October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What was your most-played game of 2017 and WHY?

More
19 Jan 2018 09:47 #261466 by Legomancer
Terraforming Mars, a favorite around here.

Qwixx, the wife and family enjoy it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2018 09:49 #261467 by SuperflyPete

cranberries wrote: Unmarked, untraceable cash is rare when you're married.

Truer words have never been spoken. In my house, when mama wants something, she gets it. When I want something, there is a 10 day waiting period where I have to “whore myself out” (her words, not mine) and sell shit.

I’ve sold 90% of the games I owned. I’ve sold 70% of the miniatures I’ve owned. I’ve sold 70% of the terrain I’ve owned.

Now I have a new laptop (which made making SEAL Team Flix easier), two amps, 8 guitars, and a rifle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Jan 2018 10:21 #261478 by Michael Barnes

Sagrilarus wrote: Acquire is a game you have to play five or six times before you start getting the hang of it. I’ve been in conversations where people indicate that it’s too arbitrary but that’s almost never the case if you take some care. But that only comes after you’ve seen the action on the board a dozen or more times.

I also recorded a podcast where one of the other people there, who hadn’t played much indicated that it needed a catch-up mechanism. Young’ns say the darnedest things.

Poppycock. Acquire has a catch-up mechanic. It’s called smart investing.

People get so hung up on the lotto part of the game, the tile draw, that they miss that the game is really about speculative investment more than running the biggest or more successful company. Part of what makes the game so good is that you can win doing exactly that, but you can also win by investing shrewdly in companies that seem to have a good growth forecast- if you have a few contiguous tiles in hand, or if you have a critics tile that would cause a merger you can use that “insider” knowledge to your advantage. There is as much money to be made in what other people are doing as what you are doing and I think a lot of beginner players miss that aspect of it, gunning for the big majorities in the largest or sharkiest companies.

OMG Acquire is so good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
19 Jan 2018 10:38 #261484 by Shellhead
It's not unusual for Acquire players to find themselves broke and just playing tiles for a while. It tends to happen somewhere between 6 to 10 turns into the game, depending on a player's investing style and the overall board layout. Eventually, the tile play will lead to mergers and people will get flush with cash again if they are able to sell some shares during specific mergers.

Acquire is an abstract representation of a niche within the stock market, but the board layout does convey some information to investors. Companies started in the middle of the board have a better chance of going big, while companies started closer to the edges are more likely to remain small and eventually get merged into larger entities. If you want to avoid running out of cash, invest in small companies that are close to larger companies. Your current tiles can help guide your choices, if you have the ability to make something bigger and you can leverage that knowledge for your purchases. Usually the best deal in the later turns of the game is the chance to trade in your small company shares for big company shares at a 2:1 ratio during a merger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, stoic

More
24 Jan 2018 23:16 #262108 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: Fun, love reading these threads.

Mine is Harry Potter Hogwarts battle, my wife loves it and I think it's fine.

Second was Eldritch Horror which hit a high this year for me but has cooled just a little in the back half of the year.

Me too. Although Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle might be disqualified as a filler, since we mostly play it as one.

I was surprised that my second most played was Eldritch Horror. I think it got a few extra plays in this year because I got a couple of small expansions, one for my birthday, and one for Chanukah, so we had to try them out. Those few extra plays pushed it past the two games which tied for third most played, Spurs and Escape from 100 Million BC
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
26 Jan 2018 08:06 #262194 by Erik Twice
Unsurprisingly, it's Netrunner. I haven't actually played it at all in the last few months but I played hundreds of games just to practise for Nationals and no other game will ever come close.

Besides that, I played a ton of Terraforming Mars. I'm over 100 plays right now. And while more than half of them are solo plays, I've played it a lot with a ton of different people. Very fun, love getting this out sometimes when I have nothing to play.

The next game on the list would be Comic Encounter (about 17 games) and then Gloomhaven (about 10 games).

More
26 Jan 2018 08:36 #262196 by Mr. White
Most played game that came out in 2017? Probably Shadespire or Monopoly Gamer.

More
26 Jan 2018 10:28 #262228 by Sagrilarus

Erik Twice wrote: Besides that, I played a ton of Terraforming Mars. I'm over 100 plays right now.

I am vastly overemployed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
26 Jan 2018 10:53 #262230 by Vlad
Warhammer 40K. I never played it before, and I'm pretty new to miniatures games in general. I absolutely did not expect to like it as much I do.
First of all, it is obviously because of the modelling&painting component. Over the last couple of years it has become my daily hobby, completely replacing video games.
But I also got sucked into playing the game. Because it was really easy to get into (at least, when it just came out). And it has an an engaging meta, specially when you start playing on regular basis against the same opponents, and each of you customize your army after every encounter. Which involves buying and painting more models. So the painting&modelling aspect feeds into gameplay nicely. I've spent tons of money on this, of course, but one the other hand, I never felt like it was money wasted, since I got more mileage from painting&playing these expensive toys than from buying an average boardgame that would get played a couple of times and than gather dust on the shelf. And I have not bought a PS4 game in a very long time.

More
26 Jan 2018 12:21 #262245 by Erik Twice

Sagrilarus wrote:

Erik Twice wrote: Besides that, I played a ton of Terraforming Mars. I'm over 100 plays right now.

Well, I am vastly undermeployed but I don't think it's that odd when you think about it. If you can put just an hour and a half per day you can probably play two games of TM solo. Play it every other day and you'll also get over a hundred plays.

More
28 Jan 2018 07:05 #262359 by LilRed
2017 has been such a slow year for me boardgamingwise. Games I played the most were:

Pandemic Legacy Season 1:
Tho I dont hold the original in such high regard, our group fell in love with the evolving gameplay. It's too bad that other games with legacy mechanics either dont have a compelling enough game at its core (seafall, pandemic season 2, gloomhaven) or that it feels slapped on.

Descent 2nd edition with road to legend app:
My SO love to play this game as a conflict heavy but a coop game. The quests are pretty good and we tend to have lots of fun, playing one quest at a time.

Blood Rage:
A good DOAM with a card drafting mechanic, I actually prefer Citow but my group doesn't. Guess it's a theme thing for one part and one part playing with old magic players that actually love the carddrafting. Guess I like the assymetric part more of Citow, as there are multiple ways to victory and each faction plays different.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike, stoic

More
28 Jan 2018 08:24 #262360 by Sagrilarus

Erik Twice wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Well, I am vastly undermeployed but I don't think it's that odd when you think about it. If you can put just an hour and a half per day you can probably play two games of TM solo. Play it every other day and you'll also get over a hundred plays.

Didn’t realize it was that quick solo.

More
28 Jan 2018 12:04 #262368 by Josh Look
Star Trek Ascendancy and Vast: The Crystal Caverns for me. Given how much difficulty people seem to have getting those games played, I think I’m doing something right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
28 Jan 2018 12:33 #262370 by Gary Sax
Yeah, specifically having a legit crew of gamers that likes to play the same game enough times to actually learn more about it than the rules. Also known as anti-BGG holy grail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Frohike

More
30 Jan 2018 10:38 #262515 by southernman

Josh Look wrote: Star Trek Ascendancy and Vast: The Crystal Caverns for me. Given how much difficulty people seem to have getting those games played, I think I’m doing something right.

For ST:A not having players eliminated or totally nerfed early game helps make it more popular, it got substituted with us after a few instances of this (and then my regular AT group shrunk to two so it hasn't come out again).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds