October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Your First Game

More
31 Aug 2010 06:07 #72723 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Re:Your First Game
1. What was the first boardgame that you played?
I remember playing a game about farming a lot. But also African Star.

2. What was the first AmeriTrash boardgame that you played?
One of my friends got Haunted House for his birthday and I was blown away. It had a little plastic skull, a falling axe, and even a big tower with stairs to roll said skull down of knocking pawns left and right on its way. It was my biggest wish that year, but sadly there's hardly a game in it at all. I seem to remember that it was quickly worn out.

3. What was the first boardgame that you bought?
I got games such as Scotland Yard, Tarqui, Man O War, Warhammer 40K and stuff for birthdays and christmasses. But the first game I bought with my own money was a gift for my younger brother. He was really into the Vietnam war, I was really into board games, so I gave him Platoon when I was 11 or so. When I got back into board gaming years later, I bought Risk 2210AD as my first game.

4. What was the first AmeriTrash boardgame that you bought?
See above.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2010 08:38 #72732 by mrmarcus
Replied by mrmarcus on topic Re:Your First Game

Candy Land I think. I was told I tried to eat the pieces thinking they were candy.

I'd have to say Gambler. Roll and move all about betting and risk-taking hoping the dice land your way. And it had a really cool dice shaker.

Civilization.

Good question. I'm not sure which one qualifies.

More
31 Aug 2010 08:54 #72735 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Your First Game
1- Probably either Monopoly or Life or Sorry. They were at my babysitter's house and I friggin loved them to death.

2- Either Heroquest or Axis & Allies. My brother got both as gifts and we played them a lot. I'm gonna go with HQ as being first though...

3- Well, I think it actually may have been the Settlers of Catan Card game unless we're counting Magic. I bought Hitler's War first thinking it'd be like A&A, but still have never played it (it's more a wargame). While deep in MtG a friend introduced us to this crazy game called Settlers. My buddy bought it so I didnt need to until later in college. So we were introduced to the Settlers card game and I was the one to buy that!

4- To *buy* I'd say Betrayal at House on the Hill actually. Kinda crazy, but I guess I just wasnt the one buying games for a long while. Again, unless you count Magic or Mage Knight.

More
31 Aug 2010 10:04 #72748 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re:Your First Game
SleightOfHand12 wrote:

Fun fact: one of my good friends from school is the kid on the back of that box. He totally ratted us all out when we got caught playing with matches in 3rd grade.

More
31 Aug 2010 10:42 #72752 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:Your First Game
Monopoly.

It's arguable that roll-n-move = Ameritrash, so I'd say Monopoly, but if that doesn't count, then it's either Dark Tower or Crossbows and Catapults. Played them when I was 7 or 8 with my best friend and his older brother. He was the major influence on my gaming, for sure.

The first "hobby" game I bought was Attacktix. That game is fun as hell. That led me to Heroscape, then onto other games.

Attacktix. Then Heroscape, then Mutant Chronicles: Siege.

More
31 Aug 2010 11:29 #72754 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Your First Game
1st) I've been playing cards since before the dawn of time. I would guess CRAZY 8s. If we are sticking to boardgames, it's probably CHECKERS. Could be TROUBLE though, I remember that and weebles and shit.

2nd) I recall some glorious CROSSBOWS & CATAPULTS kitchen floor matches as a kid. When did that come out? (rummages)1983? Oh fuck that. I played DARK TOWER years before that--older brothers are awesome.

3rd) I bought BERMUDA TRIANGLE at a yard sale circa 1985 or so.

4th) I'd go with the above. I have spent more $$$ on M:TG than all my other gaming expenditures combined though, for sure.

More
31 Aug 2010 11:47 #72757 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Your First Game
Sesame Street matching game

Dungeon

Crossbows & Catapults

Panzer Leader (1 week after buying Steve Jackson's Battle of the Bulge pocket box)

My older brother bought most of the games we played for a couple of years. Car Wars, Grav Ball I remember. Played lots of D&D when I was 9 onwards.

More
31 Aug 2010 11:47 #72758 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Your First Game
1. Who knows?

2 -4. SNITS REVENGE BABY! - the old long box TSR version! Followed a month later by Awful Green Things.

More
31 Aug 2010 12:51 - 31 Aug 2010 12:53 #72759 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re:Your First Game
One year we got Fireball Island for Christmas. Fucking excellent. I also remember playing quite a bit of Screaming Eagles and Heroquest when we first got those.

Leaping to the present era, the first AT game I bought for myself was the FFG Fury of Dracula. It's been outstanding value for money.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2010 12:53 by JoelCFC25.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds