October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Ameritrash Remakes - Past, Present, Future.

More
30 Apr 2010 10:44 #61500 by Mr. White
SGT Dave wrote:

Regular OOP games I'd like to see back (granted, they're not classics): Broadsides and Boarding Parties, Samurai Swords, Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game (any game that advertised on the back of a comic book deserves it), Chainsaw Warrior (with a multi-player variant), and TSR's Escape from New York (that game needs a full face lift, including better mechanics -- but the theme, man, the theme!).

Escape From New York! ha! You're right about the theme. We had some laughs running down lines from the film, but that game didn't see repeat plays at all. It was one and done for us.

You know, that's not a bad idea though. I doubt a remake of EFNY boardgame will ever happen, but that's a great theme for a boardgame company! Each player controls a small group trying to survive/escape some dystopian penal colony. gold!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2010 11:27 #61508 by mjl1783
Welcome aboard, SGT Dave.

You like Broadsides & Boarding Parties, the pocket games, and the old RoboRally, which officially makes you the second coolest person here.

More
30 Apr 2010 11:33 #61511 by Shellhead
I just realized something. The designer of Blood Feud in New York was probably inspired by the board for Escape from New York to play a Risk variant on that board. That's why he went to the trouble of naming every map area, even though that doesn't ultimately have any game effect in Blood Feud.

More
30 Apr 2010 13:35 #61526 by southernman
mjl1783 wrote:

You like Broadsides & Boarding Parties, the pocket games, and the old RoboRally, which officially makes you the second coolest person here.

Aw shucks MJL, I'm all choked up with that blatant nod to me .... unfortunately I don't think B&B ever left North America so I have never seen it, I'm good with the others though.

More
30 Apr 2010 14:00 #61530 by Columbob
Southernman wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

Aw shucks MJL, I'm all choked up with that blatant nod to me .... unfortunately I don't think B&B ever left North America so I have never seen it, I'm good with the others though.

I was sure he was referring to the late & great Heldarion .

More
30 Apr 2010 14:43 #61536 by SGT Dave
Jack Hooligan wrote:

... that game didn't see repeat plays at all. It was one and done for us.

That's how I felt after watching Escape from LA.

You know, that's not a bad idea though. I doubt a remake of EFNY boardgame will ever happen, but that's a great theme for a boardgame company! Each player controls a small group trying to survive/escape some dystopian penal colony. gold!

We need to just make our own EFNY game. One player is Snake, the other is the Duke, he has to get in, get the pres and escape before the doom counter blows his head off; we'll use the board from Marvel Heroes, Doom Track from Runebound, Descent combat dice, chits from Block Mania; we just need a taxi, some punk rocker minis and Adrienne Barbeau.

More
30 Apr 2010 15:09 #61537 by Stephen Avery
How about a "Big Trouble in Little China" boardgame...

Stephen"Black Blood of the Earth"Avery

More
30 Apr 2010 15:35 #61539 by Msample
I hope it comes with a Pork Chop Express plastic semi truck .

I read somewhere they were trying to remake this . God I hope they don't.

More
30 Apr 2010 16:51 - 30 Apr 2010 16:53 #61549 by mjl1783
Any BTiLC game would have to be a dexterity game, Steve. It's all in the reflexes, you know.

EDIT: And by the way, Southernman, that was a nod to you, but we're still tied for coolest.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2010 16:53 by mjl1783.

More
30 Apr 2010 22:25 #61563 by Merkles
In addition to Big Trouble in Little China, I want an "Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" game. It's perfect for AT -- comic books, alien invasion, rock music, fast cars in the desert. It might have to be a mix of Arkham Horror and something like Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Zork successor).

More
01 May 2010 05:10 #61569 by BloodyJack
MattDP wrote:

Off the top of my head - and so by no means complete:

Gunslinger
Magic Realm
Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
Chainsaw Warrior
Block Mania, especially with 4 players
Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Junta
Apeptus Titanicus
Mighty Empires
Dark Future
Rogue Trooper
Advanced Heroques
Blood Royale

Note that many of these games could be superb if they were pared down in the length and or complexity departments.

Man I would kill for a Blood Royale remake. It has been my grail for a while now. Friend once found it at an estate sale, but it was just the box with rules in it I think. Thank god he's not such a dick to actually wrap that shit up and give it to me as a gift.

Dark Future and Gunslinger also would make my cut.

More
01 May 2010 07:52 #61574 by dan daly
Who is supposed to be reprinting Battle Cry?

More
01 May 2010 08:26 #61575 by Msample
FRED , supposedly .

More
01 May 2010 10:00 #61576 by southernman
BloodyJack wrote:

Man I would kill for a Blood Royale remake. It has been my grail for a while now. Friend once found it at an estate sale, but it was just the box with rules in it I think. Thank god he's not such a dick to actually wrap that shit up and give it to me as a gift.

Dark Future and Gunslinger also would make my cut.

I've got a mint copy for sale over at BGG, unfortunately we're on opposite sides of the pond so postage may be a bugger.

More
01 May 2010 14:41 #61580 by Gary Sax
I want Gunslinger and Merchant of Venus. If Gunslinger had a quality PnP option like Mercant did I would probably make it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.536 seconds