's not here at all

More
22 Jan 2010 14:36 #53645 by Gary Sax
I think the Neutrals is one of the parts I think is coolest.

More
22 Jan 2010 15:31 #53648 by caadamec
I just picked this up last night and will be playing this weekend. I am really looking forward to seeing how the order cards and seasons work together over the course of a game year. I think that is a really cool system. It seems so coolly thematic.

More
22 Jan 2010 15:53 #53649 by Octavian
Was talking with a friend who got to play Runewars and he said one of the biggest surprises from actual play compared to reading the rules was the distribution of "good" "neutral" and "bad" icons in the fate deck. Something like only 4 good symbols in the entire deck of 40, and over half were bad. Means you'll be stomping the neutrals much more often than you'll be recruiting them.

Still, he said it didn't detract at all from play. You're just going to need to really work to be ably to ally with those dragons.

More
22 Jan 2010 20:08 #53655 by kookoobah
YourBestFriend wrote:

kookoobah wrote:

Sounds amazing. ;)

Giving you any ideas for the expansion Corey? Haha.

More
22 Jan 2010 23:35 #53657 by Jason Lutes
Thoughthammer says my order just shipped today. Should get it by Wednesday, so it'll be at least another 5 days before I can give it a spin. Dyin' to!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds