October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2748 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Octavian knows more (football) than you - update!

More
01 Dec 2008 23:52 #14679 by Octavian
I tried to spot y'all a fair cushion, but with four weeks remaining I've already closed the gap, now in second place and only two points out of first. I guess dogging it for eight weeks just wasn't enough of a handicap. Next week I won't try until after week 10.

-MMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2008 05:41 #14806 by billyz
I wouldn't get too fucking cocky just yet my nephew.

If you're half the pooler you claim to be you know god damn well this has been one of the craziest, holy-fuck-I-think-we've-just-experienced-a paradigm-shift seasons of football ever played.

Personally, I think that the home stretch is bound to get a bit zany and that any body within six or seven points has a shot at being top dog.

Fo' shizzle.

More
04 Dec 2008 13:02 #14906 by Octavian
billyz wrote:

I wouldn't get too fucking cocky just yet my nephew.

If you're half the pooler you claim to be you know god damn well this has been one of the craziest, holy-fuck-I-think-we've-just-experienced-a paradigm-shift seasons of football ever played.

Why do you think I was doing so poorly for the first half of the season?

More
08 Dec 2008 00:04 #15038 by Octavian
And just like that I'm tied for the lead. May as well pack it in, fellas. Better luck next year.

-MMM

More
08 Dec 2008 00:09 #15039 by ozjesting
Are we reading the same ladder? I see you 2 pts shy on 124 behind 126 for madfartigan. But agreed you are "right there".

Now while I am off the pace at 120 I would like to highlight yet again the "lost week" in my campaign. To have fought back to equal 4th with wiped week suggests this was a season of lost opportunity ;)

But them's the breaks.

More
08 Dec 2008 00:55 #15044 by Octavian
Those totals don't reflect today's games. I got 12. Mad got 10.

-MMM

More
08 Dec 2008 07:17 #15050 by KingPut
It looks like its coming down to Octavian and Mad. I'm 3 points down with only 3 weeks to go. That's a bit of ground to catch up unless you drink a little too much eggnog at your holiday party and start picking the Lions to win some games.

More
08 Dec 2008 15:00 #15074 by Octavian
KingPut wrote:

It looks like its coming down to Octavian and Mad. I'm 3 points down with only 3 weeks to go. That's a bit of ground to catch up unless you drink a little too much eggnog at your holiday party and start picking the Lions to win some games.

They're due!

More
09 Dec 2008 08:41 #15130 by jeb
Well, he's officially in the lead. I'll admit that Octavian does know more about football than me. I don't follow football for shit, really. I like the Pats, being from Massachu, but football is not my bag by any stretch.

To all of you that do care about football, here is my method for picking games:

When you get a reminder for the week, log in and pick the favorites down the line. Save. This way you'll avoid the embarrassing "blank" on Thursday and probably get more than 7. At some point, preferably before Thursday's game, check the Vegas odds. Some games will be blowouts--ignore them. Some games will have a mix of pick, +1.5, maybe a +2.5. Select three of those games and flip them. Some weeks you'll look like a genius, having selected the underdog(s). Some weeks you'll look like a goat when your underdogs bag it and other underdogs win. Like me, this week. Fucking Atlanta.

I have predilections towards the Pats, Bills, and picking against the Jets, but those don't get in the way too much. I think about snow this time of year against teams from the south. Again, not too much.

In sum, I spend maybe twenty minutes a week on Pickem--most spent on looking at the scores on Sunday; reading about the close games. I'm still in it--I think Octavian is due for a sub-par week which will get me back.

My pick for this week? Go (uh) Bears!

More
29 Dec 2008 19:58 #15850 by KingPut
We are not worthy, Octavian. You do know more about football. I saved my best week of the year 14 out 16 for this week to close the gap down to 1 game and to sneak ahead of MadFartigan but I fell 1 game short.

1 Octavian knows more than you 166
2 Maker's Mark 165
3 MadFartigan 164
4 DamnEagles 161
5 TheKingInYellow 159
6 Billy Z. 158
7 Ink-Stained Wretches 150
8 ozjesting 147
9 He Hate Me 144
10 Mr Incredible 124

More
30 Dec 2008 01:17 #15855 by Octavian
That was a crazy season. I hate week 17 for pickem. Too unpredictable. This year I went with my wishlist of results...so my picks had New England making it to the playoffs due to a NYJ win and Atlanta scooping the 2 seed...which nearly happened with that crazy almost-comeback by NO.

I hope Carolina makes it to the Superbowl or else that's going to be one dull game as I don't see any other NFC team competing with any of the viable (read: non-Dolphin) AFC teams.

-MMM

More
30 Dec 2008 11:28 #15868 by mikoyan
Until they get knocked off, you have to go with the champs. If they get that running game and their defense going, the Giants will be tough to beat.

More
30 Dec 2008 12:57 #15878 by Octavian
"the champs"...pfffft. Please. They were lucky to be in the playoffs last year and lucky to win that Superbowl. That earns them no respect for this year. Earning the 1 seed this year is worthy of some respect, but Plaxico shooting himself really hurts their chances.

I did overlook Philly though. They can do some damage.

-MMM

More
30 Dec 2008 13:03 #15880 by JoelCFC25
I can't wait to see Vikings fan crying this Sunday around 6:30 pm. Vegas has given them the 2nd worst odds of winning the Super Bowl (and rightly so). Underdogs at home against Philthy...I foresee Westbrook getting upwards of 250 total yards of offense.

Oh, and T Jack will throw a couple of brain-dead interceptions to torpedo the Vikes' chances. Or Peterson will have more fumble-itis.

More
30 Dec 2008 13:40 #15884 by mikoyan
Octavian wrote:

"the champs"...pfffft. Please. They were lucky to be in the playoffs last year and lucky to win that Superbowl. That earns them no respect for this year. Earning the 1 seed this year is worthy of some respect, but Plaxico shooting himself really hurts their chances.

I did overlook Philly though. They can do some damage.

-MMM

The Champs won the Super Bowl against the team that everyone had annointed to walk away with it all. In fact, the pundits were pretty much of the opinion that the Champs had no business being on the same field with the Annointed Ones. Brady was supposed to wipe the field with the Lesser Manning. And it seems like they are flying under the radar again. I don't think Spartoon shooting himself hurts their chances that much as they are a team.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds