October 09, 2023
2803 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2942 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Return of the F:AT Music Thread

More
05 Mar 2009 10:40 #23092 by san il defanso
For whatever reason, this has been a White Stripes kinda week, particularly their debut and White Blood Cells. There is something so fascinating to me about setting limits to your music, and then seeing how hard you can push against them without breaking who you are.

That's what I think, anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2009 11:42 #23101 by Thaadd
I just got connected back to the main office at work, so I can raid *(legally!) everyone's Itunes folders. International Sales Guy and Operations Manager both have pretty good music taste.

Listening to DJ Shadow 'Endtroducing' album now, last couple days has also been:

BSG soundtracks. God this shit is good. Seriously. I've never watched the show, and I am thinking of finally trying it because I love the soundtrack.

New The Prodigy Album 'Invaders Must Die'. Rocks.

Amanda Palmer's solo album (The Dresden Dolls chick)

Funker Vogt when I want Angry

Korpiklaani (Finnish Folk Thrash)

Röksopp - poppy electronica swedish stuff.

Voltaire - because they are coming in concert tomorrow for 6$ and I want to see them and Lusurfer, a satanic surf rock band! (sounds like a fun night out)

last night I was doing boring stuff after work surfing old Iggy Pop videos on Youtube, along with Siouxie and the Banshees.

I'm waiting for some CDs in the mail too. Started making old school 'mixed cassettes' (ok, they're CDs) for international friends and trading them.

More
05 Mar 2009 11:45 #23102 by Michael Barnes
Huh...maybe we should do a F:AT mixtape trade...

More
05 Mar 2009 11:54 #23104 by MattFantastic
Hardcore, 80's pop and weirdo indie rock.

Current Hot Dishes:

Tragedy
Trial
Aesop Rock
Mew
Bane
The new Golden Age 7"
Tortoise
Dead Prez
Tegan and Sara
Verse
random 80's dance pop stuff, generally lots of synth
Hatebreed - Satisfaction is the Death of Desire
Gorilla Biscuits
Lifetime
and as always, lots of The Smiths

I'd do a mix trade but whoever got mine would probably be bummed.

More
05 Mar 2009 12:04 - 05 Mar 2009 12:12 #23105 by Thaadd
Tegan and Sara are ok...

but for an 'angry' guy, you sure have some emo chick music :D

- also, I would be down for mixing a CD or two for people. I can even do themes on request - angry, foreign, angry-foreign, electronica, happy-foreign, etc. Maybe half my music is not in English.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2009 12:12 by Thaadd.

More
05 Mar 2009 12:11 #23106 by Michael Barnes
Dead Prez...man, that first record was awesome. I didn't really follow them after that, but I was managing a Wherehouse Music when that came out. I had that on in-store play ALL the time.

I was just thinking that a mixtape trade might be a good way for Jeb to subtlely tell Mad Dog that he "likes" him.

More
05 Mar 2009 12:32 #23111 by Dogmatix
The "variables" in the last 2 week's rotation are:

Kraftwerk 1, 2 and Tone Float [their first 3 "hippie psychedelic" records]

Stiff Little Fingers Peel Sessions [if you want 1 SLF record, this is it]

Billy Bragg--Mr. Love & Justice (one edition of the CD comes with a bonus disc that is just Billy sans band performing the record; much better than the full band edition)

Michael Franti & Spearhead--both Yell Fire! and the newest one (Rebel, Roots, Rockers--can't recall at the moment)

Dave Alvin--Live in Austin (his ACL performance)

and the Ministry "side trax" disc (it's a collection of the 8 million Al Jourgensen side projects he did for WaxTrax like Acid Horse, Pailhead, and the like)

The "constants" are Grateful Dead and Widespread Panic live recordings that are always in a player somewhere:

This week, we're tripping through 1972 with the Dead and 2001 with Panic

More
05 Mar 2009 13:28 #23116 by Michael Barnes
Stiff Little Fingers Peel Sessions [if you want 1 SLF record, this is it]

That's probably true, but "Inflammable Material" is a great album and I'd probably recommend it first. God DAMN "Alternative Ulster" is an awesome song. "Suspect Device"...great, great band.

Ministry side projects...whatever happened to Buck Satan and the 666 Shooters? That one had promise.

More
05 Mar 2009 14:47 #23122 by MattFantastic
Michael Barnes wrote:

I had that on in-store play ALL the time.

Parents must have loved that.

As for my not so angry music, touring full time for years, doing a label and booking shows, one NEEDS to find other stuff to listen to. The last thing we wanted to do was get in the van after hours of getting shredded by loud bands and put on something hectic.

More
05 Mar 2009 17:43 #23142 by billyz
drmabuse00 wrote:

billyz wrote:

I'm currently on a big Strokes kick. How can you not love screamin' Pelle Ulmqvist? Hybrid of Mick Jagger ang Iggy Pop such as he is?

Doncha mean The Hives?

I'm currently digging PJ Harvey, Santigold & Tokyo Police Club.

Heh, yeah, I do mean the Hives. I was listening to "Reptilia" when I posted-- malaprops have been happening to me a lot lately... should I be worried or what?

More
05 Mar 2009 18:47 - 05 Mar 2009 18:49 #23145 by moss_icon
MattLoter wrote:

Lifetime

did you like their recent(ish) lp? i was surprised, i think it's a good un. what was your label, out of interest?

this evening i have been listening to shotmaker and spirit assembly. which i don't do as much as i should. mostly recently though i have been enjoying twee indie pop such as the amusingly named "the pains of being pure at heart", and gaze.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2009 18:49 by moss_icon.

More
05 Mar 2009 19:28 #23150 by MattFantastic
While it was no Hello Bastards, I love the new LP. Pretty much anything Dan touches turns to gold. Well except the record of mine he did gang vocals and a little piece on which never ended up coming out cause of explosive band break up drama.

I did Teishu Records, biggest thing we put out was probably the first With Honor 7". Though our best seller was the For All Its Worth LP (my first serious band), I don't think that's nearly as well known.

Did you ever get into Zero Zero or much better Miss TK? The first Miss TK record is so awesome.

More
05 Mar 2009 21:55 #23156 by BloodyJack
Michael Barnes wrote:

Huh...maybe we should do a F:AT mixtape trade...

I would totally be down with this shit...

More
05 Mar 2009 22:01 #23157 by BloodyJack
Michael Barnes wrote:

Not making it up, Bloody Jack...it's all ultra-obscure French black metal. Some CRAZY shit. Check out Mutiliiation (yes, spelled wrong to make it FUCKING GRIM) for starters. The French are the secret masters of black metal. Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Ameseours, Celestiia, Mortifera...great Gallic stuff.
quote]

So I did a google search for Mutiliiation and after assuring google that I spelled it the way I meant it, it offered me two links only... both of which were related to Male Genital Mutilation. (Apparently there is a bill in Congress. Again. Where the fuck do I sign up? and how in the ever loving shit did it not get passed the _first time_?)

So... any good links where I could check it out?

More
06 Mar 2009 00:13 #23164 by Michael Barnes
http://www.metal-archives.com/

It's ALL there. And it's Mutiiliation. "Vampires of Black Imperial Blood" is the one to get, although "Black Millenium (Grimly Reborn)" has one of the best BM cover photos ever.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds