October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Octavian knows more (football) than you - update!

More
13 Jan 2009 10:15 #16872 by Octavian
milgate wrote:

Best line I've seen in reference to the non-call on the Ravens' delay-of-game: "This is the NFL playoffs. Sometimes you get extra time to snap the ball, and sometimes you're allowed to make an illegal forward pass on a kickoff return."

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Don't remind me.

Best line I've read in reference to the Conference Championship games:

Over/Under for the NFC Championship will be around 60. Over/Under for the AFC Championship will be 4.

-MMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2009 11:34 #16885 by mikoyan
Octavian wrote:

Octavian wrote:

If Philly meets the Giants, the Eagles will have their way with em.

-MMM

See what happens when Eli's bad throws actually get picked off. Worst #1 seed ever :)

No, the worst #1 seed ever was the Patriots....just because....The second worst ever was the Cowboys...again...just because.

More
18 Jan 2009 16:12 #17430 by milgate
Octavian wrote:

milgate wrote:

Best line I've seen in reference to the non-call on the Ravens' delay-of-game: "This is the NFL playoffs. Sometimes you get extra time to snap the ball, and sometimes you're allowed to make an illegal forward pass on a kickoff return."

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Don't remind me.

Best line I've read in reference to the Conference Championship games:

Over/Under for the NFC Championship will be around 60. Over/Under for the AFC Championship will be 4.

-MMM

Yeah, I guess it's only right that, when karma comes back to bite the Titans on the ass, it's the Bills who should have benefited.

More
18 Jan 2009 16:14 #17431 by milgate
Uh, Matt ... if the Eagles don't stop answering Arizona touchdowns with field goals, you might want to reconsider your "does anyone seriously think the Cardinals can win?" attitude.

More
18 Jan 2009 18:23 #17441 by milgate
I think Matt should surrender his "knows more about football" title. :)

(Yeah, I picked the Cardinals in print in my newspaper this week, but for no real football reason that made any sense. Just a hunch - and a dislike of the Eagles).

More
18 Jan 2009 22:44 #17454 by Octavian
Yeah...I was 0 for 2 this weekend. Well, at least I'll have absolutely no temptation to go against the AFC in the Superbowl. The combination of schadenfreude and seeing McNabb finally get a ring would have been enough to root for the Eagles against the Steelers, but no way to I want to see ANOTHER crappy NFC team get on a lucky/hot streak at the end to win an undeserved title :)

-MMM

More
19 Jan 2009 09:32 #17490 by Bullwinkle
Obviously the Cardinals were a surprise, even after they beat Atlanta and Carolina (although that's no big deal, really). I don't understand why people were picking the Ravens, though. They clearly deserved to be beaten by Tennessee, and would have been but for Tennessee's own mistakes.

More
19 Jan 2009 11:34 #17499 by Octavian
Bullwinkle wrote:

I don't understand why people were picking the Ravens, though. They clearly deserved to be beaten by Tennessee, and would have been but for Tennessee's own mistakes.

Because one game doesn't make a trend. Just because they played one poor game doesn't mean we should expect the next game to be played poorly as well - particularly when all the evidence suggests that their average performance level is much better than that.

-MMM

More
19 Jan 2009 11:46 #17502 by Ken B.
Cardinals have gotten hot at just the right time.

The Titans found the worst possible time to go cold. I'm sure they would have traded their #1 seed and record for the "proper" time to get hot.

It did suck that the "reward" for being the #1 seed was the "wildcard" Ravens at 12 and freakin' 4.

Bleh.

I can't stand the Ravens anyway, but I do like Pittsburgh. I think the Cardinals' magic runs out here. Yay Cardinals, you beat the best the NFC had to offer. Meanwhile, the Steelers have been playing the 'real' NFL. Good luck with that, Cards.

More
19 Jan 2009 21:42 #17574 by Ryan B.
Ken B. wrote:

Cardinals have gotten hot at just the right time.

The Titans found the worst possible time to go cold. I'm sure they would have traded their #1 seed and record for the "proper" time to get hot.

It did suck that the "reward" for being the #1 seed was the "wildcard" Ravens at 12 and freakin' 4.

Bleh.

I can't stand the Ravens anyway, but I do like Pittsburgh. I think the Cardinals' magic runs out here. Yay Cardinals, you beat the best the NFC had to offer. Meanwhile, the Steelers have been playing the 'real' NFL. Good luck with that, Cards.

Seinfeld Quote: "Risk, the game of world domination. Being played by two guys that can't even run their own lives."

All of ya,

Don't be one of these off-bandwagon pundits trying to be experts on the Cardinals, who maybe have seen them play a couple of games all year. Now, if this game was being played up North, with only 5 days to gameplan, the Cardinals would probably lose. However, with two weeks to prepare and playing in Tampa (where I live), the game conditions will be ideal to suit their style of play. I've been a Cardinal fan for 34 years and Jim Hart was my AD at SIU-C. I had the opportunity to talk with him about the Cardinals and intimately know (in a way you guys NEVER will) their losing culture.

DO NOT COUNT THE CARDINALS OUT ON THIS.

In every game of importance I have ever watched with the Cardinals from '77 onward, I always got this sinking feeling about what was going to happen next. And it happened (never good) *100%* of the time until '98.

On this game against the Meagles, until the final score (whereupon I freaked out), I was very calm.... because I knew the Cardinals were going to win in the last 3 minutes. I have NEVER been like that or had that feeling before.

Why?

Because the Cardinals now believe they can win *any* game they are in. A HUGE difference from even 3 weeks ago. Actually, the seeds were sown in the MNF game against San Francisco where they barely hung on to win... but they still WON. But after the Atlanta game and the second Carolina offense series where they forced the turnover... that gave them the much needed confidence to do what all of the other good teams regularly do. And it gave them the power of belief.

And remember, what belief did for the Boston Red Sox? Now they have two championships in just a couple of years. And any of you who PLAY sports know just how important psychology is to winning.

The Cardinals may not win the SuperBowl; they may even get blown out... but it won't be because of their past culture.

But,as for me, I believe the Arizona Cardinals will win Superbowl 43.

GO BIG RED! ROCK the house, baby.

More
19 Jan 2009 23:25 #17576 by Space Ghost
Ryan --

I am disgusted/surprised that you remained a Cardinals fan after they left St. Louis. What inspired the loyalty to them -- they definitely did not show loyalty to their fans.

More
20 Jan 2009 22:16 #17696 by Ryan B.
Space Ghost wrote:

Ryan --

I am disgusted/surprised that you remained a Cardinals fan after they left St. Louis. What inspired the loyalty to them -- they definitely did not show loyalty to their fans.

Well sometimes you still give people your loyalty, regardless. If its always quid pro quo, then its not loyalty anyway, right?

GO CARDINALS!

More
20 Jan 2009 22:53 #17705 by The King in Yellow
Ryan, I can't help but respect your belief, but as far as confidence goes, the Steelers have it in spades. Pittsburgh also believes that it is their professional duty to feast on opposing quarterbacks, so you might want to say a rosary or two for Kurt Warner.

More
20 Jan 2009 23:02 #17708 by Octavian
The King in Yellow wrote:

Ryan, I can't help but respect your belief, but as far as confidence goes, the Steelers have it in spades. Pittsburgh also believes that it is their professional duty to feast on opposing quarterbacks, so you might want to say a rosary or two for Kurt Warner.

That extends well past the team. Pittsburghers in general feel that it is their city's teams' god-given right to be sports champions (excepting baseball, of course, where they hope only for a .500 season).

-MMM

More
21 Jan 2009 11:16 #17757 by The King in Yellow
Octavian wrote:

That extends well past the team. Pittsburghers in general feel that it is their city's teams' god-given right to be sports champions (excepting baseball, of course, where they hope only for a .500 season).

-MMM

The Pittsburgh Steelers are probably the best-run organization in professional sports, and they do remain competative every year, pretty much. So it's not unrealistic for a Pittsburgh fan to expect that their team might go to the championship.
I can easily understand how a Buffalo Bills fan might feel out-of-place in a town that possesses such nonstop confidence.
;)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds